How do you like your summicron 75mm?

Paulus

Look on their website (or see thread on subject in BB).

That's a real shame. I've bought loads of stuff from Len over the years and was only in his shop a week or so ago. I know he is not getting any younger but I didn't see this one coming.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh no. Len is one of the last surviving gentlemen. His service is impeccable, he truly stands for his customers over and above what is necessary and expected and he has always surprised me with what he can make happen at early notice. He is a man you can truly trust. I understand, we are all getting older, but there will be a deep chasm left in London with his departure from the scene and this does sadden me. I've always bought off Len and I don't think he can ever be replaced. This is a great shame and a bleak picture for the future for independent stores which strive for the best.

Edited by thestatesman

My thinking is that several aspects of photography are involved in these threads; how we use our cameras and lenses, the technical characteristics of the camera and lens design, the calibration state of those things and of course our technique on the day.

I used the Summicron very largely for half length through to tightly framed headshots and long ago found that around f/4 gave me the amount of DoF that I think worked best for that.

I also found that its close focus capability and magnification helped for flower 'portraits for example.

I used my lens for many thousands of frames on M8, M9 and now M and it has always just worked fine as long as I did my part. 

Since I usually share portraits in these threads, here are some close ups for variety

@f/2 and minimum focus distance here (uncropped). Really more a test than anything but it works I think.

attachicon.giflily.jpg

stopped down here for the DoF I wanted

attachicon.gifIris.jp

These of course are very fine photographs, but don't they also demonstrate some issues with this Summicron 75/2.0? For the day lily taken a f2.0, the pistil and stamens are OOF; perhaps you focused on the petals? For the orchid, the focus is excellent (on my monitor), but at a closed down aperture, and would not a wide variety of less expensive lens have given the same result? Your paying a great deal for "f2.0", and as someone said, this seems not a lens for casual use? For snapshot, "street" or "decisive moment" type photography, look elsewhere? 

I am surprised regarding the comments about flare. In some conditions any lens at all can be made to flare and finger marks etc on the front element can cause problems with any lens too.  However I have never found this Summicron to be sensitive at all with bright light sources in frame or just outside. We may all have different 'definitions' of flare of course.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

These of course are very fine photographs, but don't they also demonstrate some issues with this Summicron 75/2.0? For the day lily taken a f2.0, the pistil and stamens are OOF; perhaps you focused on the petals? For the orchid, the focus is excellent (on my monitor), but at a closed down aperture, and would not a wide variety of less expensive lens have given the same result? Your paying a great deal for "f2.0", and as someone said, this seems not a lens for casual use? For snapshot, "street" or "decisive moment" type photography, look elsewhere? 

I don't think that the lens is showing any fault there in the close up at maximum aperture. Of course the amount of Dof will always be tiny there.The sharpest plane is where I intended it though. My images were just to share my experience with this lens (see the thread title ;-) 

I don't use my Leica equipment mainly for snapshot, street or decisive moment photography personally. For those styles I think that a 35mm focal length is a better choice (and I like the new Summilux 35 for that). I shoot lots of fashion and portraiture/beauty and even often with studio flash. I hardly ever use my lenses wide open either! 

Personally if I was shopping for this focal length for an M now I might look at the new Summarit 2.4 as well

Edited by hoppyman

• 2 weeks later...

i had a back focus problem @ infinity issue with my NEW 75 'cron and brought it to NJ for adjustment, all adjustments made but unfortunately they found dust specks in the rear elements so they are cleaning, disappointing since the was brand new just one week prior. The technician  discussed with me a choice i had in the adjustment, he said it i can choose to have back focus either in the shorter lengths or longer lengths and would only be noticeable when wide open on the edges - it was up to me how to have it adjusted, and he said could always be modified at anytime. i opted for spot on at infinity since it bothers me when it's not spot on at infinity.  

Any experience with this ? what does it really mean ?      

i was using the lens only a bit and thought it was very sharp and accurate so i think it all pretty minor.

• Like 1

My all time favorite lens

It's been back to Leica recently to have the distance and Aperture engravings repainted (they'd all come off). 

I find it easy to focus (easier than the 75 f1.4 at f2) It's a great size, I like the short focus throw for rapid shooting. Sharp and lovely when in focus, great bokeh ( smooth and delicious). fine for close-up, magic for portrait. 

Just great

• Like 6

That's a real shame. I've bought loads of stuff from Len over the years and was only in his shop a week or so ago. I know he is not getting any younger but I didn't see this one coming.

sad sad sad... i shall have to say goodbye and thank you whilst he is still there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to like this focal length. But I've tried for six months now and am considering selling mine.

I like (very much) the 50 Asph and therefore also like the photos from the 75 but I am having trouble liking the focal length as such. It's partly to do with the fact that the 75mm frames on my 0.72x TTL are within the 50mm frames which affects how it feels to shoot with this lens. It's not natural at all, to me. Also the 50 Asph is so good that I can easily crop out the equivalent (well almost equivalent, due to the slightly more compressed perspective) of the 75. If necessary I'll scan at full resolution to maintain max image detail if I crop. It might just be that this lens is not for me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a big adjustment to make! Still waiting on new Monochrom and M6, in the meantime bought this lens secondhand, and it cost the same as both the other two pictured lenses purchased new.  The Fujinon 52mm f1.2 performs well on the X-T1, and is effectively equivalent to the Canon 85mm f1.2 (PLEASE, no lectures on equivalence!!!  ;>)

Can't wait to take some shots and be reassured that I haven't wasted my money :>) The vendor kindly let me try the lens out on his M9, and first impressions were very positive.

19405649916_ecb8232a15_z.jpg

• 2 months later...

I love it! After purchasing my Safari set with the 35mm summicron I was considering the 75 cron and the 90 cron. Settled for the 75 since I was more used to that length. It is a fantastic lens and pairs very well with the 35 cron. Very good for landscapes, and any type of portrait work, human or object. I like how versatile it is. Out of focus is cream-like, very nice resolution when focused properly (with some practice),  and it can be made to flare in a very pleasant way (for me anyway).

As many point out, it can be very sharp, some say clinical.  But I was pleasantly surprised that  it can also be used for more dreamy work. Here is an example of what I would call dreamy flaring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

sad sad sad... i shall have to say goodbye and thank you whilst he is still there.

He is spending some time at Richard Caplan's shop, in Mayfair, if I remember right,  (And for those in doubt, the 75mm APO-Summicron is one of Leica's "as good as it gets" lenses: clinical, if you insist, but you can add your own Instagram effect afterwards, if you want.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am sorry to say, that I tried three different 75cron already, but still no match for me. the real problem is focussing on infinite and somewhat closer. All three lenses did not seem sharp. In comparisson with my 90 apo and my 50 lux apsh it was just really bad.

Close it was allright, but should one buy only " half a lens " ?

Still not quite convinced  that the difference between the 90apo and the 75apo is worth the extra money.

I have made some comparisson photo's but even enlarged I don't know:

https://pauljoostenfotograaf.smugmug.com/Family/Ilja-APO-test/n-NjfcRp/

Is there a way to have the 75apo adjusted sharp on infinity and not loosing the close performance?