Konost {merged}

DMJ

The Konost camera is unique in that instead of using rotating mirrors and prisms in the rangefinder mechanism, it uses a secondary image sensor and image processing algorithms to display the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder. This allows the camera to be all-digital, decreasing manufacturing costs, and does not require high maintenance or re-callibration.
I want to see that.

Glad someone started a thread on this;

from the news blast I read looks like they went to the electronics scrap yard and picked up some idea's from old existing technology and made a nice drawing!

1/4000 doesn't cut it, neither does 20MP or ISO 6400 if they are planning on getting me to opt in.

Regards

Looks an interesting concept, I hope it comes to fruition and I'm potentially a customer although unlikely to be an early adopter because I'm currently very happy with my M.

They'll be confronted with the same problem of coping with oblique rays from wide angle lenses at the edges of the sensor that manufacturers of other short register cameras have been unable to effectively solve but I wish them well. Konost's innovative approach to a digital rangefinder/viewfinder suggests that perhaps they'll successfully innovate their way past this problem.

Pete.

• Like 1

Glad someone started a thread on this;

from the news blast I read looks like they went to the electronics scrap yard and picked up some idea's from old existing technology and made a nice drawing!

1/4000 doesn't cut it, neither does 20MP or ISO 6400 if they are planning on getting me to opt in.

Regards

Wouldn't it depend on price and image quality? 20MP is plenty for 99% of what I do and probably most of us using Leica digital rangefinders. Heck, the M9 works pretty well at 18MP. And, if at 6400 it renders a nice clean image, that's good enough for most of us also. Having a less expensive, lightweight rf style camera with which to use my M lenses would be pretty attractive for me.

• Like 7

Looks good. Maybe this company can make them out of plastic and get the cost down?

I wish Fuji had made a true knockoff of a Leica for about $2500. But any rangefinder choice is welcome. Hopefully this cam is reliable and produces.

I can't be relaxed with my Leica's. Too expensive to lose. That is why I shoot Fuji a lot, but I hate the Fuji controls.

I wish them well, and I look forward to seeing the finished camera.

Competition is good, and if a lower entry price brings lots of new customers to the rangefinder concept, then some of them may feed into Leica as the 'ultimate'. That's good news for Leica - tricky if you are the only company pushing a system-type.