How do you like your photo to be?

It depends on what I have in my minds eye. I like to make a different type of image for 'street' photography than for landscape photography. My mind is wanting to express different things for each. So you would be better thinking what you like, are there any photographers who's work you are impressed with, and ask how to get close to that.

We all learn from other photographers as any artist learns from those that have gone before. If you have no idea where you are and what you want to express just choose a style to start with and make it your own later.

Steve

Please comment on this two. Negative or Positive are welcome.

If you are using Lightroom or Photoshop try pressing the 'Auto Contrast' button, because lack of contrast is the fundamental problem. It doesn't have to always be the case, photographs should be entirely down to how you saw the scene in your minds eye, but if in doubt a B&W photograph should a range of tones from pure black to pure white with a smooth spread of mid-tones in between.

Moving to something a bit more sophisticated than the 'Auto' button, Silver Efex Pro (a plugin for Lightroom and part of the Nik Suite of software available from Google) has a range of presets that you can use to use to create the final image or as a starting point for your own ideas. Alongside this you should look at the work of other photographers and copy the styles you like until you decide to move forward with your own ideas.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be late in here. For what it's worth I like to add more weight to most images by either lifting the black point or pulling the tone curve down and for colour I have s profile that moves M9 files nearer an Eggleston look

A good start is looking at processed images you like and understanding why

"How do guys you prefer or want your photo to be like?
As in more grey or dark or sharp & etc?
"

Very good question, if I understood the meaning of the question
Well, my answer is short and simple. I photograph what I see
if it is black and in shade it will be black and the shadow
no boost or modification

Same remark for color .

If not possible I take a monopod/tripod and choose a long exposure :)

Rg H.

In any case I like deep and real black , real white and nice grey scale for b&w

and faithful color for color photo.

That's why I return to film

Edited by Doc Henry

1st pic is OK for me if you wanted dark faces. 2nd pic has a couple of problems with respect. Too much vignetting unless you wanted that effect. Did you use a regular hood? Also the pic is too dark. For vignetting correction Photoshop or Photoshop Elements will solve the matter in a snap. For the rest, try Silver Efex. Can be had for free now IINW. You can choose different renderings with it very easily. Just to show what can be done in a couple of clicks by an old ex-newbie :D;)

Before:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After:

I am not sure which camera you are using but at least with the M240 what I found very useful is to take DNG + B&W jpgs.  I can then compare my B&W final image with the M jpeg rendition, which, in my opinion tend to very good (unlike the colour M jpegs which, in my opinion, are pretty bad)

Classic rule is there should be a white and black.  This is true 99% of the time.

Next there needs to be a curve applied, medium contrast as a first try.

Digital photos are dead and lifeless without post,  unless you are happy with how you can make the camera adjust a JPEG.  DNG are lifeless unless you use a program that can read the camera settings ,  Nikon NEF and NX being one example.   Otherwise only JPEG gets camera adjustment applied to image. I do not know of a program that reads Leica DNG.