Leica tabletop tripod and ball head problems

samuel_d

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, all.

I have a Leica tabletop tripod (# 14100) and ball head (# 14110) that have worked very well since I bought them second-hand a few years ago.

Problem 1:

However, yesterday when I unscrewed the head from the legs, the platform on top of the legs started unscrewing before the head unscrewed. I kept turning and eventually the head did come off. But I now have a gap between the legs and the platform (see arrow):

NjvR8I.jpg

This gap goes away when I screw in the head again. But how can I get the platform to stay put? There are no obvious grub screws or even a way to get enough purchase on the platform to screw it tighter than I normally screw the ball head. I cannot even unscrew it fully to apply thread-lock, the friction being too great for the available purchase. Are there holes for a pin spanner underneath the faux-leather platform cover?

Problem 2:

Separately, the screw on the ball head has always had about one-eighth of a turn of slack before it does anything (e.g. when loosening the head, the screw turns a little – seemingly in air before engaging a cam or whatever it engages – before actually loosening the head). It works perfectly but feels a bit sloppy. Is this normal? If not, how can I service it?

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. I think the former fault happened to me long ago. I merely glued it back into place. The second example occurs, I think, when the tripod has not been used for some time. Ease a drop of fine oil into the socket head and work the unit until it operates freely.Mop up any surplus oil and make sure it is well drained before packing into a bag. (When I wrote 'a drop' of oil - I mean the smallest amount you can control, even if you place it in a piece of foil first and brush it in using an old artist's brush) I find the locking mechanism the best I have used.

Thanks for your reply (and welcome!). I think I could squeeze a drop or two of glue (superglue?) into that gap.

As for oiling the socket head, do you mean I should put the tiny amount of oil directly onto the visible parts of ball and work it in?

I wonder if I could lubricate it better by dismantling the head completely, cleaning it, and then lubricating the appropriate part (a collar, perhaps?). Perhaps the nut opposite the tension knob/screw would be the key to taking it apart. The question is whether I’m brave enough to open it – especially since it still works fine as it is.

I don't think there is any need to dismantle the head. I suggest you loosen the head with the slot facing you. Then a tiny drop of 3in1 oil or similar is placed at the lowest part of the ball; Then rotate and work the work around to free the stiffness. Mine requires a turn of about 110 degrees to lock; but it needs little pressure to lock it. If the lock axle is tight, try the same process at the knob entry point. Unless it has been damaged in the past, I would guess it is just lack of use. It is such a simple locking mechanism, but highly effective.

If you screw the head back on the tripod you should be able to get enough grip on it to screw the platform back down. Put a drop of thread lock or superglue into the gap and quickly screw it down, wait for the appropriate time period before unscrewing the head.

I don't really understand the second issue (and I have a dozen of those tripods and about 3 dozen Leitz ballheads of various design...don't ask :p ) . Myself I would never put any oil on the ball though, because eventually it will pick up grit and that could create a kind of abrasive paste that could wear the components. The brilliant feature of these Leitz heads (excepting the very last small one with black anodized body) is the slotted balls which allow dirt to escape. I find them (again, with the noted exception) grip with amazing strength for such small diameter balls.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the second issue (and I have a dozen of those tripods and about 3 dozen Leitz ballheads of various design...don't ask :p )

Everything works fine. However, imagine the head locked down and in use. When I unscrew the tension knob (not strictly a knob, but you know what I mean), nothing happens for the first one-eighth of a turn. The knob moves lightly. Then, after this bit of movement, the resistance increases and the knob starts to loosen the ball.

When I tighten the head the same thing happens.

I may have a look inside to check everything is clean and intact. If you have any tips on dismantling the head, please share them.

I find them (again, with the noted exception) grip with amazing strength for such small diameter balls.

I agree. The weight capacity and stability of both the legs and head are downright amazing. Nothing comparable that I have tried has come close to matching this pocket tripod. The design is simply brilliant.

Thanks very much for your answers, both of you. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everything works fine. However, imagine the head locked down and in use. When I unscrew the tension knob (not strictly a knob, but you know what I mean), nothing happens for the first one-eighth of a turn. The knob moves lightly. Then, after this bit of movement, the resistance increases and the knob starts to loosen the ball.

When I tighten the head the same thing happens

I have most of mine packed away but I just checked the 2 I use frequently (a fairly new tall one with plastic locking lever, and an older medium one with metal lever) and they both do exactly as you describe, so I'm fairly confident it's normal.

I have one with all metal locking lever, and it does similar things.

When I tighten it the head locks down perfectly. However, if I turn the lever counter-clockwise just a tad, the lever will come loose. At this point the lever can actually rotate back and forth totally free for several degrees and the head is still tightly locked. If I turn it counter-clockwise more than several degrees I would feel resistance, turn it a bit more and the head comes loose.

It is like this for as long as I can remember and I am used to it. :)

When I tighten it the head locks down perfectly. However, if I turn the lever counter-clockwise just a tad, the lever will come loose. At this point the lever can actually rotate back and forth totally free for several degrees and the head is still tightly locked. If I turn it counter-clockwise more than several degrees I would feel resistance, turn it a bit more and the head comes loose.

This is exactly what mine does too (good explanation!).

I just finished checking my box of Leitz ballheads and that's how all of my KGOON and later models work. It is normal, don't mess with it or dissasemble it or lubricate it.

Yeah, I think I’ll leave it alone.

Thanks for your comments, all.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have an exact opposite problem to #1 on original post here. My parts are new, and when I screw them together, the head tends to unscrew very easy.  if i grip the head and move the whole thing with the camera attached, the legs just swing around.  i am experimenting with the locking washers, etc.  I came to this forum to find if anybody had the same problem.  I am very surprised that somebody has the exact opposite experience!  My thoughts were that there is not enough friction between the smooth head bottom and the washer on the legs.  now I am confused even more.  I posted originally to the old thread, and was redirected here, thanks Jeff.

Alexander

... ... ... My parts are new, and when I screw them together, the head tends to unscrew very easy.  if i grip the head and move the whole thing with the camera attached, the legs just swing around. ... ... ...

I have the same issue with the new table top tripod and ball head I just received from B&H. Any luck finding a solution?

AlexanderD,

I finally got the head firmly attached to my tripod. I tried washing the leatherette on top of the tripod and the chrome on the bottom of the head with warm water and soap to remove any slippery residue. It didn't seem to help. Finally out of desperation I tried tightening the head onto the screw really hard. I was reluctant to try this before because it's not a very big screw but I gave it a go - and that was the answer. Locking the ball in the head requires just a gentle turn. Locking the head onto the tripod requires a very strong turn.

• Like 1

My Leica head works the same way. I think it is a good design intended to keep the camera from flopping down when first loosened. I think the push-aside 3/8" mounting screw is a great feature.

I have a couple of  compact tablepod heads and they are just terrible. One knock and it flops down which could damage the camera.

when I unscrewed the head from the legs, the platform on top of the legs started unscrewing before the head unscrewed. I kept turning and eventually the head did come off. But I now have a gap between the legs and the platform

Epoxy!

Edited by pico

• 1 month later...

I took the bottom legs off mine and had a look from the bottom upwards (Leica proctology). It seems to me as if the bit that has come adrift on the OP's tripod is just an interference fit in the outer sleeve. My thought would be to use a drift from the bottom to knock it out completely and then refit using Loctite 683 Bearing fit fluid (go to your local auto service centre and if you talk to them nicely, they will probably let you have the couple of drops you need for free). Then just tap the centre back into the sleeve with a soft hammer using a 1/2" drive socket as a hollow centre drift.

We had a problem on our Lola 292-DFV racing car, with the rear upright wheel bearings shaking loose, which then caused the rear stub axle to snap. Loctite 683 was the cure. 

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Doug,

Thanks.  I ended up attaching a think piece of rough self-adhesive material to the smooth surface before I saw your post.  Small improvement. I am not entirely happy, so I will try to twist harder which I was afraid to do as you did.

Alexander