Anyone else really dislike post processing?

Very true and this of course liberates a lot of time, assuming you can a) afford a superb printer to make your prints and B) you can find a printer you can communicate with well and form a synergistic relationship.

I worked with Robin Bell (London, UK) for some years and I learned a huge amount from him, which inspired me to write about it. He became a good friend too.

What's interesting is that a master printer may be better a realising your own work than you are. It did not take long for Robin and me to get on the same wavelength and now I can make a test print and get a good sense of whether I or Robin should print it! However, I only got to this point by learning a great deal from the prints he made from my negatives. Unfortunately vision is no use without the skill to realise it.

Except that more than one famous photographer did not do any darkroom himself,

but handed over to a refined technician. And also with film developing.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

To some extend I also find PP annoying, from time to time. Particularly when I have to work on a lot of pictures. But I must say, that it is mostly my own fault. Often I start with some little work on the pictures, before I have done my final selection. And than it goes on and on.

So what I can say: I really hate the editing part. And sometimes I wish somebody would do that for me.

But I don't see it as cheating. I like to keep the balance between what was captured by the sensor and how I saw the situation with my own eyes and how I would like others to see it.

And here it is as with film. Often I spent whole nights in the dark room, trying to get a print exactly as I wanted it. (I must say I never became perfect in that.) For working with Lightroom it is similar for me. I have to find the right moment to stop working on a picture.

And one other thought: If PP means cheating, then, Photography itself is cheating, at least to some extend, as you always "crop" from reality.