So far no issues with the M-A!

There really is something to be said for not relying on an in-camera meter in many situations. I have been playing around with a "new" second hand M7 and, while I think it is great and has a VERY accurate meter and will serve me well (esp with the HSS!), the meter is prone to changing its reading at every slight turn of an angle of the camera. A slight point upward can, on a reasonably bright day, cause a 1-2 stop increase in shutter speed; and likewise for a slight tilt downward. I will get a different reading when pointing at a person with a black jacket vs a person with the same skin tone with a green jacket. This is not the meter's fault at all, but in this example the jacket is not the main subject of the photo, so the exposure shouldn't be dictated by the jacket. Sure, one can certainly override the in-camera meter on the fly. But I personally would prefer to do without it (and rely on a handheld to confirm the overall exposure) in those situations in which it is possible (which by no means is all situations).

• Like 2

I have noted that after practically constant use over the past 5 months I am seeing some silvery wear(?) along both sides from the strap attachments, at the corners of the step up above the eyepiece where I rewind, and at the tip of the film advance lever.

The more I use it the less interested I seem to be in any of my other 35mm cameras. Truly another Leica classic M to join all the preceeding classic Ms.

• Like 4

There really is something to be said for not relying on an in-camera meter in many situations. I have been playing around with a "new" second hand M7 and, while I think it is great and has a VERY accurate meter and will serve me well (esp with the HSS!), the meter is prone to changing its reading at every slight turn of an angle of the camera. A slight point upward can, on a reasonably bright day, cause a 1-2 stop increase in shutter speed; and likewise for a slight tilt downward. I will get a different reading when pointing at a person with a black jacket vs a person with the same skin tone with a green jacket. This is not the meter's fault at all, but in this example the jacket is not the main subject of the photo, so the exposure shouldn't be dictated by the jacket. Sure, one can certainly override the in-camera meter on the fly. But I personally would prefer to do without it (and rely on a handheld to confirm the overall exposure) in those situations in which it is possible (which by no means is all situations).

This was a significant driver for me.  My film interest is purely B&W (though I do tend to have slide film in my SWC, though for different reasons), so I tend to be looking for contrast.  I have always disliked the way centre weighted, reflective meters expose everything to neutral, 18% grey.  So, I'm trying to use an incident meter more - this tends to slow things down and not necessarily in a good way ...

Hopefully my workflow will improve, and I will find time to develop and scan the small mountain of exposed negatives I'm building up.  I really need to focus ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

I have noted that after practically constant use over the past 5 months I am seeing some silvery wear(?) along both sides from the strap attachments, at the corners of the step up above the eyepiece where I rewind, and at the tip of the film advance lever.

I never liked that they removed the plastic standoffs that prevented this type of wear as on the M6 etc..

With this strap wear and the black paint, e.g. on the MP the easily rubs off, perhaps Leica are trying to drive down the cosmetic grades of used cameras from M- to Exc+ thus encouraging more new sales.

Edited by FrozenInTime

With this strap wear and the black paint, e.g. on the MP the easily rubs off, perhaps Leica are trying to drive down the cosmetic grades of used cameras from M- to Exc+ thus encouraging more new sales.

Perhaps not. The black lacquer of the MP is supposed to wear.  It's a USP apparently. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never liked that they removed the plastic standoffs that prevented this type of wear as on the M6 etc..

I am using the Leica strap with the plastic standoffs. I have been looking at the wear and it appears to be caused by the plastic itself. It seems a bit odd and I have been considering wrapping them with some gaffer's tape and see if that helps. I guess if my fingers create wear in high use areas then there is probably no reason why plastic wouldn't either. Since the leather cover below doesn't show wear maybe I should cut some guards out of leather to place over the lugs before I attach the strap.

Edited by ThePioneer

nothing wrong?

wait ...

and

:blink:

The first one seems like something is not right – probably something to do with the clutch mechanism (perhaps similar to the problem that sometimes occurs where a film cannot be wound on after about half a roll – the solution involving tightening/adjusting one of the washers). The second video might just show a film that hasn't been loaded properly. In fact I'm not quite sure what the second video is meant to be proving?

I'm amazed at the lengths people go to nowadays. Isn't it easier to simply get Leica to look at a problem rather than video it and put it on Youtube?

• Like 1

nothing wrong?

wait ...

and

:blink:

I do feel bad that these people seem to have received new Leica cameras with problems. Pretty sure they are still under warranty though. Why not just notify Leica and have the camera repaired so it works properly. That is how most people handle these issues...don't they?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wait until the complaints start rolling in about dust, tramlines and fingerprints in the raw file...

wait until you use the  "spot-tone" instead of photoshop...

That second video, the one with the chrome M-A, something is not right there.  If that's a brand new M-A, why are the two machined dots in the center of the rewind knob not red?  That's how it comes from the factory.  Has that camera gotten so much use that the red paint in those machined dots has already flaked out?  Or is that some other camera with a M-A top plate attached?

• 1 month later...

M-A arrived last week, and shot through my first roll of Tri-X.

So far, I can report:

• No scratches or coffee stain LCD issues
  • No lock-ups
  • No scratched or corroded sensors
  • No battery problems
  • No buffer issues
  • No metering problems

Just life the way it should be ...

Yes, the way it should be. As I reported in one of the Q threads, my M-A developed an intermittent but increasingly annoying light leak problem. :angry:  On the plus side, Leica replaced it today. :)  

• Like 1

A unique out of box defect - this is not a M-A type specific fault or in any way normal for M cameras in general.

I'm the guy in the video and it took Leica 2 months to fix the problem and according to the description it looks like they almost swapped everything inside... but nothing about what was the cause

magnus