Half-frame M4-P!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEICA-M4-P-HALF-FRAME-OR-72-18X24-VERY-RARER-CANADIAN-PROTOTYPE-1281-/261841645874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf6fa7132

Well this is new to me. I didn't know Leica tinkered with the concept of half-frame, let alone the execution of such a camera  :wacko:.

Needless to say I won't be forking out over $18000 for it  :o .

Edited by MarkP

Leica did make half-frame rangefinders, but not very many at all. Steve Gandy has an interesting view on these on this page.

The eBay seller of that item has enough allegedly rare Leicas, including another couple of half-frame or Post cameras to earn skepticism.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Leica did make half-frame rangefinders, but not very many at all. Steve Gandy has an interesting view on these on this page.

The eBay seller of that item has enough allegedly rare Leicas, including another couple of half-frame or Post cameras to earn skepticism.

Hello,

i second this. I am skeptic too, while I know this seller for many years offering Leicas no one else has seen before.

Best 

Moritz

• Like 1

I've seen one - a half frame Leica that is, and a stereo body too! Both modified of course and certainly not claimed to be original at all (by their builder and owner). So its quite possible for them to exist and I suspect that they take quite a bit of work to build. Without an exceedingly good provenance such a camera should always be regarded as a modified one in my opinion. What a modified camera is worth is another question and should probably be dictated by the amount of work put into its production but probably isn't.

Edited by pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

- M4P was never officially made

- Items do exist, deriving from indipendent modifications made into or outside  the Canadian factory

- The seller had personal deep relations with Ontario facility and, seems, access to certain "warehouse" components/items.

- The price could be considered even not indecent in absolute terms (I remember an item auctioned at  Westlicht for 15 KUS$ around), but no one can assure its originality, because there is not an original half frame M4-P.

- Plainly speaking, I'd never buy one... and the "right" price is the price of a M4-P with some work made onto it, losing originality and gaining an oddiity  <_<

• Like 3

Pay 20 times as much, get half as big a picture.... ;)

Leica's sole production half-frame was the Leica 72, produced 1953-1960 - a factory modification based on the IIIa. About 500 built.

They also built the "Postcameras" for the German Post Office - some of which shot 24 x 27 frames instead of 24 x 36. Used to capture readings off meters that tracked telephone usage.

Leitz did a lot of fiddling with prototype ideas in their spare time. Witness the experimental "M6" (really more of an "M7", since it included autoexposure) - cobbled together with a lot of R4 bits and pieces, and during the M4-P era, so likely the same time as this half-frame experiment.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6-Special/M6-Electronic-1981/index.htm

BTW - the Leica Stereo attachment used two side-by-side "periscopes" to put two images side-by-side on one 24 x 36 frame (using a regular body). Basically the lens "saw double".

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

The seller is known to to the collector world as a maker of stuff.

She is from California and owned a camera store there.

A lot of her stuff remains shrouded in mystery.

Steer clear of here stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Yes she had a direct connection the the E. Leitz parts when they closed and my understanding she bought or was shipped tons of outdated parts????

But Leica did make some half frame m4p as microscope cameras, I remember seeing some at Ken Hansen in NYC long time ago.

But Leica did make some half frame m4p as microscope cameras, I remember seeing some at Ken Hansen in NYC long time ago.

Interesting info... I didn't know... so can be that some half frame M4P wre indeed made inside the Ontario factory, on special order... that's undoubtly possible... is someway similar to the story of the chrome M4-2s: they were never officially listed, but is generally accepted that Elcan made some on special order... and the Ontario factory didn't keep detailed register about; and this is the problem in terms of value for collectors who chase "specials"... though it can seem a bit ridicolus for normal people (even if Leica passionate), a camera with a documented "pedigree" (to say "delivered from factory <date>, to customer <name>, s/n <number>, notes <chrome... half frame...> ) HAS a value... without this, is just an "out of standard Leica" , and anyone who is disposed to pay a huge premium on this simple fact, is warmly welcome by the seller... ;) : this imho is the case of the half frame we are speaking of : none can certify it is NOT a decently made work made by some good lab 1, 2 or so years ago on a standard M4P. 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that some years ago I bought from that said seller from California, this supposed Half Frame MD camera top.

Just for fun, (I never think in my cameras in terms of collection or resale value), but hammer tone paint, HALF FRAME, 18X24, and above all, MD instead of the obvious MD-2, made me laugh, and as the asked price was low I didn´t resist.

Now, in its shelf, it sleeps in company of other Leica parts and pieces I had collected for a lot of time .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

The seller is known to to the collector world as a maker of stuff.

She is from California and owned a camera store there.

A lot of her stuff remains shrouded in mystery.

Steer clear of here stuff with a 10 foot pole.

Yes she had a direct connection the the E. Leitz parts when they closed and my understanding she bought or was shipped tons of outdated parts????

But more... much more.. than direct connection ....

I remember that some years ago I bought from that said seller from California, this supposed Half Frame MD camera top.

Just for fun, (I never think in my cameras in terms of collection or resale value), but hammer tone paint, HALF FRAME, 18X24, and above all, MD instead of the obvious MD-2, made me laugh, and as the asked price was low I didn´t resist.

Now, in its shelf, it sleeps in company of other Leica parts and pieces I had collected for a lot of time .

attachicon.gif1 -Half Frame MD.jpgattachicon.gif2 -Half Frame - MD .jpgattachicon.gif3 - Half Frame - MD.jpg

Funny item... and a further evidence that they build several "fantasy" items... with spares and some working... I suspects that those "excessive" engravings ("half frame" with out of standard fonts, "18x24" placed in an odd position, "MD" on a top with angled rewind lever...) convinced them that it wasn't the case to build a rare item onto... ;) ... and sold it as is...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1