New M product line at Photokina 2015

MaDeVa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And not an issue at all since Leica has assured us they will stand behind it.

And for that reason Leica would not want to needlessly increase the number of cameras with these potentially problematic sensors by manufacturing even more.

This is fascinating. I am looking hard at the MM and am a little torn - demo MMs are very cheap right now (~$5K), but with the dollar now at 1.06 and rising (rather than the 1.30 or lower of 2012, when the MM was first priced), I'm not sure that the replacement is going to MAP at $8,000 like the original. If things keep inching toward parity, the new one might not cost that much more than a current MM demo (well, "that much" in Leica terms being $1,500-2,000).

Dante

Edited by dante

And for that reason Leica would not want to needlessly increase the number of cameras with these potentially problematic sensors by manufacturing even more.

I doubt they are manufacturing more, just selling off stock.  B&H and Adorama both show backordered.  Tamarkin was backordered.  I was lucky to find one with Ken Hansen.  My guess is that its not officially discontinued, but only remaining stock are in the pipeline and that new ones haven't been made in months, or longer.

There is a point when you stop manufacturing another batch as the last one will probably last until the next model becomes available. Just speculating of course.

I doubt they are manufacturing more, just selling off stock.  B&H and Adorama both show backordered.  Tamarkin was backordered.  I was lucky to find one with Ken Hansen.  My guess is that its not officially discontinued, but only remaining stock are in the pipeline and that new ones haven't been made in months, or longer.

Taking a page from Kodak's and Fuji's playbooks when they discontinue films. They liked to announce discontinuances long after production stopped and with a few months' stock left.

Dante

The next photokina is in September 2016. I don’t think we will have to wait that long for another M to be released, though. A few months ago I wrote that a new MM will come, sooner or later. leicarumors.com did err on the soon side, now some people probably err on the late side.

A digital camera is NEVER an investment... (Well, maybe some exotic special edition, if you are very lucky...)

Buy a camera to use, not to sell.

True dat! I've enjoyed the #$# out of my M9. Five years' old, a lot of brassing and dings, but still going strong. I have no idea what the market value is, but I don't really care as I have the camera to use, not re-sell. My Leica lenses though -- I'm pretty sure I could get more than what I paid for them now (bought used), but the thought of selling my beautiful lenses gives me a lot of anxiety ;).

Some day I'll get a 240 or whatever the next model is, but if I get another year or two out of the M9, I can definitely say it was a great buy over the life of the camera.

I am trying not to lust too much after the MM though.

Edited by run23
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

No need to upgrade to a newer MM. The one we have now is the dogs.

Two bodies and 4 lenses is plenty for anyone unless you like showing off :)

They did not promise such a thing. The exact words by Mr. Daniel at the announcement of the demise of the R were: “There will be an R replacement - but it will not be made by Leica.”

• Like 2

They did not promise such a thing. The exact words by Mr. Daniel at the announcement of the demise of the R were: “There will be an R replacement - but it will not be made by Leica.”

They DID promise an R10 at the S2 introduction.  Promises are worth the electrons they're written with.  "not be made by Leica" doesn't mean much, the T lenses aren't made by Leica.

Edited by wildlightphoto

Any truth to this rumor or is it just bull?  I could not find any mention of it here on other threads.

New Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 camera has been registered at RRA of Korea and it will come soon. The Leica M Monochrom Typ 230 has been registered in May 2014, so the M Monochrom Typ 246 is another new model. This new Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 will replace the old Leica M Monochrom.

Any truth to this rumor or is it just bull?  I could not find any mention of it here on other threads.

New Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 camera has been registered at RRA of Korea and it will come soon. The Leica M Monochrom Typ 230 has been registered in May 2014, so the M Monochrom Typ 246 is another new model. This new Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 will replace the old Leica M Monochrom.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/244023-leica-m246-monochrom-registered-in-korea/