Silver Efex Pro alternative (and cheaper) software

MaDeVa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess this could be very interesting for who like B&W photos like me.

I'm using a Mac upgraded to the most recent Yosemite OS, and recently I read that Silver Efex Pro 2 is not compatible with the latest MAC OS. So while I was looking for an alternative sw I found that the same guys who started Nik Sw collection have started a new sw collection for photo editing: Macphun.

The equivalent Silver Efex Pro is now called Tonality, and it is extremely cheaper. You can use it as standalone or as a plug in into ligthroom, photoshop, aperture….

You can download a trial version from here

Tonality Mac OS App & Photoshop Plug-in | Schwarzweiß-Bildumwandlung

Cheers

Massimo

Massimo, I bought a few years ago SE Pro and LR on Windows XP. XP has just been stopped (for a profitability issue as work too well and it does not sell more) :mad:

On Vista it worked just over a year , now SE told me that I must change LR ...

Since I work on my "old" LR and I modified into b&w. The pictures are very nice too and I am saving money :)

I shoot mostly color and b&w film without correction (not need)

That's my opinion on these software pictures where we constantly spend money to correct your photos.:mad:

Sorry to stop your idea

Best

Henry

Picasa also works very well and it's free

Edited by Doc Henry

I'm using a Mac upgraded to the most recent Yosemite OS, and recently I read that Silver Efex Pro 2 is not compatible with the latest MAC OS.

Interesting to hear about the new software but I haven't had any problems with Silver Efex Pro 2 and Yosemite (10.10.2), none at all.

Tonality has potentially interesting features, such as the facility for multiple layer masks. However, after trying it extensively, I found that it simply is not as good or as flexible as Silver Efex. Therefore, for me, it's not at all an alternative. Furthermore, I didn't find it useful at all — if I didn't have Silver Efex, I would prefer using Lightroom alone than rather than going into Tonality. I don't know why, but I found that I could judge a picture better in LR than in Tonality.

As for the comparison to Silver Efex, I find that the latter provides much better control, using the components of the Structure facility, particularly Fine Structure and Midtone Structure. Also, the grain simulation is better in Silver Effects, although I hardly ever use that.

BTW, it seems to me that this thread should be in the Digital Post Processing Forum.

Edited by not_a_hero

Silver Efex (SEFEX) can be a nightmare when you first start using it and search through the myriad of presets and sliders to get the combination that you want. The ideas in the video linked below provide a quick and effective method of using SEFEX. For me, an important element in using SEFEX is the setting of the Fine and Midtone Structure sliders.

The following, is a new way of processing (both M-Monochrom and B&W from the M9) that I've adopted of using Silver Efex (SEFEX) under Lightroom, based on the ideas of this short video clip:

vimeo.com/91315679

The clip shows the method this photographer uses for XT-1 files for producing a high-contrast look, but it can of course be tuned for the M-Monochrom or the M9 and for a lower contrast. For example, I use the Tri-X preset rather than the TMax 400 used in the clip. The basic idea of flattening the original file that you put into SEFEX is very good.

Generally, I use Silver Efex for any picture that I care about. SEFEX adds an element of "randomness" — maybe "contingency" is a better word for this — in the way processing and printing film does and tends to yield more interesting results.

Actually, before I bring a file into SEFEX, I try a few VSCO presents (mostly Tri-X 400-, Neopan 1600- or Neopan 400--), depending on the contrast range in the DNG file, to see the general look that I want when working with SEFEX. After the file has gone through SEFEX, I make some final adjustments, including any dodging or burning, in Lightroom.

SEP2 gives you rather more than a monochrome converter. An integral part of the software is U-Point technology which is a very fine method of masking once mastered. It allows highly selective adjustments which can transform an ordinary conversion into a fine picture.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

True enough on the U-point technology. I used to use it extensively, but once Lightroom introduced the Radial Filter I found that the latter was better for selective burning and dodging because the LR view of the file is substantially better than that of SEFEX. So, now I do all the basic editing in SEFEX, but continue in LR for any selective burning or dodging.

It shouldn't be forgotten that with Silver Efex Pro you get the entire Nik Suite of software, and so it makes a lot of sense to just get it and see which bits work for you in any of the applications. As with all software some works better in one technique than another, and some work with the user better than another. For the price Nik Suite is hard to beat. There is also the DxO software the name of which escapes me, even though it is on my PC. But it is quite good especially for the film emulation presets/starting points. Every now and again when a new version is in the offing they give away the old version for free, so keep an eye open for the rumour mill to flag it up.

Steve

..... It allows highly selective adjustments which can transform an ordinary conversion....

True, although I often feel use of the structure slider should be prohibited until the user has passed a test.

Creating and using custom presets is the way forward. I see them as a starting point, then it's back to Photoshop for refined selections and adjustments.

• Like 1

vimeo.com/91315679

The clip shows the method this photographer uses for XT-1 files for producing a high-contrast look, but it can of course be tuned for the M-Monochrom or the M9 and for a lower contrast. For example, I use the Tri-X preset rather than the TMax 400 used in the clip. The basic idea of flattening the original file that you put into SEFEX is very good.

I don't understand it. He takes out the contrast massively at the color stage, only to add it back massively a few seconds later at the black & white stage. It looks like unnecessary extra work. Why not just skip the super-flattening of the color version and choose a less contrasty black & white in SEFEX, something less than push process N+3?

I don't understand it. He takes out the contrast massively at the color stage, only to add it back massively a few seconds later at the black & white stage. It looks like unnecessary extra work. Why not just skip the super-flattening of the color version and choose a less contrasty black & white in SEFEX, something less than push process N+3?

Starting out with a flat original file, tonally and colour, helps avoid artefacts and posterisation effects later. It is similar to scanning a negative, the best result is a flat low contrast scan which is a more robust starting point for post processing. And one of the reasons an MM file is so robust in post processing is the essentially flat nature of it's raw file.

Steve

• Like 2

I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10. No problems with SilverEfex. I think it is a great piece of software, but I have started dodging and burning the SilverEfex output in Photoshop. For me, Photoshop provides better control than the u-Point technology, although I still use it on occasion.

True enough on the U-point technology. I used to use it extensively, but once Lightroom introduced the Radial Filter I found that the latter was better for selective burning and dodging because the LR view of the file is substantially better than that of SEFEX. So, now I do all the basic editing in SEFEX, but continue in LR for any selective burning or dodging.

I also use the Radial filter to good effect. But it is not a substitute for U-Point technology. Radial filter does not discriminate colour and tones; it is blind and everything is treated.

Radial filter does not discriminate colour and tones; it is blind and everything is treated.

But the adjustment brush and graduated filter each provide for numerous local adjustment parameters, including temp and tint. The adjustment brush also can be limited to a defined area much more effectively than the radial filter.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

I guess this could be very interesting for who like B&W photos like me.

I'm using a Mac upgraded to the most recent Yosemite OS, and recently I read that Silver Efex Pro 2 is not compatible with the latest MAC OS. So while I was looking for an alternative sw I found that the same guys who started Nik Sw collection have started a new sw collection for photo editing: Macphun.

The equivalent Silver Efex Pro is now called Tonality, and it is extremely cheaper. You can use it as standalone or as a plug in into ligthroom, photoshop, aperture….

You can download a trial version from here

Tonality Mac OS App & Photoshop Plug-in | Schwarzwei-Bildumwandlung

Cheers

Massimo

Massimo,

I've been using Nik Software, and now Nik Collection, with every OS since Snow Leopard, without a glitch. I'm currently with El Capitan, same thing. Maybe some prefs to double check here.

As for Macphun, I'm trying it now. On some counts, maybe richer features than Nik Collection, which is still less expensive (through Google).

Massimo,

I've been using Nik Software, and now Nik Collection, with every OS since Snow Leopard, without a glitch. I'm currently with El Capitan, same thing. Maybe some prefs to double check here.

As for Macphun, I'm trying it now. On some counts, maybe richer features than Nik Collection, which is still less expensive (through Google).

Same here. Using SEP2 with the latest version of Yosemite.