advice on a printer for A3+

leicatraveller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With manufacturer rebates, along with retailer discounts, you should be able to find one for hardly more than yours. And the ink costs over the long term, which is where the real costs lie, will be much better per ml with the larger cartridges. Even if not used frequently, running a print through every so often will keep things in good shape. Plus you get a nice printer….with a large maintenance cartridge for excess inks (clean cycles).

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

I agree.

I think I've read what is to read about printers, - online.

Costly or cheaper photo-printers, - 3880 is the one that most talking nicely about.

It must be the photo-printer as a whole which is cheapest to use and most reliable.

Printers, scanners, computers and old analog photo archives, - everything is very space consuming.

I'm just an amateur, and photo is just one of my hobbies. But I see the need to furnish a separate room for my photographic activity - roughly like I had a darkroom in the old days.

The day it happens, I will acquire a 3880 or its successor.:)

…..Printers, scanners, computers and old analog photo archives, - everything is very space consuming.

I'm just an amateur, and photo is just one of my hobbies. But I see the need to furnish a separate room for my photographic activity - roughly like I had a darkroom in the old days.

The day it happens, I will acquire a 3880 or its successor.:)

Aside from the other equipment you mention, the 3880 is hardly any bigger or heavier than your new SP600…under 3" wider, a half inch deeper, an inch taller and 8 lbs heavier. It's not until you get to the 4900 series that things become beast-mode.

I keep my printer in my office, since that's where my desktop computer is anyway, and it fits easily on a cabinet top that I was already using for filing. I do, however, have a separate room for my mat cutter, frame supplies, photo storage and 'work print' display…but that was equally true in my darkroom days. So net/net, I've been able to eliminate the equivalent darkroom space….as well as the light proofing, extra ventilation, etc, that was required.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 3880 after having rented time on one for the past year at a local lab. I'm still using the OEM Epson cartridges and really love the B&W output that it produces. I've only made a few 16x20" prints in color and they've been great, as well.

After some consideration I just got an Epson SureColor P600, which is my first photo printer. So i cannot really evaluate how it is to work with compared to other products. However, my experience so far has been OK. The printer is easy to set-up, I used wifi to connect the printer, and within an hour and half or so I had some very nice prints which I am fully satisfied with. I used Hahnemühle Luster paper with the designated ICC profile for the first test. So a very good experience so far.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The day it happens, I will acquire a 3880 or its successor. :)

Well, Epson just announced its successor…the SureColor P800.  Early news describes new feed options, including optional roll feed adapter and other improvements already noted in the recently announced P600 (the 13" successor to the R3000).  Unfortunately no new ink colors (was hoping for orange or green as in 4900... or gloss optimizer…or extra black).  Guess that would have been tough in smaller footprint, without other sacrifices.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 4 weeks later...