NiZn batteries 1.6v AA in a SF-58?

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, has anybody tried the NiZn 1.6v batteries (A Review Of NiZn Batteries - MetaEfficient) in the SF 58 flash gun. On paper the battries look great but there are some reviews on Amazon that are not so good.

The battries seem to produce a faster recycle time due to the 1.6v but will it fry the SF 58? Before anybody asks, I do need the faster recycle time. At the moment I am using Godox 860c Ving flash guns because of the big lump of battery and 2 sec recharge time on full power.

However, if the NiZn work in the SF 58 I can get HSS flash with a short recharge time.

John

John, as recommended by Leica AG and as SF24D , batteries should be "1.5 volt alkaline manganese" or "lithium"

I opted for lithium batteries non-rechargeable.

For rechargeable batteries Leica recommends NC 1.2 V type IEC KR6 (AA)

or IEC HR6 (AA) Nickel Metal Hydride

But you can always try knowing that the rechargeable batteries may stop suddenly when discharged. For this reason I buy non-rechargeable batteries. Safer !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

The NiZn cells have similar open-circuit voltage to alkaline cells, but lower internal resistance (similar to NiCd and NiMH, in fact). This means that their voltage won't drop the same way as that of alkaline cells does when supplying the heavy current to charge the SF 58's capacitor - which in turn means that they'll put out more current than either alkaline or NiCd/NiMH, hence the extra-fast recycling.

Depending how the SF58's components are specced and heat-sinked, this may or may not be a problem. The low internal resistance of NiCd cells certainly was a concern for Metz with the old 45 series; these came with a NiCd battery pack or a holder for 6 AA cells. The NiCd pack and the AA holder supplied power via different contacts inside the battery compartment and there were stern warnings in the manual only to use alkalines in the AA holder, not rechargeables. One of my second-hand 45CL4 units has a heat-warped casing in the battery-oscillator-capacitor area, perhaps for this reason.

• Like 1

Hello where are you ? :eek:

Henry

I was throwing teddy out of the pram... :D

I have bought a set of the battries to give them a try. Just waiting for them to be delivered, and the insurance is topped up. Shhhh! Don't mention this thread to my broker. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right. I bought two sets of the 1.6v battries and put them into the flashgun. It didn't go bang... Recharge time after a full power dump is about 3 sec. A big improvement over standard battries.

I would be concerned that a prolonged use on a shoot would cause the flash to overheat and that would cause it to fry.

The Godox v860 flashgun that I use, has a 11.1V 2000mAh Lithium-Ion battery, and the flash will shut under hard use. There has to be a downside to very fast recycling time. I don't know if the SF 58 will shut down so quickly if it gets too hot, as it was never designed for a high voltage. I have blown a few Canon and Metz flash tube over the years from hard use.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up. I have been using these batteries now for a couple of weeks and I have used the flash gun on quite a few shoots.

Well the flash did not go 'Bang' as I was afraid it might. The recharge time is MUCH quicker than before and the batteries seem to hold the charge very well. So (so far), I am very pleased.

It seems to be a win win. :)

• Like 2