Leica M-A question

AFAIK all models of Leicaflex had a horizontally running cloth shutter timed to 1/2000 sec with synch at 1/100, i.e. achieved using the basic Leica shutter layout but running at twice the speed. So Leica could have put a faster shutter in the M if they'd wanted to. Maybe the Leicaflex shutter was in the end not quite reliable enough - it was dropped in favour of a Copal-designed shutter in the R3 - or maybe it wasn't quiet enough for the M.

Would it be so different from the M8/9/M/240 shutters that offer speeds up to 1/8000?

Pete.

(Ha, I had to go to Leica's page to see what shutter speeds the M(240) offered. I'm so digital-ignorant...)

I can't answer that. Leica's homage to their past? Simplified parts chain? Space constraints in the body? (Recall the howels over the M(240)'s "extra" 3mm?) I'd say the M8's 1/8000 s. was made possible by the shorter curtain travel needs. Beyond that, I'm stumped.

s-a

• 8 years later...
On 4/17/2015 at 11:20 AM, semi-ambivalent said:

(Emphasis mine)

Leica doesn't care about you.

They care about their aggregate customer base; as all typical companies do. The fact that you feel the way you do about your camera proves in part that: 1) Leica is not your typical company, and 2) they're doing a damn fine job. That they offer a product that can engender such a feeling of connection is crucial to their future, moreso, I think, than the parade of special editions which are good for temporary headlines. I would be the last to deny they have made mistakes but I feel your right to make mistakes varies inversely with your price point. At $50 for lamb chops the kitchen is not entitled to an off-day. Period.

s-a

all I know is Leica Miami cares about me. They fight the good fight to get warranty repairs done quickly and give me a loaner to boot, all at no cost. 

On 16.04.2015 at 12:39, IkarusJohn said:

Кто сказал, что это революционно? Это обновленная М3. 

This is a story of degradation and cheapening, not a story of progress....
The plastic eyecup does not fit tightly to the body, the dust in the viewfinder is terrible. IMHO