IR experiments

T44ISKN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first successful attempt at taking an infra-red shot, inspired by a recent talk on this subject at Croxley Camera Club. The Leica M8 with it's extremely thin IR filter, combined with a Hoya R72 filter on the front of the lens, appears to give great results!

I shot the image at ISO160 using the "hidden" RAW mode in the camera and then converted to DNG using Arvid's M8RAW2DNG utility. This gave me a low-noise DNG that I could use to boost the image and counteract the loss of light caused by using the R72 infrared filter. Think I pushed the exposure +3EV in Adobe Camera Raw? Other than that, I just used Silver Efex to give me the mono look that I wanted. I'm just using Photshop Elements 11.

16716768716_a158e6d94d_o_d.jpg

• Like 8

Very pleasing result. I use LR which yields very similar results. Did you conduct tests to assess focus-shift? Which lens?

Glad you like it. My first tests came out really blurry until I remembered that you have to compensate for IR focus-shift.

I then remembered an article I have read on Luminous Landscape, which recommended using the f/4 marker. With my Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 Asph, this seemed to work nicely.

The Leica M8 and Infra-Red Photography - Luminous Landscape

Very nice image. Ich have a M8 and also would like to try infrared. Unfortunately (as far as i know) the Hoya R72 filter is not available in 39mm size? Which filter size did you use? And how?

Best regards,

Peter

Sorry Peter - I only just saw this.

A member of my camera club lent me a filter in 52mm size. I just hand held this against the front of my lens!

It flares a lot if the sun is in the shot, so I'd want to get the right size and use a lens hood.

• 2 weeks later...

This is with a Red filter, a B&W 090, about the same as a RED 25A, 5x filter factor.

Red channel is visible red, Blue channel is Infrared, and Green channel gets red and infrared.

16402890674_c45439e54f_o.jpgI1015872 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Starting with M8RAW2DNG; Blue and Green channels boosted to same level as Red, then Red and Blue channels are exchanged to give an Infrared Ektachrome look.

• Like 1

I had a chance to take the M8 out to try the new conversion software.

1) This will only work with the M8;

2) this will only work using uncompressed DNG files from M8RAW2DNG.

B&W 090 Red filter; Blue and Green channels Equalized with Red; Blue and Red pixels exchanged.

17007670886_a5c91a81f9_o.jpgI1015873 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

All at ISO160, hand-held.

16846128410_1f9df468cb_o.jpgI1015961 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

28mm Elmarit, most at F5.6.

More here:

Edited by Lenshacker

If you want the strongest "false-color" foliage, a la Ektachrome EIR shot with a yellow filter, (screaming red foliage, without as much purple cast) you need two pictures, one taken with a pure IR pass filter (no visible light) and one with a yellow filter.

(example - real EIR film with yellow filter: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3909/15123898936_a43afc7f8a.jpg )

Take the yellow-filter image, and copy:

green channel to blue channel

red channel to green channel

Then copy the IR filtered red channel to the yellow-filtered image red channel.

(That's more or less how Kodak did it - intentionally mismatching the spectral sensivity with the dye colors.) Ektachrome EIR shot with NO filter gave the purplish pictures.

If you make the blue channel totally empty (black) you get a different palette (second picture).

This shot was hand-held, with the channels "hand-aligned" for the central tree trunk. A tripod would do better, obviously, except for moving clouds and such.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 4

I have a color filter wheel that is computer controllable. Thiught it would be interesting to use with the M Monochrom to make color images. I could also use it with a set of filters, IR Block, 88a, 87c, to get a color-Infrared effect. I have two full-spectrum converted cameras, one is monochrome..

Orange filter- Blue channel is left sensitive to IR.

17112066551_5e314fde2c_b.jpgI1016049 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

16905337837_69c1edd593_b.jpgI1016039 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Custom software boosts the Blue and Green channel to match Red, then rotates the color channels in the Color-Filter-Array Tag of the DNG header.

16925162970_131d7236c9_b.jpgI1016044 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Edited by Lenshacker

• 1 month later...

I got myself a R72 filter this week. Unfortunately it has been raining every day (and all "summer"), so the pictures could look more infrared-ish, but it was the best I could do.

I don't like using Photoshop so I searched for a red/blue channel swap that could work without leaving Lightroom. I found this Camera Profile: http://www.capturemonkey.com/redblueswap-lightroom-profiles

Does anyone know any better profile, or could make one?

I don't really know which is better, the first one using PS or the second one using the profile i LR. But using the profile is a lot easier and saves disc space.

Could someone tell me more about the method behind making the red foliage like with Ektachrome EIR?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A comparison between M9 and M8 using a IR R72 filter. I used the Camara Profile from my last posting. The M9 needed five more EV (1/8 s vs 2s + 1,0 in LR).

M9 first, then M8:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I got myself a R72 filter this week. Unfortunately it has been raining every day (and all "summer"), so the pictures could look more infrared-ish, but it was the best I could do.

I don't like using Photoshop so I searched for a red/blue channel swap that could work without leaving Lightroom. I found this Camera Profile: http://www.capturemonkey.com/redblueswap-lightroom-profiles

Does anyone know any better profile, or could make one?

I don't really know which is better, the first one using PS or the second one using the profile i LR. But using the profile is a lot easier and saves disc space.

Could someone tell me more about the method behind making the red foliage like with Ektachrome EIR?

Very nice.  I really like these colours.