Thanks ...... no Thanks .....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can you reinstate the 'thanks' that we used to be able to add to posts in the way it worked before ....... ??? PLEASE

very often you don't want to actually post a reply .... but do want to show you agree or support what is said ...... or for photo posts that you like the picture but don't really want to post a reply because nothing else really needs saying ......

the 'like this' doesn't seem to work properly .... and anyway on the old posts now just list the first few people and then 'XX others'

the whole point of the forum is that it is personal ..... and although I don't have direct contact with the other forum members, I do have a relationship with them on the forum and responses from familiar names is very welcome ......

• Like 7

x2

(the whole point of the forum is that it is personal ..... and although I don't have direct contact with the other forum members, I do have a relationship with them on the forum and responses from familiar names is very welcome) Thighslapper..

Edited by manoleica

the 'like this' doesn't seem to work properly .... and anyway on the old posts now just list the first few people and then 'XX others'

I can see that one can like or dislike the new format, but what does not actually work  with the new "likes"? You click the button and your name gets added to a list, even if the list is not immediately visible. The recipient of the "like" even receives a notification so that he can see likes that refer to very old posts, which is more than can be said of the old system.

The old "Thanks" was a nice way to acknowledge those who took the time to compose a post or upload an image.  The new "Like", which, like anything new, we'll grumble about at first and then come to accept and maybe even embrace.  It's a little too, for lack of a better word, Facebooky.  It is nice getting the feedback from other members sent right to you.  I was surprised by it with my first post, knowing right away instead of having to check back at a later time.  I do appreciate being able to complete a post without being timed out and having to log back in.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can see that one can like or dislike the new format, but what does not actually work  with the new "likes"? You click the button and your name gets added to a list, even if the list is not immediately visible. The recipient of the "like" even receives a notification so that he can see likes that refer to very old posts, which is more than can be said of the old system.

I think it is the way the old "thanks" function displayed all users who "thanked" a post, making it easy for anybody at a glance to see who liked what.

This was a nice little feature in times to see who in a discussion would support a certain point and who did not.

Think of it this way:

Instead of typing away stuck behind a digital device, hidden on the other side of the planet, we would be sitting on good old fashioned chairs around a room with a crappy coffee machine and wallpapers and curtains smelling from nicotine and sweat and would have a nice little discussion …

Now somebody speaks up an argument and you will have a few people in the round commenting on the argument and others who simply nod or make a gesture to show how they feel the same about the point being made.

These people simply show enough with their gesture about the discussion and do not need to say more.

The old "thanks" button was good - enough functionality, yet not too much functionality (like a "do not like button") to make every post into a poll.

If the "and 1 other like this" function could be changed into showing the entire list I think we have the old functionality back.

Btw - I don't like what happened changing forum software in general - lost followed threads, changed user names (I am NOT "menos - M6" but "menos | M6"), the new design (somehow all my most liked forums still run the older forum software, which is familiar wonderfully functional and easy to use).

It will likely take me a long time starting to like this new stuff.

• Like 4

... way the old "thanks" function displayed all users who "thanked" a post (...) I am NOT "menos - M6" but "menos | M6"

That's what I called the "new format", and I can see why some members don't like it.

Sorry about the name, but the new software does not accept the vertical bar in a name. You can change your forum name in your profile, and - I believe - a great number of special character is supported. I know of one member who changed the former vertical bar into an explanation point.

I am not trying to persuade anyone that the new "liking" is better than the old "thanking". However, seeing what is being said about the perceived difference, I would like to point out (again) that the only difference lies in the way the "appreciation points" are shown in a post.

The former system (which is preferred by the TO and nn others) had a red button to the bottom right of a post to add thanks, a small link on the left hand side of the post to remove thanks given before and - this seems to be the most important point  - showed a list of member names and the dates when each thank was given. In order to know how many there were, you had to count them, as the number of thanks that would fit on a line was wildly variable.

The new system has a grey button to add a token of appreciation. The button is in roughly the same place as the former red one. Once "thanked" or "liked", the new system now shows a grey button in the same place which lets you withdraw your "thank" or appreciation. When  very few members have thanked a post, their forum names are shown underneath the thread, but not the dates when the thanks were given. When more marks are set, the system shows the number of additional marks given and it takes one click of the mouse to see a list of all marks of appreciation given, along with the dates.

The whole difference lies in one click of the mouse.

I respect, of course, that for some members this might be a huge difference in the usability of the system, but it's really just the wording of that line and one click of the mouse.

I'm off for the moment; must have a look at what members said when the thanking function was introduced in the forum, not so long ago. :D

• Like 9

Well Pop ....... I've clicked the 'like this' ....... but I actually don't like this ........  :unsure:

....... and I would have said 'thanks' ..... and meant it for you being patient and explaining things...... if thats what the button said ....

see what I mean ????  :(

ok for photos ..... but not really ok for discussions ....... maybe we need both ? 

• Like 2

Well Pop ....... I've clicked the 'like this' ....... but I actually don't like this ........  :unsure:

....... and I would have said 'thanks' ..... and meant it for you being patient and explaining things...... if thats what the button said ....

see what I mean ????  :(

ok for photos ..... but not really ok for discussions ....... maybe we need both ? 

The semantics of that button were hotly debated when it first was introduced. In due time, people became accustomed to it and used the "thanks" button  when they just meant to say "yes" to a post in a very generic way. I automatically assumed that "like" furnished the same meaning that formerly was supplied by "thanks". It seems I was wrong in that respect, and this appears to be one of the changes that takes time to get used to. Stranger things have happened in a forum.

I also likeed the old famous "thanks-radio button" .

It was old fashioned, yes, but also had something personal. The Leica Forum is a small forum compared to other platforms and so it can also have some unique features.

I am not against this new design but I would like to see all the names at one glance. Now one has to click to see them all and perhaps one will forget to thank then those early clicks. Perhaps this can be changed and please, bigger than these small letters neede to be seen through a magnifying glass. People spend some time looking at the picture and this is neglected by the small humble funtion then.

I hope, if many people share this opinion it can changed.

• Like 5

I was one of the members who were not happy about the "thanks" button when it was first introduced. Hitting this button without posting a response meant that the thread could get buried fast, without giving people's posts a proper chance to be seen (let's face it, people tend to check the first few posts on a given page, at any given time).  Also, the button seemed to trivialize the interaction, seemed too impersonal (for the environment of this forum), and I believed that if people wanted to share their reaction to an image then they should either take a few minutes to put their thoughts into words, giving personalized feedback, or otherwise move on.

But, that "thanks" button also had a "thumbs up" attached to it that made the button's meaning go beyond just "thanks" and allowed for multiple meanings to be expressed/inferred.

In time, I came to like the "thanks/thumbs up" button and started using it in three very different ways: 1. to give thanks for feedback on my posts without bumping up my thread too many times, 2. to give thumbs up for images that I liked but didn't have anything unique to add to the existing comments, and 3. to give thumbs up to ideas, comments, and content I found useful or agreed with in ongoing discussions. 

The old button served different purposes, and not just "thanks." It is impossible to accomplish all this with "like this" as someone already pointed out above, I may want to thank someone for their comment without actually liking the context. The "like it" button white washes these nuances that the old "thanks/thumbs up" button allowed.

I hope you can bring the old button back.

Ece

PS the ads are quite annoying. "Is he cheating on you? Give us his email...we'll find out....etc" while I'm trying to look at some photographs!  :angry:

Edited by allamande
  • Like 2

+2 - the old "Thanks" was vastly superior - instantly visible. So bring it back please, and stop trying to justify the new vs. the old! :angry:

I would even venture to suggest that had this alteration been made public prior to the change most of the so far silent majority would have voted to retain it.

Edited by spylaw4
  • Like 1