D2 External Flash

I did try using external flash for an early project using an extension cord. Generally I liked to use available light, sometimes with a tripod. Or built-in flash with bounce mode, a wonderful aid I found with child portraits indoors mixed with ambient light.

Like David I rarely use flash with my D2's because it makes such a wonderful job with natural light and I tend to use other cameras in low light conditions.

I have a SF 24D and, while it's a reasonable flash, it has no means for up and down or side to side adjustment (unless it's used off-camera on a flash cord) so bounce flash is beyond it's capabilities and there are undoubtedly better flash options available.

Pete.

David, Pete;

Thank you for your responses. I lean toward as much natural light as possible but as you know there are times when there is simply not enough of it. The dedicated built in flash has helped and I am no flash expert.

The D2 is my only camera of any type at this time and I have had reasonable success with it in most shooting situations. Since the Iso goes only to 400 where the quality comes down a bit, low light situations are a challenge.

Paul

Thanks David; Great portrait and lovely work on your site.

Unlike you, I am not a photographer. My hope is that through the exclusive use of the D2 (it is the only camera I own now) and its limitations, I can improve my own limited skill set over the next year or so.

Kids, sports, nature, low light and all the rest. I think a year will give me ample time to learn the D2 and become a better user of the tool.

Understanding how to use flash properly is something I will need to spend some time with and practice.

Thanks again.

Paul

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have also recently acquired the Panasonic version DMW LC69 close up lens. The Elpro was beyond my financial capability. A circular polarizer and two additional batteries so I should be set to go for this year long project. I will pass on an external flash for now and learn how to properly use the bounce flash on the D2.

Paul

• Like 1