which theft insurance are you using ?

anorphirith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm looking to get theft insurance for my gear that's accumulating. I'm seeing increasing reports of stolen gear and I'd hate to be out of my little stone jewels. As I'm planning a travel to a few countries including some in Africa.

which theft insurance are you using, if you've had a positive experience with them please share.

PLEASE no renter's insurance type ! that doesn't apply to me

Thanks !

UK / John Lewis Contents Insurance is pretty good. I had Zeiss ZM 25mm dropped, I was paid full amount minus £200 excess which was more than I paid for the lens secondhand. From moment currier picked lens up for evaluation to receiving payment it took about a week.

I have AAA renters insurance, they covered my recently stolen M-E, lens and viewfinder. Their claims process is relatively painless, submit a copy of the police report and proof of ownership of the equipment then get paid out.

Anyway to have it in US without the home or renters insurance ?

I have a separate policy for the camera equipment - commercial " photopac" insurance. Nothing to do with my home or any other insurance.

Any good commercial insurance broker will be aware of underwriters who offer these types of policies. Mine is from a US based underwriter, although I live in canada.

which theft insurance are you using, if you've had a positive experience with them please share.

1. Several very large and virtually immobile safes at home .......

2. An inconspicuous bag when I travel.

3. Home cover 'all risks' insurance whilst away ...... which is hopelessly inadequate and insuring for the full cost is invariably prohibitive.

4. Eyes in the back of your head.

5. Luck.

• 2 weeks later...