Proposed contest using the new Ferrania films

pop

Are you interested in a contest celebrating the launch of the new Ferrania films?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a contest celebrating the launch of the new Ferrania films?

• Yes; I will definitely take part.
    • Yes, I like the idea and have not decided yet whether I will take part.
    • I like the idea and look forward to seeing the results.
    • No, I don't like the idea.
    • Thanks for asking; I don't care.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Presently, some of us will be receiving their first rolls of Ferrania film. In celebration of the relaunch or perhaps new launch of what we all hope will be a very nice color film, I have suggested doing a contest of sorts.

First of all: are there any members interested in joining such a contest? Please use the poll at the beginning of this thread.

Then, a proper contest needs a title and a mission. Shall we just call for nicely colored pictures taken with the new film, or for pictures showcasing the particular strengths of the new film (if any), or shall we use a seasonal or topical theme for the occasion?

What do you think about the timeline? I think that many here would like to shoot and develop at least one roll before starting in earnest with the pictures to be submitted for the contest. That would suggest a timeline roughly like this:

Day 0: Ferrania starts sending the films.
Day 10: Hopefully, all members have their films and start their first testing shots.
Day 20: Member send their films in for development.
Day 30: Members receive their developed films and prints, start taking their price winning pictures for the contest
Day 40: Price winning pictures are taken; members send their films in for development
Day 50: 2nd films are developed and printed; members scan and submit their entries
Day 60: Deadline for submitting entries; voting starts
Day 70: Deadline for voting. Mods tally the votes
Day 75: The top three entries are declared and celebrated.

I think we should apply the usual rules we always apply for our challenges: one entry per contestant, three votes per voting member (3, 2 and 1 point, respectively), no voting for own picture; all pictures to be taken with Leica cameras or lenses or both.

Should this be an event which is held once only in celebration of this new film, or does anyone fancy a recurring contest?

Please use this thread to discuss the suggestions.
Edited by pop
  • Like 2

+1, and we need to make sure that Day 10 is really Day 10 for everyone so we can ensure that we stay on track.

What are the special characteristics of this film? I took a really quick look on the website and couldn't find anything. I'm happy to aim to shoot to the strength of the film provided that I can do so with people and city buildings as subjects and not solely landscapes isn't that plentyful in Manhattan.

The first rolls are for their backers though Kickstarter, although it would be foolish if they weren't planning on a general release at about the same time, so perhaps the contest should not only be on hold while stocks hit the shops, but perhaps we should see if Ferrania are interested in offering a token prize?

Steve

• Like 1

Just a wild thought, but wouldn't this idea be applicable to all film producers? I know Ferrania will be the new kids on the block, but what about an annual Ilford, Kodak, Foma, etc. form of mild competition? Manufacturers could argue in marketing it may get more people using film types they have never used, we could argue the dna of LUF in film photography as an ideal match?

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Philipp

This sounds very exciting - having looked at their website I remain at a loss to see how you order or pre-order a supply of the film - is it possible for you to post details of how you place an order ?

I am working on that right now.

Steve - thanks for your suggestions.

As for involving Ferrania in the proposed contest - that would make it an official forum matter; I will take that up with Andreas, as I see some nice synergies emerging from that.

As for applying this contest to other makes of films: I think it would be a straight forward application of the principles of the other contests running here (or sleeping, as the case may be) that the winner of the contest gets to choose the film and the topic to be used for the next issue of the contest. We could even apply a similar timing scheme as the one I proposed above such that members could familiarize with the respective film type.

Are there any takers for that?

There are, BTW, a few more potential contestants in the German speaking part of the forum: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/analog-forum/366042-vorschlag-wettbewerb-zur-feier-des-neuen.html#post2899958

Edited by pop
  • Like 1

There have been some delays in the project. I have received a new timeline:

Due to some unforeseen delays, we must adjust our target for reward shipments to the end of May, but perhaps stretching into early June.

Also, I have asked about the availability of more films; they think that sales might possibly begin around the end of June. But then, they might not.

I am curious to see how people will preserve unique characteristics of a specific film once you add in the variable of how any look can be altered intentionally or by the equipment in numerous ways by scanning and post processing. I'd expect there to be many different "looks" shown from any one film.

This Ferrania is E-6 slide film so prints won't be necessary. But it might make it tougher for some to get full range scans that communicate all that the film has recorded.

Edited by AlanG

I've been a judge at many camera club slideshows and even looking at the projected film directly, other than in a few cases, I would not know what film was used.

This is not to say that the project is without merit. But maybe identify a specific characteristic of this film (presumably it has one or more) and ask contributers to try to capitalize on that.

Alan - I agree with you to some degree but even with a scanning and PP workflow there are certain films that do have distinct characteristics. The Cinestill 800T and 50 films are an example. I've used both extensively and even after processing I can still tell them apart from my portra 160/400 and Fuji Pro 400H, for example.

I think the spirit of the contest can be preserved if the photographers are instructed to process the scans with a view toward achieving the natural look of the film. These should be boundaries that are fairly easy to stay within.

Keep in mind that even in the darkroom the WB and contrast levels can be adjusted to achieve certain altered looks.

Alan - you may not have noticed, but no one here has ever seen a single roll of that film. I don't think it's feasible to reach consensus about the particularities of a new film (if any) and launch a contest within an attractive time frame based on those particularities.

Seeing the queue of potential contestants, I don't think we should bother too much with finding constraints for the contest. I, for one, am happy with people just going ahead and trying to surprise us.

In case I have not expressed that clearly enough:

Those members who have not entered their pledges with Kickstarter probably will not be able to obtain any film from Ferrania within the time frame outlined above. Since some members might have ordered more films than they actually need at that time, they might wish to help out other members who have not.

I guess that what I'm getting at is that people may want to look for some kind of difference between Ferrania E6 film and the only other 100 ISO E-6 film available (Provia and Velvia)... and then try to communicate that difference in their images and post work. Although there is nothing wrong with a bunch of pretty pictures either.

Edited by AlanG

I guess that what I'm getting at is that people may want to look for some kind of difference between Ferrania E6 film and the only other 100 ISO E-6 film available (Provia and Velvia)... and then try to communicate that difference in their images and post work. Although there is nothing wrong with a bunch of pretty pictures either.

That would be just great, I think, if each contestant tried to demonstrate what differences he or she seems to see.

• 3 weeks later...