NEW: 35 cron and 50 lux available in BLACK CHROME

skinnfell

I am honored to now own the 50 black chrome Summilux! I would really prefer to use the metal hood, but also want a clear filter "just in case". As others, I have tried my B+W N43, which screws on fine to the lens, but doesn't allow the hood to attach. I even sanded down the filter as much as I could. It is now a beautiful silver color, but still doesn't allow the hood to attach :( . Is there any solution besides finding the obsure old Leitz #13206 filter? There are threads visible on the outside face of the hood, but the 43 filter doesn't "bite" to it. I'd love any counsel ... thank you!

I just got the 50 Lux.

Price. For those interested in these things - I know its not that interesting... in Hong Kong (where well-supplied Leica items are often available at a substantial discount, the reverse is also true), the 50mm Summilux is going up in price already. Some early customers managed to get theirs at list price, or a fraction below. Mine cost about 10% more, and what remains is being listed higher still. One dealer I buy from has sold 5 copies so far, and is still receiving orders. I expect interest in this lens will remain for some time... The dealers seem happy to have profitable items.

Regarding the filter issue... I tried my Carl Zeiss 43mm UVa filter - it fits fine, but like all others reported in this thread, the hood will then not attach. Design fault. Leica dealers here have suggested finding the vintage Leica 'slim' E43 filter from the old '60s Summilux days. I've asked my usual dealers about that and all have recently sold the copies they did have, for exactly this reason. (Thanks Coelacanth for the part reference). Does anyone know if there is a current filter that is slim-fit in E43? I have, for example, a super slim B&W filter in E52 that has no threads on top. I can't see an E43 equivalent listed anywhere.

500 pcs? My speculation is that Leica will issue another finish for this same lens - perhaps a silver chrome finish in the same quantity - 500 pieces. Why not? 

Impression? I think the lens is gorgeous. I'm very happy I bought it - despite it being a crazy purchase as I already have the regular black anodised aluminium version of this lens, and it is a very good copy - one of my best lenses. But I also used to have a type II Summilux, c1961, and I loved the feel of that lens. This black chrome one has very much the same Wetzlar-of-old feel to it. It will be interesting to see how it ages. I was interested to read DavidKKHansen's note in post 177, that it will gain a "gunmetal grey" patina. My MM already has this, so I suspect my black M-A will too, much like many 1980s M6s look now I suspect. Anyway... it is clear Leica have lavished the making of this lens.

I'm so smitten, I am also getting the 2/35, which will be in my hands tomorrow.

Time to sell the other kidney...

• Like 1

Regarding the filter issue... I tried my Carl Zeiss 43mm UVa filter - it fits fine, but like all others reported in this thread, the hood will then not attach. Design fault. Leica dealers here have suggested finding the vintage Leica 'slim' E43 filter from the old '60s Summilux days. I've asked my usual dealers about that and all have recently sold the copies they did have, for exactly this reason. (Thanks Coelacanth for the part reference). Does anyone know if there is a current filter that is slim-fit in E43? I have, for example, a super slim B&W filter in E52 that has no threads on top. I can't see an E43 equivalent listed anywhere.

I've lost track of the E43 filter/hood problem with this lens but are you saying that a modern Leica branded E43 filter doesn't fit inside the hood either? As bad as it is that the hood doesn't fit over B&W and Heliopan filters, it would be a very poor oversight on Leica's part if the new lens is not compatible with it's own filters.

Edited by wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread has raised the hood/filter issue for the black chrome SX in numerous posts. Having just got the lens today, I thought I'd illustrate the problem in a thread dedicated to the issue. 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/245904-hood-fitting-problem-with-50mm-sx-black-chrome-11688/

I am as pleased as punch with my new lens. The 50 Summilux asph is my all time favourite lens and it just got better!

The styling is very nice, it's heavy-ish but compact without the hood which is staying in it's pouch with the caps. Focusing is smooth and a doddle without the tab. I just popped a B+W filter on and I'm ready to roll!

• Like 1

Like David and Winedemonium said, I'm interested in (and looking forward to) seeing the black chrome lens age nicely. In the world of Leica, often black paint "brassing" is desired and black chrome wear not so much, but I am personally a big fan.

Filter: Commented on Winedemonium's new thread. I have a newer Leica branded (not Leitz) E43 filter in coming to test out. Either way I won't be using the hood regularly as I like the compact size of the lens alone and this lens is quite flare resistant already.

I think the lens looks right at home on my M4-P, but here is a pic with silver chrome body.

18421882795_b5c1b5d489_o.jpg

• Like 1

Traded my black anodised 50mm Summilux ASPH for the new black chrome version. The lens I traded was a very good copy - razor sharp, and super smooth focus out of the box, albeit with the standard rattly modern aperture ring. The black chrome version has more heavily damped focus, and it is BUILT. The way the aperture ring clicks along is like that of the old sixties Leitz lenses, not freely-spinning, and easy to inadvertently change, like some of the modern ASPH lenses.

The black chrome 50 Summilux looks right at home on my M Monochrome mk1, but on my black chrome M5, it looks even better - like it was designed for the M5.

I'd attach a photo, but since this site re-design I can't seem to attach photos any more - I just get a panel coming up, asking for a URL.

Best wishes all,

Colin

• Like 2

Just picked up my 2/35. Beautifully made. It's noticeably heavy - feels like a ball bearing! 

Note -- for fans of the Leitz 12504 lens hood, this very solid black chrome version (421-037.582-000) might look similar, but it does not screw open to allow Serie VII filters to be dropped in. 

I'm not bothered. It's a beautiful lens, and feels very well made. No optical issues that I can see from a cursory inspection.

Just received the 35mm, joining the matching 50 Lux.

The lens is gorgeous and everything smooth, feels substantial. Will post some photos of both lenses together later.

Only thing is that the hood is quite loose fitting. I've read that elsewhere so I believe it's normal for 12504 style hood and Cron ASPH, but I just want to see if others are feeling the same. I can rotate the hood easily and it rattles if I (not so violently) shake the camera/lens with the hood attached. I'm not planning to use the hood much so it's fine but I'm wondering if I need to talk to Leica.

Thoughts?

I have the same set. Not loose, per se, but hood does spin. I'm thinking it's a good thing as energy from bumps or scuffs is dissipated away from the lens. A bump may not be as jarring. Apart from the tremendous quality of the lens, I'm very impressed with the lens hood. Very firmly attaches. I think it's superb.

Edited by dot-me-not

I love the brass cap for the lens of the 35mm but I wish Leica had come up with a design for a cap that sits over the hood.  

Could have been some kind of silicon cap that slips over the entire hood but looks nice and is very secure.

I wish Leica had come up with a design for a cap that sits over the hood.  

Could have been some kind of silicon cap that slips over the entire hood but looks nice and is very secure.

Yes, I know hood caps are for cissies but the lack of a cap is another reason why I don't care for the supplied hood. I'd have preferred the #12526 plastic hood instead of the dandyish round one. As for the metal lens cap :D – it'll make a good paperweight (or doorstop).