New user question: CPL, 1000x ND, UV - Which brand?

hiepphotog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here. I just ventured into Leica land recently because of the Kolari mod. I love the optics but not very fond of the camera. As a manual-only user, transitioning from DSLR/SLR lenses to Leica lenses has been such a pleasure for me. I find that I strangely feel right at home with the short focus throw, loose but smooth focus feel and the excellent focus tab. I can track moving subject easily now; I know I would have a hard time with my SLR lenses. I am selling my Contax 55 and 85 Jahre to fund the 50 APO and possibly the future 28/1.4 (4 lenses might be too many in my book). Right now, I already have the ZM 15 and the Elmar 24. Both are beautiful, sharp optics. I just got the Lux 50 ASPH as well. Wonderful glass but I'm bit disappointed with the dip at the edge.

However, I run into a few problems with the use of filter. It's pretty hard to find an excellent UV, CPL and 1000x ND in 39mm and 46mm. I don't want to step-down ring cause it's cumbersome on the field. I shy away from B+W Nano cause I found that my Zeiss filters are superior in all respects. Too bad, Zeiss doesn't make any 46mm or 39mm filter. I also like the Hoya HD2 line, but again, they don't make any filter in 39mm. Are there any top tier brand that you would recommend? Any input would be much appreciated.

I came across this American filter maker: http://breakthrough.photography/. They don't make anything smaller than 49mm. But when I asked them, they say if there is enough interest (around 50 pre-orders), they would consider to make a custom-made run at any size. From the review, they seem to be the top filter maker right now.

Anyway, here is a set I took at a local mudbog with the Lux 50 ASPH, all WO:

16494056723_7ce3664fc2_b.jpg

17112660762_4e9fdb5a3c_b.jpg

16928002569_07c0970bbe_b.jpg

17112656562_95ba170242_b.jpg

17114182815_641dc0d1ea_b.jpg

17114180185_d7c42497fc_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice shots! I like the two group shots of the owners of the 4x4 best!

What did you find your Zeiss filters superior with over the B+W filters.

B+W filters are widely recognized as one of the few top filter manufacturers.

I have never had any issue with B+W filters and use them exclusively (mainly their single coated B&W contrast filters, but also some MRC filters for rare lenses I rather not expose to foreign objects.

I always found them perfectly fitting, machined to good tolerances and easily operating as they should.

The MRC filters work fantastic in the rain (water runs off and no drops collect on the filter).

The only disadvantage of the MRC coating as far as I have experienced is that they clean a little less easy (if smeared with finger prints).

• Like 2

Dirk, thank you for the response and your kind words. With the Zeiss, I see tiny improvement in contrast. The B+W nano does give bit more wash-out look. However, most notably would be flare reduction. I often shoot against the sun or with the sun just outside of the frame so that's what I notice.

As for the CPL, Zeiss ring tends to turn smoother without any binding. And I'm comparing the Zeiss to the latest B+W Nano version.

But at 39mm, I think I only have two choices: Heliopan and B+W nano. I haven't used the Heliopan myself, but I would trust the B+W nano more. Any other input on this? Thank you.

AFAIK the Zeiss filters are made from the same Schott glass that B&W uses. There are only a few manufacturers of optical glass in the world.

Heliopan is as good or better as any of the top brands. They do make their own rings and run a full range of sizes.

AFAIK the Zeiss filters are made from the same Schott glass that B&W uses. There are only a few manufacturers of optical glass in the world.

Heliopan is as good or better as any of the top brands. They do make their own rings and run a full range of sizes.

There are over 40 optical glass manufacturers in the USA alone.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dirk, thank you for the response and your kind words. With the Zeiss, I see tiny improvement in contrast. The B+W nano does give bit more wash-out look. However, most notably would be flare reduction. I often shoot against the sun or with the sun just outside of the frame so that's what I notice.

As for the CPL, Zeiss ring tends to turn smoother without any binding. And I'm comparing the Zeiss to the latest B+W Nano version.

But at 39mm, I think I only have two choices: Heliopan and B+W nano. I haven't used the Heliopan myself, but I would trust the B+W nano more. Any other input on this? Thank you.

I would not have expected a visible difference between the filters in image quality that can be seen.

I can relate to the "binding" CPL filter mechanics on B+W filters. I have two quite expensive larger sized B+W CPL filters for my SLRs and these do not really feel smooth in adjusting the polarizer - I don't have to use them a lot though, so they just work.

If no really nasty backlight situations are involved I can see no visible difference in image quality with the B+W MRC filters and with naked lens, as leisurely tested on MMono, Leica S2 and Nikon D800E.

I prefer to use lenses naked, if possible, use contrast filters for B&W film and the MMono without concern and use B+W 007 MRC clear protection (no filtration) filters in either wet/dirty conditions or generally on rare lenses, which could be hard to impossible to replace or repair.

I came to use exclusively B+W like the proverbial virgin to the child - I had bad experience with several cheap off brand filters and counterfeit filters, sold locally and thereafter simply procured my filters exclusively by mail order from reputable Germany and US based shops.

B+W had the widest range for weird sizes and available contrast filters I wanted, so I started with them and stuck with them.

• Like 1

I'm with Dirk here.

I dropped Hoya after trying a B+W a few years back. Small difference in clarity, but definitely there to my eyes.

Never had an issue with B+W (including the CPLs I occasionally use with my DSLR lenses, which are buttery smooth).

I haven't used Heliopan filters, although I only heard/read positive comments about them.

Dirk and Ecar, thank you for your inputs. I believe it's one of those things that you need to experience it once to see, and hearsay would not do. I used to buy only B+W, having all their latest Nano at one point from UV to CPL. I agree that they have the most extensive line-up and that their quality is generally very high. But even though they might all use the type of glass (i.e. Schott), it's the coatings that would affect things like contrast, flare, durability, hydrophobic feature, etc.

That's why company like Breakthrough Photography would get enough crowd funding even though the market, in general, is quite saturated. Quick googling shows that their X3 version is better than a B+W. The test can be quite questionable since the B+W filter was not even the latest Nano. Even the Hoya HD2 line seems to be at the top as well (lenstip test). And I know this thread might sound like another "best lens...". But I want to see what experience others have with different brands beside B+W. But after my own search, it seems like B+W might be the only choice at 39mm. I have to use step up ring for the 10-stop ND and CPL.

• Like 2