Quality of Leica circ-PL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Id be interested in the experiences of others on this. We all know Leica products are expensive and we expect (actually we are sold that it is the case) that the quality is the reason for the cost.

Ive now three (of three) Leica circ-Pl that have advanced delamination. First was an old Series VI filter that came with an Elmarit R 35mm. Lens is opically flawless, filter is an unusable curiosity. Now an E55 and more annoyingly E60 bought 5 years apart have developed the same fate in the last few months. The latter two also bought second hand but had no sign of this (im careful in purchasing). In contrast multipe B+W (most not KSM) and Hoya CPL are fine after longer ownership and I suspect greater age. Interestingly one of two Heliopan CPL I own has suffered the same fate.

All filters are expensive often on a "per glass lens element basis" multiple times that of the lenses they are supposed to protect (even clear and UV ones). I expected better enduring quality from Leica. Have others noted the same?

Interestingly one of two Heliopan CPL I own has suffered the same fate.

Leica don't make their own filters so it isn't a wild assumption to suggest that Heliopan manufacture them to be badged.

Steve

Leica don't make their own filters so it isn't a wild assumption to suggest that Heliopan manufacture them to be badged.

Steve

For this reason I actually never had bought any filters, branded by camera manufacturers, but rather always have bought filters from the best known manufacturers of … filters.

For some reason, I got stuck from the beginning with B+W filters - I never had one fail with any kind of issue.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...