M9-Unusual horiontal group of noise.

spikemozeley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

Bought a second hand M9 that was in near new condition about a month ago.

Unfortunately I noticed a horizontal grouping of 'purple' noise. Initially I thought it might be only due to high ISO noise but have recently noticed it as low as 400.

This line renders the images useless and shows on both RAW and JPEG.

Here is one example. There are many more, but its pretty clear on this shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Edited by spikemozeley

Have you visually inspected the sensor? It might be a crack in the cover glass, or it could possibly be a shutter problem- like a shutter blade out of place?

I have had a good look at the sensor but cant see any signs of distress.

Bizaare. Looks like I might have to sent to Leica?!

Here is another example.

You can see the line coming from the right side to the middle. (with terrible arrow to make it clear)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Did you do a dark image against the lens cap ISO160 @1/60s and push it in lightroom? Do you see the line there? Is it always in the same place?

It seems to only affect one half of your sensor. Looks like banding I sometimes had on the M8. But that changed position from frame to frame...

It would be helpful to know what post processing you applied to both samples.

I see not only the purplish line but also some heavily pixellated areas in the vicinity of that line and also some purplish pixellated clouds in the lower left hand side corner of the first shot.

Have you visually inspected the sensor? It might be a crack in the cover glass, or it could possibly be a shutter problem- like a shutter blade out of place?

Looking on the bright side it could be both of those things, easily fixed by sending the camera to Leica. But more seriously it may be dirt on the sensor and then what do you do because that means it needs cleaning!

Even the slightest bit of dust or smear of grease that wouldn't show up in a normal picture is exaggerated by heavy processing so pop's question is the sensible approach just to kick things off.

Steve

It would be helpful to know what post processing you applied to both samples.

I see not only the purplish line but also some heavily pixellated areas in the vicinity of that line and also some purplish pixellated clouds in the lower left hand side corner of the first shot.

There is no post processing on either of the images. The line is showing up on the files straight out of the camera.