small flash for m240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do any of our esteemed members know if the Nissin i40 flash will work with the M? It's a great, full-featured flash and best of all, it's not huge in stature when mounted on the M. The flash does shoot TTL, which I'm not interested in. I just want A mode, or even just fullly manual. Nissin does make specific camera brand i40's, to accommodate the TTL function of the flash. I plant to use the sony-branded version of this flash. Thanks in-advance for any comments!

The Nissin i40 is indeed a neat small well featured flash that both tilts and swivels. I have the Micro Four Thirds version which is stated to be compatible with the Olympus and Panasonic m43 system. It is also claimed to be compatible with the Panasonic made Leicas but unfortunately not with the M or X series. I have found that it works very well with my D-Lux 109 but not at all with the M240. I doubt if the Sony version would work any better. While it has an "A" setting this is not the same as the auto thyristor setting found in many older flashes but means that it is automatically controlled by settings on the camera. The arrangement of the contacts in the hotshoe are not the same as those in the Leica M series.

The new Leica SF26 is a neat small flash that works very well in TTL mode on the Leica M and X series. It tilts but does not swivel. Like all Leica equipment it is expensive.

Small and HSS does not fit well into one flash, as HSS needs power, usually provided by a bigger amount of batteries, found usually in larger strobes.

a little bit bigger maybe but not as big as the SF 58 , and without HSS I don't buy a flash anymore

Hey rbaron, thanks for the "Bolt" suggestion!   Just ordered on Amazon.  It doesn't have the capabilities of the i40, but what it does have is the sync socket, so I can easily trigger an off camera shoe flash providing more interesting lighting ratios. This will be perfect for event grip-and-grin situations. Given that most of my M shooting is fairly wide open, the low power of this unit is actually a benefit.  I greatly appreciate your input.

The Metz 26 AF-1 looks idetical to the SF26 - Metz usually makes Leica's flashes - is compatible with Olympus and Panasonic cameras in addition to Leicas and is 1/3rd of the price. At least from B&H. Seems like a good deal to me. If it does work I'll have a hard look at it as a portable flash. The one thing I haven't been able to get used to with the SF24 is that it does not tilt.

Cheers, Carl 

• Like 1

I heard that the Metz 26 AF-1 does NOT work with the M.

Another question...do the new 'digital' flashes still work with my M4 and M3?  My Metz 36 certainly works across digital/analog, but is too large.  The Bolt is the same as the Metz 20C2, just cheaper.  

I still carry a Rollei 121BC at times, small size and ok for occasional fill in.  GN 20 at 100ASA=almost 30 at 200ASA.  But bounce would be nice at times.

mecablitz 20 C-2

This old thread might be interesting in regards small swivel head flash on Leica M.

I always wanted to try one but never came around.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/20178-m8-and-olympus-fl-36-flashworks/

I handled one once in a store and tried it on a camera and it was a nice, compact, fully functional flash unit (A + M mode with the M I tried it on).

The Metz 26 AF-1 looks idetical to the SF26 - Metz usually makes Leica's flashes - is compatible with Olympus and Panasonic cameras in addition to Leicas and is 1/3rd of the price. At least from B&H. Seems like a good deal to me. If it does work I'll have a hard look at it as a portable flash. The one thing I haven't been able to get used to with the SF24 is that it does not tilt.

Cheers, Carl 

Although they look similar I think that you will find that the arrangement of the contacts in the hotshoe are different. The Leica SF26 has the typical Leica M and Leica X hotshoe contacts. The Metz 26AF-1 has the contacts for Panasonic and Olympus cameras which are also found on the Pana Leicas like the D-Lux 109.

Yes, a professionally shortened Nikon SC-28.

Aha!  So, you can use Nikon (or Nikon compatible) flashes with your Leica.  Interesting.

What about us Canon folk?  Would you happen to know if there are any adapters, etc. available?  I suppose I could/should start checking with some retailers.

Aha!  So, you can use Nikon (or Nikon compatible) flashes with your Leica.  Interesting.

What about us Canon folk?  Would you happen to know if there are any adapters, etc. available?  I suppose I could/should start checking with some retailers.

Canon 580EX2 (580EXII) works ok in "A" mode (thyristor controlled, and setup by enabling a custom function) or manual 

it will NOT work in ETTL mode, for a few reasons, mainly because the Canon ETTL pins don't match the Leica hotshoe

the centre pin works just fine though - which is all you need for manual and A modes.

550EX and 580EX don't have A mode - so only work in manual mode.

not sure on the other canon models.

Not in TTL. Just because the pins are in the same spot doesn't mean the protocols are the same. Auto or manual only. The CABLE will allow use of LEICA flashes in TTL.

Gordon