Leica D Lux 109 v Pan LX 100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone offer any sound reason not to buy an LX 100 in preference to D lux. The only differance seams to be cosmetic .

At this weeks show at the NEC the LX 100 was on sale at £499,complete with case,spare battery.16GB Lexar memory card.warrenty is 2 years.

As LX 100 the camera is available in silver or black Crome finish.

I appreshiate brand loyalty but Leica is pushing that boat out a bit far in my opinion .:eek

Show price for D Lux.was £650 case / battery / and memory card extra. 3 year warranty in Leica version. So it's a case of £499 v £800.

BrianP

Edited by Guest
Adition

When I was buying D-LUX the difference vs. LX100 was just 80 EUR so it was a no-brainer for me. My key points:

- 3y warranty

- higher resale value (check resale prices LX7 vs D-Lux 6 to have an idea)

- Made in Japan vs. Made in China (yes, they're produced in two different factories)

- overall ultraclean look & feel of Leica

If you already have Lightroom and don't require the longer warranty and cost is a serious consideration then the answer is No.

At £300 it becomes a serious consideration .

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you very much for your input. I use Aperture and On1 for post processing so that was not an issue .The reviews the camera has received are very good so other than the Red Dot and a different finish on the front of the camera which are worth a max of £50 to me its the LX100. I had virtually made up my mind last week to buy the D lux. On a non show deal so going to the NEC was well worth the cost.I bought 2 at the show ,1 for a friend and I was undecided about keeping one as a n other wanted one.

Thanks again for your input .

BrianP

C1 user here so no objective reason to buy the Leica. Also i prefer the Pana grip and ever-ready case as well as the slightly shorter size and the lack of red dot of the LX100. Both can do great pictures anyway and the Leica will probably retain its value longer.

C1 user here so no objective reason to buy the Leica. Also i prefer the Pana grip and ever-ready case as well as the slightly shorter size and the lack of red dot of the LX100. Both can do great pictures anyway and the Leica will probably retain its value longer.

I like the Pana grip which is an extra £50 on the DLux. Value retention in this case does not bother me as if or when I buy another my partner will take possession :) . I doubt that the D Lux will be woth more than £50 in 5 years if that much. I am basing that on depreshiation of my 2 x M9,s. The results from whatever version of the camera you have are very impressive so no complaints about the end results. I wish Panasonic made a version of the MM and over 30% cheaper :D

BrianP

I like the Pana grip which is an extra £50 on the DLux. Value retention in this case does not bother me as if or when I buy another my partner will take possession :) . I doubt that the D Lux will be woth more than £50 in 5 years if that much. I am basing that on depreshiation of my 2 x M9,s. The results from whatever version of the camera you have are very impressive so no complaints about the end results. I wish Panasonic made a version of the MM and over 30% cheaper :D

BrianP

well the d-lux 4 is still selling at a good price and it is what? 6-7 years old, must be that ccd-sensor:)

well the d-lux 4 is still selling at a good price and it is what? 6-7 years old, must be that ccd-sensor:)

Is it selling or are owners asking a high price ? I was offered £50 for my mint condition d lux 4 .

BrianP

2 are for sale on eBay at about $350 and are used examples. No one is bidding . It is agreat camera and I have had mine for 5 years but if someone was to buy it for $200 they can have free shipping.:D

BrianP