M-P 240 + EVF + frozen = Not Impressed

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the other night I thought I'd try the EVF on my M-P 240. Problem was, it caused the camera to lock up. To avoid the usual finger-wagging, let me explain what I did:

- Lens is a 50mm Summilux Asph, fully coded, no issues with the coding marks (I was shooting low light street and thought I'd try the EVF with focus peaking...)

- I mounted the EVF will the power was OFF.

- switched it on after powering the camera up, seemed to work great

- took two pictures, and hung up completely. You know, the one with the steady red LED, that only resolves when you pop out the battery...the thing that some people have all the time but I've been lucky...so far.

Not impressed.

My firmware isn't the latest version, the the almost latest version (I don't have Summarit 2.4 lenses and was told this was the only change). So, what am I doing wrong? I'm sure people may reply with the usual "it's a computer, sometimes they get stuck" responses; it just seems a little off that in lots of shooting, the EVF is the only time it's done this.

To the OP: was this a one time occurrence or does the camera hang every time you use the EVF? I do believe Jaap is right about SD cards sometimes causing this. I had such a lockup once or twice with earlier versions of the firmware than yours. With new firmware and new cards I have experience no problems at all like this.

If it is not resolved with a different SD card and happens each time you use the EVF, then I fear that either the camera or EVF is in need of repair.

I doubt you're really doing anything wrong it just seems to happen sometimes. Mine for example seems to lock up sometimes if I happen to take the EVF off while LV is still switched on and only a battery in and out will solve it. Who knows why!!

Anyway as others say if it is a regular occurrence and repeatable then I would contact leica about it

Edited by viramati

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt you're really doing anything wrong it just seems to happen sometimes. Mine for example seems to lock up sometimes if I happen to take the EVF off while LV is still switched on and only a battery in and out will solve it. Who knows why!!

Anyway as others say if it is a regular occurrence and repeatable then I would contact leica about it

David, are you saying that it happens to you when the camera is switched off, but when LV was selected at the time of power down? If so, was the EVF switched off so that the LV image was on the rear screen?

David, are you saying that it happens to you when the camera is switched off, but when LV was selected at the time of power down? If so, was the EVF switched off so that the LV image was on the rear screen?

No it happens if I remove the EVF when LV is selected and the camera is on. Doesn't always do this but has occasionally happened.

No it happens if I remove the EVF when LV is selected and the camera is on. Doesn't always do this but has occasionally happened.

I wonder if that is what it objects to? I've always switched off before adding or removing the EVF.

It's an unsolved problem. The only thing you are doing wrong is not searching the forum before starting a new thread...

Thanks...I think. There's so many different posts about freezing and hang ups between M9 and M240 that I don't have time to scroll through them all to see if my particular circumstance has been addressed through the huge archives present here.

I'll switch SD cards, though it seems a shame since I have two top of the line SanDisk high speed/capacity which I like for the fast startup time. I'm just surprised that given the number of people who use the EVF, that the pressure/outcry isn't bigger. I'll try it some more....and make sure I don't post anything in the future until I've done a peer-reviewed experiment to base my findings and questions on.

• Like 2

I'm not sure there is any benefit in using ultra high capacity cards in the M240. I said Panasonic Gold because they do a data check at writing, but it does slow things down considerably, especially startup. In my hands the M240 works without lockups and smoothly using Lexar Pro 16 GB (1.5 sec startup time), other users have varying experiences. It pays off to search the forum for user recommendations and to try out a few of the recommended cards.

I know it is weird, but it appears that this camera has an individual taste for cards... :eek: I find such sample variation incredible.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

My M240 has locked up three times now and each time it has been with the EVF and an R lens.

It's a pity thats the reason why I bought the M240 to use with my R lenses.

So in my conclusion I don't want to use it with my R lenses any more.

Last November I travelled to Japan, I loved the place so much that My dear wife and I will be making

Another trip in April 2015 however this time the M240 is staying home, so to accompany my Leica R9, 21-35 and the 28-90mm lenses

I will be taking another Digital Camera, now my dilemma is which one the Fuji X-T1 or the Canon 70D.

Also Not Impressed.....

Ken.

Edited by hamey

Touch wood, never had a lockup in the months I've had the M. I use Sandisk ExtremePRO 8, 16 and 32 GB cards. I've been using the EVF on and off and haven't really given any thought to when I attach or detach it with regards to what the on/off switch is positioned at. Just yeaterday I started testig a 16GB Eye-Fi Mobi. No issues at this time, but it was just a very simple test to verify that it actually works.

Also no issues when using the Leica R adapter and my 60/2.8 or 180/4.

Cheers, Carl

Edited by cbretteville
  • Like 1

I'm not sure there is any benefit in using ultra high capacity cards in the M240. I said Panasonic Gold because they do a data check at writing, but it does slow things down considerably, especially startup. In my hands the M240 works without lockups and smoothly using Lexar Pro 16 GB (1.5 sec startup time), other users have varying experiences.

I found Lexar Pro SD card 64GB formatted with SD card formatter resolved my lock up issue. However I do not have the EVF.

David,

I think you are on to something. After the beta testing we did and the new firmware I have had no lock-ups... until last weekend. I hadn't used my EVF for so long I had a hard time finding it. When I used it I was holding the camera in an odd way for what ever reason and putting a lot of strain on the EVF.

I had the lock up. First since the update. The camera didn't blink the red light it was just unresponsive until I removed the battery.

Now, here is what is in the back of my mind. Two years ago when I had lock ups (old firmware) I sent my camera back to Leica with the complaint. What they did puzzled me. They replaced the connector to the EVF. I wonder if unplugging or a bad connection or worn connector is the cause?

Makes me want to wiggle the EVF and remove it a bunch of times to see if I can get the camera to hang. Maybe, the firmware update addressed the fact that the camera hangs when the EVF is pulled or looses connection... but the firmware fix isn't all inclusive of every instance of EVF disconnection? Maybe, the EVF doesn't even have to be connected for the electronics/firmware to be fooled?

I'm probably hunting with the wrong dog...

Rick

I don't know everything, but I have a hard time believing there is any relationship of EV problems to SD card make or type. IMHO, while people with one of the world's most expensive cameras might think they need the most expensive cards, those cards are a waste of money.

I don't know everything, but I have a hard time believing there is any relationship of EV problems to SD card make or type. IMHO, while people with one of the world's most expensive cameras might think they need the most expensive cards, those cards are a waste of money.

Well, to me it doesn't make logical sense to put crap cards in "one of the world's most expensive cameras".

A Lexar card 200x 64GB that costs a mere $80 is what fixed my problem.

Well, to me it doesn't make logical sense to put crap cards in "one of the world's most expensive cameras".

Expensive and quality are not the same thing. Good engineering is human creativity not a price tag.

Indeed, for an example one of the cheapest lens manufacturers today, Sigma, apparently is second only to Leica in performance:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7

Edited by Mornnb

"I doubt you're really doing anything wrong it just seems to happen sometimes. Mine for example seems to lock up sometimes if I happen to take the EVF off while LV is still switched on and only a battery in and out will solve it. Who knows why!!

Anyway as others say if it is a regular occurrence and repeatable then I would contact leica about it"

I bought a used VF2 branded Olympus and it works well on my M240, no problems.

Philip

It’s very simple: any cheapie $300 camera works without fuss with any SD card - be it a humble Chinese clone or a super expensive top of the line Lexmar.

Instead, Leica Ms snub at any cheap SD card and will eat only gurmet’s expensive food.

It might be argued that, by common sense, it should be the other way around. I.e. Entry level cameras needing perfect SD cards to function properly and top cameras, like the Leica Ms, coping with any SD device, due to being fitted with the ultimate sophisticated electronics.. but we realize, don’t we ?, that common sense is not a term that goes along with luxury item.

I won’t add any emoticon; feel free to choose your own.

• Like 1