Leica M9 and camping

sfethan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone ever brought their Leica M9 to camping? Where the environment is not so friendly to electronic devices, especially Leica M9 is not weather sealed. Are there any recommendations on gear protections? Thanks!

Use your normal camera bag (if it is waterproof) and take a towel for your camera, that's it. Your M9 is far more robust than the 'special case' brigade give it credit for, so don't burden yourself with too much worry. If you are camping you will have some concept of keeping dry to start with, so just extend that common sense to your camera. But your M9 can get moderately wet (mine has been very wet), and the only problem in that situation is humidity causing condensation in the viewfinder window, so don't get it wet then try to keep it warm, let it dry at the ambient temperature.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I'm going camping in Iceland on Saturday for 2 weeks. Taking M9, three lenses, flash and tripod.

Ortleib waterproof bag, roll top dry bag and silica pouches mandatory. I've taken the M9 out hiking many times and the only concern is running out of power - take spare batteries and a charger with car adapter. Checking for power sockets in every building you enter will become reflexive, but you can help things by switching off auto-review, not chimping until you get home, and setting the auto-power-off to 2 minutes.

When I bought my M9 and lenses it was (and still is) the most I spent on anything that wasn't an over-priced education (I don't own a car). I was terrified of anything happening to it for the first couple of weeks and felt like an a## spending so much money on a hobby, and kept thinking about selling and buying something more suitable for my 2nd rate photography skills.

I decided "screw it", it's a tool that I love using, and since then I've taken it around the world in some pretty nasty climates, from sub-zero Korea to blazing hot Mongolia, to "tourists-get-robbed" Rio, to humid torrential rain-storm laden Central America. I've beaten the crap out of it for years and it hasn't let me down, except for stupidly dropping it screen first on a hard surface in Italy and smashing the LCD screen, but that was my fault for not closing my camera bag.

I just don't go out of my way to get it wet or otherwise expose it, and keep it protected when not shooting. For a non-weather-sealed "luxury" item, it's certainly a tough little bastard. Now watch, I've just jinxed myself and I'll damage it somehow shooting on a beautiful 75 degree NYC outing in Central Park this weekend :p .

Since I drowned my beloved M6 ttl some years ago in a failed river crossing whilst tramping in New Zealand, my Leicas stay at home. In fact when my better half approved the buying of an M-E in 2013 it was with the express understanding that it would not accompany me on serious multi day hiking trips. Just ordinary car camping and so on is fine. These days I just take a little Fuji x10. Small, light and easy to hide in a waist bag. Digital Leicas despite what others may say are "hot house flowers".

We had the dunked-M club here. Some M8/ M9 cameras  survived rather moist mishaps, including being dropped into a river, although I would advise against trying this at home.

My M8 and M9 have been wet to the point of sitting in a puddle of spray and are still going strong, but I try to avoid the experience.

The weathersealed 240 should be quite a bit more  resistant.

I'm always a bit uneasy about water drops near the shutter speed selector dial and the shutter button...fearing that water may get in from the slot beneath the dial.....Am I worrying too much?  :o

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I take M9 everywhere in every condition. It is a very tough camera.

19676123781_6142ffafa4_b.jpgL1035449 by unoh7, on Flickr

18800660583_573e437dc5_b.jpgL1034750 by unoh7, on Flickr

The whole reason for the original Leica was as a hiking camera. The old Leica mags are full of articles about climbing with the Leica etc.

It's a shame the current powers at Leica have let the M become so bloated. We need a digital Barnack.

:)

My late wife said, "Have we evolved for two million years to sleep on the ground?"

I said, "But we do it for recreation."

She replied, "Recreate alone, Honey."

I think you have to be familiar with Vassar grads to know what she was really saying.

It was vulgar. I'd expect nothing less.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...