35mm Summicron ASPH worth it?

stephengv

You´re a brave man, Anders! ;)

Ha, Ha - but the test was not done in this environment..!!

/Anders

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

I used to have a lot of 35mm lenses but now I have just two Summicrons, the 8-element v.1 and the ASPH. For a long time I dithered over the last choice which was either the 35 Summilux ASPH or Summicron ASPH. I sold the Summilux and have never regretted it. The 35 Summicron is the best 35 I've used and I'll never sell my copy.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up a used chrome 35 Summicron current version. It came with a Leica chrome UV filter and two extra hoods, one is the Leitz 12585 and the other is Chinese copy of the 12504. The lens looks new and came with all the original boxes etc. Did I mention it was a really great deal. :D

Both of the round hoods stay on very well.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about purchasing a 35mm for a while and still debating between a used Summicron ASPH and a new Summarit 2.4.

I know the subject has been already debated and I've read most of the previous posts. Still, since the price is almost the same, it's a "tough" choice.

I tried the Summicron a few times and I liked it, but have no experience with the Summarit.

As far as I understand, the Summicron is faster (of course), sharper at the edges and it will probably keep its value for a longer period.

The Summarit, on the other hand, offers less flare, a smoother bokeh (subjective) and, in my opinion, the new silver version is aesthetically appealing.

I wonder if in real world pictures one would ever notice any difference, considering that landscapes are usually shot at f/5.6 - f/8 and that, in case of portraits, sharpness in the center of the picture should be the same at all apertures.

As for ergonomics I've hold the Summicron Asph and the Summarit (old version) and couldn't find any significant difference. Maybe the Summarit is a little too small and not as comfortable as the Summicron.

One think I didn't like about the Summicron (when I tried it) was its excessive contrast, but I'm not sure the new Summarit would be significantly better in this aspect.

Any suggestion from someone who tried them both?

Thanks.

Any suggestion from someone who tried them both?

I've owned both but no longer have either. There are differences of course, but if I had to choose between them I'd probably go for the Summarit although I'm hard pushed to say just why! I rather liked it and apart from the fact that I like and use fast lenses (I now use a Summilux) I would have probably retained the Summarit. That said, be aware that I prefer the v4 Summicron to the aspheric, which probably tells you something about my taste in lenses.

• 3 weeks later...

My 35 Summicron lives on my M9. It only comes off when I absolutely need to use another lens (21,50,90,135). On the other hand, my 50 Summicron lives on my Monochrom and has never come off (except once where it was exchanged for a newer version).

The 35 and the 50 are two totally different ways of seeing photographs. 35 is a natural for landscapes, groups and travel and thus lends itself to color. The 50 is more selective and lends itself to portraits and expressing a viewpoint. It is a natural for black and white.

FWITW: my 35 Summicron is a version IV which is smaller, lighter and a tad softer wide open than the ASPH version. Unlike the 50, I doubt if I'd ever exchange this 35 for an ASPH version.

• Like 1

Since the OP was asking about the summicron 35mm f2 asph, it's my most-used of the four Leica lenses I own.  The flare 'issue' isn't an issue unless you're determined to make it flare.  It's a good all-round lens, especially useful for those times when I only want to carry my MP, one lens and a couple of rolls of film.  The only real criticism I have concerns the stupid, outrageously expensive to replace rubberised plastic cap that attaches to the lenshood. 

Whoever designed it should forfeit his testicles.

• Like 3

The Summicron is a wonderful little gem of a lens. 

When you think of all those vast Canon/Nikon f2.8 zooms that people lug around, then you look at this tiny little thing and remember it's a whole stop faster and in the opinion of many, superior at every aperture, you'll remember one of the things that drew many of us to Leica in the first place.

• Like 3

The Summicron is a wonderful little gem of a lens. 

When you think of all those vast Canon/Nikon f2.8 zooms that people lug around, then you look at this tiny little thing and remember it's a whole stop faster and in the opinion of many, superior at every aperture, you'll remember one of the things that drew many of us to Leica in the first place.

While I agree, pretty much any version of the 35 Summicron is going to be tiny, especially the version 2,

if Leica made a "18-35 2.8 Tri-Elmar Asph zoom", it would weigh over 2 pounds, take a 67mm or larger filter so........apple meet orange?

I have a 35 lux asph that gets here Wednesday, I had to think long and hard about it over the Summicron Asph but the lux won out in the end as being my only 1.4 M mount lens and when I had it before I just loved it at 1.4.

Edited by KM-25

I have a 35 lux asph that gets here Wednesday, I had to think long and hard about it over the Summicron Asph but the lux won out in the end as being my only 1.4 M mount lens and when I had it before I just loved it at 1.4.

Same Reason I chose the Lux.

It is a spectacular lens. And if you're shooting a 240, you probably don't need the lux, unless you want more character. 35 seems to be my native focal length, so I've studied these, and love the lenses. The Pre-asph 35 Lux is amazing for character and "glow" (yes it has many aberrations), and the Asph. cron is small and tight and perfect. I find that the old lux is on my camera most of the time -- but that's just because of the stuff I like to shoot.

While I agree, pretty much any version of the 35 Summicron is going to be tiny, especially the version 2,

if Leica made a "18-35 2.8 Tri-Elmar Asph zoom", it would weigh over 2 pounds, take a 67mm or larger filter so........apple meet orange?

My Summilux FLE is a brilliant performer,  certainly my most used lens. I suspect you will love yours, and I wish you much success with it. It is a grand lens. But it's not perfect (I don't believe any lens ever could be) and there are times (not many, but some) when the Summicron is the better choice, either for its less tricky distortion or even just because of its tiny size.

Replaced the Lux Asph with it some time ago. Received the vintage W-Nikkor 3.5cm 1.8 LTM today and look forward to challenging the mighty ASPH with the old glass. Tempted to let the Leica go if I happen to like the Japanese (gulp!!!).....  The 35 is part of my 21 SE, 50 Lux and Nikkor PC 85mm 2.0 lineup on the M9, 21 and 50 being my primary picks (which may be reason why I haven't found peace with my 35mm piece if that makes sense).

Mark

The beauty of a 35mm lens with all the pixels of the M240, is that it is very easy to crop to a 50mm EFOV. The rectangular hood on my new 35 Summicron seems very secure. I don't know if Leica have improved it after feedback from users. That would not be like them. :p 

I have not used it enough in the few hours I have had it back to say if I like it or not. Mine was focusing wrongly from new and had to go straight back to the factory. I could not exchange for another new one as it was an ex-cabinet display from from Leica Montmartre at a very attractive price. I know I like my chrome 35 ASPH Summilux, other than the weight, which becomes quite tiring by the end of a long day, so no reason I should not like the 35 Summicron. 

Wilson