A blow for 'film' is dead', even more to choice to come

250swb

Yeah, well - keep in mind that even our "hi-res" scans (when included with processing) are automated machine scans. Not exactly Nikon (let alone Imacon) grade, despite the pixel count. Fine for the largest prints the machine can provide (8x12"), and fine for most customers (heck, most buy the small versions).

Those prices are for developing only. The little shop where I have my C41 done offers scanning as well and I tried I once but the quality was really not what I want. Since I always scan myself I haven't looked into prices. I don't find scanning a hassle at all.

• Like 1

Before digital, I did no colour negative photography. Everything was either B&W or transparency.

My goal was always the one-off fine print, which had a very low hit rate, but which were worth the effort. My father was a very keen photographer, and the house was littered with packets of 5x7 prints which were put aside to collect dust, and slowly fade. So I would get contact sheets of the B&W to look for images worth enlarging and I'd get Cibachrome prints of the few slides which warranted the cost.

These days, I'm back into developing my own B&W film, and I then scan; slides I get professionally done, and then scan. If I want prints (still the ultimate aim), I get them done professionally from the digital file.

If digital sensors were as mature as film, I wouldn't bother (not entirely sure about that). I absolutely loathe the lack of durability of digital sensors, and the stupid race of technology. By all means develop a 50MP M camera, but please continue the existing 24 MP CMOSIS sensor. By all means improve it, but make such replacements so they can be retrofitted to existing M cameras.

Not so much to ask, is it?

• Like 6

I certainly hope film isn't dead. I am still shooting a lot of it. I develop my own so the cost is relatively low.

I don't scan a lot. Only the ones I want. I contact print instead. It isn't all that hard to do and it doesn't take much equipment. When I'm done I can look through what I have and pick any that may look decent when printed. Then I scan the one I want, run it through some simple photoshop processes and print 4x6 or 5x7.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
This is getting bad, I just decided on Delta 400 as my fast film of choice, and now Bergger are back on the scene with their Pancro 400!

Here is the link to the announcement on APUG

NEW FILM : BERGGER Pancro 400

Steve

I really liked their FB paper. Does it still exist anywhere?

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip - but do those prices include scanning (or prints), or just the film development?

We charge $3.99 (~3€) for the development, but scans are extra. Basic 6 Mpixel scans for a whole roll (done in the Fuji print machine - automated, no fine corrections) run $6.99 extra, while "hi-res" scans at time of processing (4000 ppi) are $9.99 per roll extra.

Those prices only apply to uncut film at time of developing, though. It is more expensive per frame to have cut strips scanned later. More labor involved.

Personally, as an employee, I could get developing/scanning for free. But usually do my own, anyway (even C41) for time flexibility (try to find a lab open, with one-hour processing, at 9 pm!).

Just a quick update. Hema cuts the 120 film into strips of 3 images and, amazingly, puts them in those expensive (Secol I think) transparent neg/slide sheets. The charge is still 3,50Eur per roll (I haven't tried getting 120 uncut). Hema also cuts 135, but into strips of 5 which I don't like. But if one writes a note on the bag, they refrain from cutting the film.

I pay 11€ for developing and scanning a C41 roll. They can scan higher resolution but I like the standard 1840x1232 pixel scans. I will do higher res scan or wet print of individual negatives in the future.

• Like 1