Leica M9 owners with Leica X Vario as a backup

ibramr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings.

It would be very helpful to hear from Leica M9 owners who also have Leica X Vario as a backup with regards to their experience with this dual setup. Additionally, comments with regards to observed differences in the quality of the DNG Raw files between the two cameras would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

Edited by ibramr
  • Like 1

The XV is fine ...... but if you want the facility to use your M9 lenses then the T is the way to go.

the 16mp T and XV files compare favourably with M9 files ...... with the following provisos ...

The XV has a tendency to overexpose ..... so you need to be careful .... or deliberately set exposure compensation permanently to -0.3 or -0.7 ev.......

The XV files need a fair bit of sharpening to reveal maximal detail ...... T files less so ....the M files will not tolerate much sharpening before artefacts start to ruin the image ....

XV files occasionally appear a bit 'flat' ...... as I think they probably have a bit more inherent dynamic range, but a bit of adjustment in LR will get round that. M9 files with the default processing in LR look more contrasty and saturated (which is how the CCD v CMOS debate got started ..... but it's all about the camera embedded/default LR profile not the inherent feature of the sensor).

The XV is a much more natural camera to use and complements the M9 as you use it in a very similar way .... and the dedicated lens is probably better than the T ones ..... and you can focus down to 10cm which is great.

Here are some images taken a few minutes apart ..... straight from LR..... and note this is NOT the same viewpoint ...... the first shot is about 700m to the right of the first in another gully .... the spiky rocks in the left foreground are the same ones you can see on the top right of the second image silhouetted against the sky .....and the groundcover on the slopes was different

plus not really identical as the sun conditions changed .....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

adjusted a bit for exposure and colour balance .... and sharpened a bit....

• Like 1

1:1 crops of middleground .....

• Like 1

It's fairly easy to spot which is which .... and if you can't then you have the answer to your question !! :)

XV shots were at approx 28mm (18mm on XV)....... M9 probably at 18mm with the Tri-Elmar.

At one stage I had M9, MM, M240, XV and T ..... now the M9 has gone .......

For holidays and Camera+back-up situations I take my M240 and the T plus the standard zoom ... and often tend to alternate days with each depending on whether mostly landscape/urban/interior is anticipated.

Otherwise the XV is for days out when I can't be bothered to carry much and just want a good camera in case I spot something interesting.

I'm happy with the results of all of them .... and after processing the differences are only obvious when viewed big .... or printed big.

..... but ultimately you are never going to get close to the quality and malleability of files from the M240 and good Leica lenses .....

Hope this helps.

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Thighslapper,

Thank you very much for your advice and opinion. They are really very helpful. Clearly, some time is still required to digest your comments above, including the addition of the T as an option for a backup.

Additionally, I went to Leica Store here in DC today and had a closer look at both the Vario and X2--and now I have some of the files that can assess--a second visit is planned next week. Today I also continued to have excellent output with Leica M9--and think that perhaps the M9 should be the backup for an M240 in the near future (i.e., drop the vario as a potential backup completely). Effectively, I am almost sold to the contents of your last line, namely "...but ultimately you are never going to get close to the quality and malleability of files from the M240 and good Leica lenses".

Once more, thank you very much. Regards.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got both and even though I got other DSLRs system, the M9 and XV are the ones I use the most "99.99%" However, I rarely carry both on me, I like to go light with one camera. I'm using the XV for my outdoor activities such as biking, skiing and hiking, the M9 for street and portraits. Sometimes the XV takes the M9 tasks but the M9 never takes the XV tasks.

Regarding DNG differences, there are and depending on the lighting conditions, the difference can be big. Sunset and sunrise hours, blu skies or sea, the XV need some siders sliding before its file get there where the M9's starts. They complement each other perfectly well, because no exchangeable lens system can match the versatility of the lens fixed on the XV.

• Like 2

I chosed the D Lux 109 as my M9 companion. I find It to be a perfect combo for my purposes - small and easy to carry around, and with low light capabilities that take on where the M9 don't deliver! IQ is absolutely OK for professional use in most cases. I use it for reportage and illustrations for articles, reports etc.

• Like 1

The X Vario can hardly be thought of as a 'back-up' for a full-frame camera. Handled with thought, it can augment the M9 in areas where it is stronger, viz. closer ranges and swift changes of angle of view.

• Like 1

I use an XV (and now X type 113) as a supplement to my M Monochrom. In good light the X Vario has all of the image quality I could want. In low light the X picks up where the slow lens limits the X Vario. The Monochrom, however, is just on a whole other level.

For me, the M Monochrom (and my DSLR and film gear) usually comes out for actual photography trips, while for casual travel with family I prefer something the X series with their automation and still excellent image quality.

A new and very good M9 backup is to grab an A7 used for around 800ish and have the Kolari sensor stack mod done for 400. Then for about 1200 total you have a very nice M platform, which also does many other tricks. :)

• 4 months later...

Although i do agree with much that has been said I personally very much enjoy using my XV alongside either my M9 or my Leica T.  BUT not as back up rather as superb stand alone cameras in there own right. Additionally whilst I also have the M lens adapter for my T my overall view is why bother even considering so using M lenses other very occasionally for a faster apperture given the T lenses are better matched to the T camera, can hold there own at least in my oppinion against any M lens, AND the T lenses alone give me the oft wellcomme facility for auto focus.

So my advice if you can is try both the XV and T systems before you jump, not least if you think about it because with zooms both in fact are far more versatile than any camera with a fixed 28mm wide angle lens good as the Q no doubts is. And yes I have tried a Q and yes I did love it but very rapidly found I needed something else in addition with a lens which was at least a little longer, whereas my XV or T plus its standard zoom are each capable of doing a much better job accross at least 90% of whichever subject I wish to take pictures off.

Hope this helps a little? Don Morley :)

I use both the X vario and M9 although I don't find them compliment each other as a pair. The XV is too big as a backup on trips, you might as well just carry the M9 everywhere since they are similar sizes. As others have pointed out above its a much better idea to have T as a backup since it takes the same lenses, is a smaller size and will give a similar look to the M. The XVario is a unique camera and I venture to say someday it will be looked on similar to the D igilux 2 is today. As far as IQ I don't find the files of XV and M9 to be similar at all. Instead it fits in very much with the rest of the X line, incredibly sharp, great color but mostly flat feeling.