Leica M-A question

just curious. If you took the battery out of an MP, what would be the difference from the M-A?

None really, nothing of merit or profound importance. The only difference is if you own an M-A it is undoubtedly the best camera in the world, if you don't and instead have an MP you just shrug your shoulders and wonder why the Johnny-come-lately brigade are making such a fuss. But if you want the excitement of using a camera without a meter you can buy an M4-P and save a few thousand dollars (only in Leicaland is the difference between spending and saving on such a scale).;)

Steve

• Like 3

I've heard that the frame lines are 'better' on the M-A due to not having any metering led's cutting into the frame, but I've not looked at one myself.

You also don't have to worry about losing that little battery cap on the front of the body which people seem to have a habit of losing.

It was a rather odd move by Leica to introduce a meterless camera, but I suspect they did so to create some more buzz/marketing with little expense, and it seems to have worked.

If I was buying a new Leica though, I'd probably choose the M-A.

The M-A seems to have a considerably improved viewfinder, much like the M(240) without the electronic framelines, though.

The M-A has the exact same viewfinder as the MP. The M-A is an MP without the light meter and battery compartment. This has even been officially stated by Leica themselves. And I honestly can't see a "considerably" improvement at all on my M240 viewfinder compared to my MP, other than the fact that I prefer 0.72 to 0.68 and notice a difference there, in the MP's advantage.

I guess the word "considerable" has different subjective meanings. For me that would indicate a major improvement and an obvious upgrade at first sight, noticeble immediately.

The LED illuminated frame lines and meter/fonts on the M240 is different, and in some situations preferable, but I would never call it an considerable improvement. Especially when I have to turn the camera ON to even see the frame lines, and flick between them (on the M240P). And in some situations (especially very dark situations) I prefer the frame lines of the MP, since the frame lines of the M240 seems to be too bright which makes it difficult to actually see the scene, as the frame lines are simply too well lit compared to the very dark scene.

Edited by indergaard

I'd be very interested to hear the source of this information.

If I could take pictures of the viewfinders of my cameras - then I could illustrate the differences. Leica upgraded the rangefinder on the M(240). I asked if it was possible to have my Monochrom upgraded and was told the new rangefinder wouldn't fit. On the M-A, the rangefinder seems to be brighter and somehow bigger than I recall from my MP (long sold). Certainly, the framelines are different to what I recall - they seem less cluttered, with the 75 & 135 franelines just being corners and all the others being lines.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Leica not only improved the rangefinder in the M240 (per Stefan Daniel), but the frame lines were optimized for 2m rather than 1m as on the M9. The M8.2 lines were also optimized for 2m, unlike the stock M8 lines at .7m.

I don't have the specs for the MP or M-A, but the way the frame lines are set is relevant for determining what shows in the VF (relative to the frame lines), depending of course on lens focal length (not always the same as advertised, e.g., 50 may not really be exactly 50) as well as distance to subject. VF magnification, as mentioned, is another variable.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I'd be very interested to hear the source of this information.

If I could take pictures of the viewfinders of my cameras - then I could illustrate the differences. Leica upgraded the rangefinder on the M(240). I asked if it was possible to have my Monochrom upgraded and was told the new rangefinder wouldn't fit. On the M-A, the rangefinder seems to be brighter and somehow bigger than I recall from my MP (long sold). Certainly, the framelines are different to what I recall - they seem less cluttered, with the 75 & 135 franelines just being corners and all the others being lines.

Cheers

John

The source is Leica. Send an email to Leica CS and ask yourself.

It has also been written in several different threads, both on this forum and others, by individuals that have done comparisons. Interviews from Leica has told the same story: The M-A is purely based on the MP body, and nothing has been changed, minus the finishing differences and the removal of the meter and battery compartment. The only viewfinder difference is the fact that there is no metering information, and thus, you get full framelines where the framelines on the MP are cut to leave space for the meter display.

If I put my MP (late build, serial number 46xxxxx) beside my M240 the only noticeable difference is the LED illuminated framelines, the smaller and clearer display font for the metering and choosen auto-iso setting, and the slightly different magnification ratios. Otherwise they are just as bright and clear, with no difference in acuity, brightness, etc. at all.

[PLU0819=indergaard;2915441]The source is Leica. Send an email to Leica CS and ask yourself.

I'm not that interested!

[PLU0819=indergaard;2915441]It has also been written in several different threads, both on this forum and others, by individuals that have done comparisons. Interviews from Leica has told the same story: The M-A is purely based on the MP body, and nothing has been changed, minus the finishing differences and the removal of the meter and battery compartment. The only viewfinder difference is the fact that there is no metering information, and thus, you get full framelines where the framelines on the MP are cut to leave space for the meter display.

That probably explains why they look better to me.

I'm not quite sure why it's important to you that the M-A is an MP without a meter, battery or exposure info in the viewfinder. Does this make the M-A better or worse? I rather liked my MP, but for some reason the M-A was more appealing as an M9 replacement. Is that okay?

[PLU0819=indergaard;2915441]If I put my MP (late build, serial number 46xxxxx) beside my M240 the only noticeable difference is the LED illuminated framelines, the smaller and clearer display font for the metering and choosen auto-iso setting, and the slightly different magnification ratios. Otherwise they are just as bright and clear, with no difference in acuity, brightness, etc. at all.

Ah, now when you make that statement, your earlier comments lose some credibility. Leica has confirmed on a number of times that the rangefinder in the M(240) has been upgraded from the M9.

Comparing the Monochrom with the M60, both with 50 lenses mounted, does it make a big different? Actually, not so much you'd notice, but there does seem to be more of a difference than just the electronic framelines. I'd be intrigued to know what they've actually done. But not actually that intrigued to check. What would be the point? I have an M-A and I'm happy with it. I don't really care that much to prove you wrong, or be proven wrong. I it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the enjoyment of my cameras.

Perhaps you could email CS to check ...

Edit - quotes don't work. Sorry about that.

I'm not quite sure why it's important to you that the M-A is an MP without a meter, battery or exposure info in the viewfinder.

Oh my, defensive again. You've got it backwards…maintaining distinctions is apparently important to you; similarities aren't that important to others, just simple statements of fact. Who cares that your M-A isn't mostly an MP, or that your M60 isn't really a repackaged M240? You do. Loud and clear. Yes, John, you have unique cameras…and so pretty all lined up.

Jeff

I suspect 'we' are all getting a little picky at present. Relax, it's a holiday (at least where I am) so take your beautiful cameras out in this wonderful weather and use them to advantage.

Me, I'm just going to play tennis, because it's my birthday, but I'd play anyway. ;)

now, everyone relax and enjoy!

• Like 4

I have both cameras (MP and M-A) so have no dog in the fight, as they say. I don't think there is anything different about the mechanics/optics of each rangefinder but the framelines are different (not just the absence of the cut-away 28 and 35 bottom lines but the 75 and 135 framelines are made up of just little corner ticks) and the shutter release seems marginally more responsive, having a small amount less far to travel. The latter might be my imagination, however. What I do know is that the M-A isn't simply an M-P without batteries any more than the MP Classic (which I once owned and stupidly sold when smitten by the Monochrom) is just an MP without batteries. Given a straight choice (and I have that choice) I prefer the unmetered camera every time and I doubt it has anything to do with any new camera syndrome.:)

• Like 8

Oh my, defensive again. You've got it backwards…maintaining distinctions is apparently important to you;

Not sure why you feel the need to stalk John, Jeff. It's getting a little tiring and is the kind of behaviour that is dragging the forum into the gutter.

• Like 5