Can't stand wondering any longer...Renting an M-E and Summarit

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do not get dissuaded by many of the posts here. Go ahead with your plan. $300 is well worth it, and maybe you can even negotiate the rental toward purchase. Four days will give you enough of a feel for the M experience. Just focus slowly and deliberately and you will be fine immediately. The 50mm Summarit will be nice and should give you good results, and you can later decide whether you want to purchase the M-E with a 35cron or a 50mm. I wouldn't worry about the sensor corrosion either since Leica stands behind their product. Who knows, you may decide to buy a used M240 instead, but you definitely have to go through with this test to see if the Leica experience is for you.

• Like 1

If $300 is cash you can easily spend, go ahead and test drive.

In my experience it will cost you less to buy a second hand Leica M of any kind (preferably a M6 or even a M8) and a nice lens to go with it and sell the entire package should you not be satisfied.

This way you REALLY get some time with the gear AND you save those $300.

I did this myself with buying a Leica M6 classic + 35/2 Summicron ASPH from a shop as my first Leica.

The Summicron turned out to be defective so I got a great deal on a 50 Summilux ASPH from the shop, This M6 + 50 Summilux was my test ride for about a year when I started the long spiral into Leica M addiction.

At some point I sold the 50 Summilux at a nice profit and bought another lens - something you cannot do with rented or borrowed kit.

Today my starter kit of choice would be:

Leica M6 (classic or TTL) + 35/2.5 Summarit

Leica M8.2 + 28/2 Summicron ASPH

Leica M9 + 35/2.5 Summarit

There is a seemingly endless list of substitute lenses from many manufacturers and many vintages in a price range from ~$200 - $2500 second hand for a nice 35mm.

I would not spend $300 on a service when I could steer the same amount of money directly towards a great 35mm lens.

I would not spend $300 on a service when I could steer the same amount of money directly towards a great 35mm lens.

But that's the point; I may not decide to purchase Leica at all. In the scheme of things, I've wasted a LOT more than $300.00 on camera gear in the past so while it's not "nothing," I have to find out IF this is a direction I want to go.

Well, since a small lad, when I ha my first real job at the pristine age of 11 years old, I had to learn quickly about the mechanics of earning and spending money.

To me spending $300 on the service of someone else's allowance to use gear I don't own is a larger cost than buying my own gear and selling it later if not satisfied.

With the choices listed above chances are that the actual cost of such a transaction is not exceeding $300.

If you do the shopping clever and selling to your advantage you might as well make enough profit in the process to buy a second Fuji X camera ;-)

… not trying to persuade anyone but very often I see people deciding on the cost and monetary value of things and just talk about up front costs without calculating in future resale value.

Resale Value - that's the two magic words with most gear with the Leica M label on it (digital gear being the big exception of course, but how low can second hand Leica M8 prices fall?).

In any case - getting some quality time with a Leica M to make up your mind is a good way of making a decision - one costs you little upfront but is guaranteed to be gone once spent, the other costs you a lot more up front (the same as you would be willing to spend once you make a decision to go for a Leica M anyway) and chances are you don't loose $300 in the process.

I have had many Leica lenses actually which cost me no money to use for an extended time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, since a small lad, when I ha my first real job at the pristine age of 11 years old, I had to learn quickly about the mechanics of earning and spending money.

To me spending $300 on the service of someone else's allowance to use gear I don't own is a larger cost than buying my own gear and selling it later if not satisfied.

With the choices listed above chances are that the actual cost of such a transaction is not exceeding $300.

If you do the shopping clever and selling to your advantage you might as well make enough profit in the process to buy a second Fuji X camera ;-)

… not trying to persuade anyone but very often I see people deciding on the cost and monetary value of things and just talk about up front costs without calculating in future resale value.

Resale Value - that's the two magic words with most gear with the Leica M label on it (digital gear being the big exception of course, but how low can second hand Leica M8 prices fall?).

In any case - getting some quality time with a Leica M to make up your mind is a good way of making a decision - one costs you little upfront but is guaranteed to be gone once spent, the other costs you a lot more up front (the same as you would be willing to spend once you make a decision to go for a Leica M anyway) and chances are you don't loose $300 in the process.

I have had many Leica lenses actually which cost me no money to use for an extended time.

Here's what I propose; you send me $6000.00 US, I'll use the camera for a month, see if I like it, and when I sell it for a profit, I'll give you 80% of that profit.

You don't have to lift a finger and you make money! :)

Selling gear can be a hassle. Ebay fees, dealing with buyers, a new product may come out by the time etc. Everyone is comparing these days with the time the M8 came out when everything Leica just appreciated. $300 is not nothing, but it makes a whole lot of sense if it either ignites your passion or dissuades you from spending a ton more. I'm sorry to say, but trying out a film M will not give you the same experience, and unless you are completely set up for a film workflow, it will cost you a whole lot more in film stock, processing, and scanning. Then you still won't know whether you would like a digital M. I can't wait to hear about your experience.

• Like 1

I think it's not a bad idea at all to rent and try out the rangefinder experience. I arrived at a M6 years ago having used SLRs and compact point and shoots. I shoot mainly street/urban/architecture. It's not for the focussing speed I went to Leicas, it was for what I could see through the viewfinder. It is incomparable. You see more of the scene and you respond differently than when peering at using a SLR or small compact viewfinder.

I think you can get an idea if that matters to you in the space of a few days, even if the mechanics of focussing with a rangefinder or hyperfocal focussing takes a bit of time getting right.

Good luck and hope it's fun.

• Like 2

The Summarits (all of them) are absolutely WONDERFUL lenses.  I have the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit and the 50mm f/2 Summicron, and if I had it all to do again, I would have bought the 50mm Summarit instead of the Summicron (the Cron is fantastic as well).

M-E cameras are a bit difficult to find right now, my guess is that it will soon be discontinued.  I went ahead and ordered one on Wednesday from Ken Hansen who still had stock (not sure if he has another or not).  B&H and Adorama are both back-ordered.  My M-E is currently showing "out for delivery" with USPS, and I am extremely excited.

Personally, I don't need anything that the M240 (or the M9/M9P for that matter) offers over the M-E and am excited that I can buy a CCD Leica brand-new at a good price.  With Leica standing behind the sensors, I am not the least apprehensive and anticipate using my new M-E and my now 2-year-old M Monochrom for many, many years to come.

• Like 1

Well..I switched gears.

I decided to merge the idea of "buying" with my idea of renting so I found a used E- M9 on Adorama's site and a used E- 35mm Summarit 2.5.

I have 30 days to figure out if I like the experience or not; otherwise, it goes back (assuming I didn't drop anything.) Adorama has a "30 days no questions asked" policy.

That saves me the $300.00 with minimal risk and since I got it with "6 months same as cash" through Paypal...I won't even pay any interest while I decide.

• Like 2

First post here though, lurking for ages.

In March, I bought an M9, after a couple of weeks, I returned it for an M-E. I returned the M9 because I NEVER use the preview lever on my M6, I don't need USB and honestly? I like the way the M-E looks and that it's the latest iteration of the CCD line. Leica's statement on the sensor issue removed any doubts. I considered the M but after shooting one for a few days, decided that I like the M9/ccd 'Look'. Until the M-E, the best digital camera I've ever used is my Digilux 3. 

After 30 minutes, I felt as comfortable with the M-E as with my M6. After spending Easter weekend shooting the M6 and M-E documenting water issues at a Pistachio ranch, I started to wonder about selling my Canon DSLRs and lenses. Probably need to keep them though for those times when only a DSLR will do.

As far as the 'four days is not enough time' Maybe, maybe not - I've been shooting M3,4,5s and my 6 for so long that I am not a good judge of how long it takes to adapt to an RF. I've had a Fuji X100t that I use as a 'point-n-shoot' for street work since November - the menu system still vexes me sometimes. The simplicity of the Leica menu should be a great help to learning the M-E. 

My only suggestion is to configure a profile to shoot DNG with a B/W jpg. This is my favorite feature of the camera so far.

• Like 1

First post here though, lurking for ages.

My only suggestion is to configure a profile to shoot DNG with a B/W jpg. This is my favorite feature of the camera so far.

Well..I switched gears.

I decided to merge the idea of "buying" with my idea of renting so I found a used E- M9 on Adorama's site and a used E- 35mm Summarit 2.5.

You've done well... a good system.

You'll know very quickly if the rangefinder system suits you.  Then a bit longer to get used to the menus, and the camera itself.

Carry it, use it...you'll be a Leicophile in no time... :p

Charge your single battery overnight, and shoot 50 images a day.  Shoot to test the sensor...set to go!!

You've come from electronic finder and screens.  One can focus in much lower light levels with the rangefinder method.  I just can't work the electronic finders in low low light...yuck...

The optical viewfinder, I'm sure you'll find a revelation.

cheers  Dave S :D

Edited by david strachan

Well..I switched gears.

I have 30 days to figure out if I like the experience or not; otherwise, it goes back (assuming I didn't drop anything.) Adorama has a "30 days no questions asked" policy.

That saves me the $300.00 with minimal risk and since I got it with "6 months same as cash" through Paypal...I won't even pay any interest while I decide.

Attaboy … seriously, congrats - a great kit to start and even saved you some money towards another lens, a spare battery or airfare for a trip ;-)

Make sure to have a good read through the FAQ regarding the Leica M9 here on the forum - lots of great info on all things regarding the quirks and special characteristics on this camera.

The 35/2.5 Summarit is a great little lens, inheriting all the best characteristics, what make the M so special (small size, great quality).

Make sure to shoot the M9 in DNG mode to get the best out of the camera (you can have JPG enabled as well to have some quick files to share without developing DNG files).

Most important tip re. M9: it is one of the few digital cameras, that is REALLY picky about which SD cards to use.

Some samples of the M9 seem to take any card you throw at it, some seem to throw a fit with any card, but a very few special ones.

Read about it here in the forum, there is a thread dedicated to what SD cards fit best with these picky cameras.

I wish you good luck and - use the camera a lot! If you learn to like RF cameras, the M9 will give you many years of great use (it is the very first digital RF camera that REALLY was right about many, many things, the M8 or EPSON R-D1 before it did not get right yet.

I once had a Fuji. X100s. I gave it to my dad otherwise I would not use my Leicas. But, I'm glad I did. M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8, M9 and so on.. they are all a joy! I see no reason to upgrade from my M9. I will use it until the day it stops working. You got yourself a camera for years. Congrats!

Attention!

M9 in da house!

(Too bad the battery is charging...no pics to show.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ok...here is my reaction:

Wow.

Just wow to the files this thing spits out. Talk about "filmlike"

I can't show you my first shot because it's black...the lens cap was on but here is the second one. I can say that I'll have to get used to the feel of it and the weight and the funny shutter sound, after my X100T it feels like a tank.

I MIGHT have to get a diopter; I shoot without my glasses and the framelines weren't incredibly crisp but serviceable.

I'm also very slow to focus, it was a funny/strange first impression.

I can't wait to get off work so I can shoot this thing.

PS: The Eye Fi Mobi card worked just great in it. No issues and fast file transfers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!