Monitor calibration??

The current version of the xRite i1 Display Pro has a good reputation.  I've used it to calibrate both desktop and video reference monitors and have discussed it with the folks at Flanders Scientific who make my video reference monitor; they seem to think it's the best in its price range.

• Like 2

Money would be better spent IMO upgrading to desktop monitor rather than using a laptop screen….then deal with calibration…in which case the above referenced xRite is a good option.  Some desktop monitors also have built in calibration software (Spectraview for NEC) and hardware (Eizo).  Of those, NEC is less expensive.  If you're going to care about a calibrated print workflow, investing in a good monitor is key.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I use the Datacolor Spyder4 Pro, only for calibrating my laptop screen (since that's what I do most of my editing on). You may need to get the "Elite" model if you're also calibrating your printer. I rent the printer I use, and let them deal with that. The Spyder is very easy and quick to use, and I set it up to remind me to calibrate the screen every couple of weeks, and that turns out to be necessary. I think they may have a newer model coming out, so look for that.

I tried the Colormunki first, but for some reason the program could not connect with its own device, so I returned it.

• Like 1

If you are serious about colour fidelity, do bite the bullet and buy an approved graphics monitor. Then consider the XRite  photometer referenced above. The i1Pro is very good. I bought one when my old Optix model was no longer supported by  ColorNavigator, the software I use with my Eizo monitors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I thought, they just announced version 5 of the Spyder:

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/04/25/datacolor-launches-spyder5-monitor-calibration-solutions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PhotographyBay+%28Photography+Bay%29

Reading the promo material, I may have mis-spoken about using it for printer calibration. Looks like it does monitors and projectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The current version of the xRite i1 Display Pro has a good reputation.  I've used it to calibrate both desktop and video reference monitors and have discussed it with the folks at Flanders Scientific who make my video reference monitor; they seem to think it's the best in its price range.

As another owner of a Flanders monitor I second the recommendation for the xRite i1 Display Pro. The probe is also recommended by a company called Lightillusion that deals in very high end monitor calibration across the broadcast and movie industry.

Some years ago (7?) I purchased a decent monitor from EIZO plus an i1 Photo Pro calibrator for monitor and printer calibration. Having used the two I am very happy with the results and consistency between monitor and print output.

However, I am not entirely convinced that the monitor calibrator was a useful purchase. Yes, I needed to do a calibration at the start to get the monitor set up in the first place but I really question wether the monitor has drifted in colour output at all in the years that I have had it. In fact, if I load a profile I made with this set up from seven(ish) years ago and compare the output to a profile made today - honestly, I really can't see a difference. Which makes me think that I could just as well have used a profile direct from EIZO and had consistent results without the added expense. Maybe that is what you get when you buy a decent monitor ... better consistency over time? But really, do LCD's drift anyway? I know that old CRT monitors did drift but they are a completely different story to a modern LCD which is essentially solid state. I couldn't comment on laptop monitors though, I guess they will inevitably be a compromise??

As for print calibration, I spent ages messing around making my own print profiles with the i1 for all the different papers I use on my Epson 4800 printer. Good results but what a complete pain! In the end I purchased a copy of ImagePrint RIP software and the results far exceed what I could ever manage making my own profiles. ImagePrint effectively dumps the Epson drivers and directly controls the printer itself using professionally made bespoke profiles. The final print quality is stunning and a very close match to what I see on the screen. I'm really happy with the results and find the set up so much easier than messing around making profiles.

• Like 1

IPS:

Well, you are sitting on a high end monitor and the EIZO are designed for longterm stability. But for accurate color calibration you will need a probe. 

A LCD will drift, but nothing like a CRT did. We used to retire our Sony Artisan 520 CRT screens every three years

Edited by thrid

Thrid, Yes that is true ... the EIZO is high end and so maybe my impression of the lack of need for continual calibration is somewhat skewed. Maybe other LCD's drift more and for sure it is common wisdom to calibrate regularly so I guess it is genuinely needed. Not entirely sure what drifts within the electronics to cause colour changes over time though? Honestly, I would be surprised if a half decent modern LCD drifts much at all.

Eizo color Edge.  Pay the money.   Laptop screens do not calibrate well because of no control over backlighting, only brightness.

I bought a new MacBook Air to work off site where I have much spare time.    Calibrate the color balance of the camera with Whi Bal Card.   Do not adjust color in the computer.  If required, use the color bal control in raw by clicking on light grey.   It reads the file, not the screen so ignore what you see.

Trying to set color and density by eye is not an easy task even with the best monitors unless you do it frequently.   Use the measuring tools.       

Second turn on the highlight and shadow warning in raw or Lightroom   and adjust to get a decent black point.   Printers use that to set exposure commercially.  Have them turn OFF image intelligence.  

Make sure you do not blow highlights.   

I set raw to JPEG when processing for disks or online viewing or prints to be made commercially.   This color space matches screens and printing paper.   But you need to work out your process. to match final use.  

But if you elect to proceed,  The Color Edge is best and self calibrated every 50 to 100 hours.  You only will use the tool on first set up.   Perhaps borrow or rent.  you need a very dark room.  I run mine at night, darkening shades down and all lights off, door closed.

You can also think about a Wacom Centiq 13" 

Thrid, Yes that is true ... the EIZO is high end and so maybe my impression of the lack of need for continual calibration is somewhat skewed. Maybe other LCD's drift more and for sure it is common wisdom to calibrate regularly so I guess it is genuinely needed. Not entirely sure what drifts within the electronics to cause colour changes over time though? Honestly, I would be surprised if a half decent modern LCD drifts much at all.

The Eizo and other high end units have circuitry that constantly monitors the panel and attempts to keep the display quality even across its surface and over time. Some are even 'self calibrating', but personally I prefer an external probe.

I've seen more pedestrian LCD screens drift over time. There is a loss of contrast and color shift problems. The florescent tubes used for back lighting will deteriorate over time, that's just a given. LED are far more stable, but sooner or later everything goes. :-)

Edited by thrid

The EIZO monitors are excellent but pricey and may be overkill for many people.

I also highly recommend the HP Dreamcolor series, which run about $1200-1500. These are very popular in visual effects and TV/Movie film post production. This is a outstanding monitor that will even properly display rec709 for video work. You can buy them with a probe included.

Also some of the NEC Spectracolor models, if you are working in sRGB / Adobe color space for printing. They won't do rec709, but that's only for broadcast video work. About $1200 and some come with a calibration probe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Review your monitor's manual to determine compatibility issues with calibration tools. I use a Colormunki to calibrate my Macbook Pro monitor. I am considering purchasing an external, a Dell, and it turns out it requires the  xRite i1 Display Pro for calibration. The Colormunki will not work.