car photo w/ ulterior motive

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn't know where else to post this: a simple, routine shot of the latest "entry level" Lamborghini Huracan at last year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, but it's the very difficult time I had in Lightroom 5 trying to calm down this particular pearlescent Candy Red color that concerns me.

I knew when I first laid eyes on this car that it would not be easy to try to portray it in natural tones, but the way it is reproduced and shown makes me think the sensor is having quite a difficult time capturing the real depth and shade of this red.

Do you think it's merely the highly complex color and possibly enountering the limits of what the sensor is capable of given this wavelength of light, or is it plausible that I am experiencing a problem with the sensor / Maestro combination. The 'rest' of the photo seems normal and nominal. but this red is driving me crazy, since no matter what I try nor how subtly I try to correct it, I can't seem to achieve a realistic reproduction of it.

Any thoughts, please

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Any thoughts, please.

Tricky without seeing the original unadjusted file. My guess is overexposure of the red channel - try seeing if you are hitting 256 in the red channel on the original file. It might have responded to slight underexposure better, but that said I find saturated reds tricky and they do tend to become blocky all too easily

• 2 weeks later...

The only remedy is to desaturate the red channel. Arrest-me red is always hard to deal with.

What I find interesting is how there is so little reflection from the car. I wonder if they use some kind of anti-glare polish for shows. I have a black sports car that looks hideous under a bright, clear sky due to the angular reflections. Sometimes it is black and blue.

Edited by pico