Help...V700 Scanned Negatives, M9 files, aspect ratio question

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot a film MP, as well as an M9 and an M-P(240). I process my own film and scan the negs on an Epson V700, with good results. For all post-production work I use LR. I was noticing, particularly when it comes time to print using a service, that the aspect of the M9 files vs. the negatives is slightly different. I know that the M9 is 3:2...but I'd always thought 35mm film (not the film itself but the film gate of the exposed frame and therefore the pictures themselves) was 3:2 as well. However, using landscape as an example, the long edge of my negative scans (both the original scanned jpg and also when it is in LR) is longer than with the M9 files (or the 240 files). Note that the film scans are completely proportional (i.e. they're not stretched in any way, or elongated).

However it would appear from looking at the negatives themselves that the V700 is trimming them to 4:3. Basically I want, in the end, to print my negative scans at their full aspect, without loss of anything, i.e. I want to print traditional 8X10. When I try to use that setting in Epson Scan after the preview, under "Target Size", it won't let me. Help!!

I almost never define the scanned area by putting dimensions into boxes but manually crop the image so I know for sure as much of the film area as possible is scanned. In the Preview panel choose 'Manual' instead of 'Thumbnail' and it will show the full image, then adjust the crop tool until you are happy. If I want to standardise the exact size of the image I would do that later in Lightroom/Photoshop.

Steve

I almost never define the scanned area by putting dimensions into boxes but manually crop the image so I know for sure as much of the film area as possible is scanned. In the Preview panel choose 'Manual' instead of 'Thumbnail' and it will show the full image, then adjust the crop tool until you are happy. If I want to standardise the exact size of the image I would do that later in Lightroom/Photoshop.

Steve

The film strip holder might occlude part of the image area.

However it would appear from looking at the negatives themselves that the V700 is trimming them to 4:3. Basically I want, in the end, to print my negative scans at their full aspect, without loss of anything, i.e. I want to print traditional 8X10.

I'm confused. A 35mm frame is approximately 36x24mm, i.e. aspect ratio close to 3:2. An 8x10 print has an aspect ratio close to 4:5 (how close depends on the margins).

It's not possible to print a 35mm negative at 4:5 without cropping.

I'm confused. A 35mm frame is approximately 36x24mm, i.e. aspect ratio close to 3:2. An 8x10 print has an aspect ratio close to 4:5 (how close depends on the margins).

It's not possible to print a 35mm negative at 4:5 without cropping.

When I worked at a photo shop in the 1960s people kept insisting on "no crop" 8x10s. So I'd print so the length fit the 10" leaving wide borders on the other sides - the only way to do it. Then they would complain all the more. Lots of folk are ratio challenged.