Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZM availability? Has anyone gotten a serial version yet?

SiriusLux

I must say that this hood business is revealing.

Zeiss are charging 10% extra for a small piece of plastic that, despite having spent 3 years designing the lens, they have failed to get out into mainstream distribution with the lens.

This cheapens the brand. The packaging of these Zeiss lenses is fairly rudimentary. No sealing. Just polystyrene and a plastics bag. But to then make me hunt around for a suitable lens hood does not make me warm to the brand. Do they really think that they would have lost that many sales if they had increased the price of the lens by 10% and thrown in the hood, saving me the hunting time?

170€ for a tiny, little metal hood. How nice for them. The hood for my 35C was something like $75/65€

This one must be shaped from magical meteorites or something. ;)

For that sort of money, why not carbon fibre?

Edited by james.liam

Do they really think that they would have lost that many sales if they had increased the price of the lens by 10% and thrown in the hood, saving me the hunting time?

Strange that the hood, absurdly overpriced as it is, is unobtainable for a lens that especially seem to need it. Also, the silver version appeared first in the US, rather than a mix. Don't believe any of the black version are to be found.

• Like 1

You think machine time is free? Sure. Modern NC machine time is more expensive than a worker in Japan.

But doesn't it work faster, work nonstop and more accurately? Surely it can work 365 days a year and does not require parental upbringing, education of 15-20 years, constantly increasing salary to buy stuff, retirement benefits and medical insurance, etc.

Perhaps it's important how one calculates "more expensive than a worker in Japan".

Edited by algrove

You think machine time is free? Sure. Modern NC machine time is more expensive than a worker in Japan.

So why do they not use the Japanese worker? The cost of the hood is an insult, but that fact that they haven't got them into the channel is just a shambles.

Mildly amused to find complaints about accessory prices on a leica forum...

I remember paying a good price for a 12585 for my first 35 Summicron, and a replacement for the one on my 35 asph Summicron was absurdly overpriced for a plastic moulding, poorly designed too as it doesn't have the top corner opening so the viewfinder can see through it, I had to put that in myself.

Gerry

• Like 2