Leica X (Typ 113) - Is it a Worthwhile Upgrade?

wda

Seeling my X1 was the biggest regret of my life in photography. Such a beautiful, simple camera and such great results!

Mine has been in constant use for over five years. Consider looking for a mint used one. Put your name down with a trusted Leica dealer.

The X1 is a definite keeper... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That portrait is simply spectacular! I am glad I got my X113 too and those who loves whining about the aperture at close range should get over it. At 1m I can shoot with f2 that is good enough for me, you still get shallow DoF and amazing IQ. I have the X100 who opens all the way to f2 in close up and guess what, the pictures look pretty crappy; tons of aberrations of any kind so you need to close down at least to f2.8...

• 2 years later...

I see the now recently discontinued X 113 is down to USD1440 . Would ( asking as a no-Leica-experience , Canon 5diii user ...... ) this we worth getting at this price for street photography ?

Ringo,

After a few months of having both the X1 and the X113 finally I sold the X113. For some reason I never felt in love with it, and the files from the X1 are more of my taste. Fast forward to March 2017, I would double check the Fuji X100F. I know it is not a Leica but you need to add another $500 for the EVF, so basically you end up paying 2 grand. For less than that you can get a sweet M8 or going extra for an M9... :)

Many thanks for your thoughts on this . Appreciated !   Yes , second hand interesting cameras are often not too much more than a new much lesser one . I didn't pull the trigger on the X113 , and interestingly , they only sold one at this price although many were watching and waiting for further reductions .  

• 1 month later...

Dear X Colleagues,

The X series of cameras remain a strong set of tools for serious but perhaps a little slower photography.

I have 3 X1 that are preset and tuned for various exposure and image settings and use them throughout the world on a regular basis. Also have the X Vario.

They each have the grip and OVF for each one and the Jpeg output quality consistently exceeds almost every other Leica of the past 5 years.

The X1 is the baseline and the 113 adds speed in several ways for those that need it.

The X2 is a solid camera but its images in my experience never quiet matched the X1 or what I have seen from the 113.

The X Vario has always been a underdog that produces exceptional images......

A great second camera for those Leica owners with M or SL kits that will be used more than they think!

Take a look at my site at Leica Foto Park under RRG.....for a few X1 images and even an action shot at a national Kayak race.

Looking at getting an X-U at some point...

The X photographer is capable of great images!!

Cheers!

At first, I thought the 'aperture limitation' would disappoint me. But to the contrary, after some close-up shots I did with the X, I found that is actually a nice 'feature' (limitation).

I wouldn't be able to get sharp result like this, if the camera let me use it's lens maximum aperture:

16315636349_c33a486c96_b.jpgL1002285-Edit by Yoki P. Soufyan, on Flickr

Leica's engineers are smarter than me, obviously.. ;)

Nothing like a stunning image to make the case for a camera. This is beautifully lit and of course the communication with your subject is right on as well.

As for the case for an "upgrade", I would also add for me it is that personal connection with the feel of a camera. I also had an X1 and  my selling it long before I got an X had nothing to  do with the X or my not liking the camera.  The feel and construction are quite different. Other than the flash on the X1, not saying one is better than another. It is just very subjective. I do miss the green light on back of the X1 that allowed easy viewing while using a brightline finder. My get around (not as good) is to see the green square show up when I am focused. No camera has everything!