Pleased as a Peach with Jobo CPP3

M9reno

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last December, at the height of the M9 'sensor crisis', I ordered a Jobo CPP3 in a reactionary fit of anti-digital angst.

Getting the machine set up was not easy for me. A few days before Christmas, I ruined some rubber washers on my first attempt at installing the Lift. I found the accompanying instructions all but user-friendly. However, Firstcall and Jobo CS were extremely helpful in sorting out the wrinkles.

Yesterday, I finally got around to processing my first color film: a neglected roll of Ektar shot last summer with my M6TTL. MUCH simpler to do than I had expected. I had never home-developed color before, only B/W.

Looking at the results is awesome - what a game-changer this is going to be, not to have to rely on labs anymore! Not a scratch or a speck of dust, and I can only blame myself when I do see any.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 18

Very cool Al, congratulations. It looks great. It is a funny coincidence that I spent the weekend trying to get my head around the various Jobo models - not easy (is there an overview chart anywhere on the known Internet?).

Have you figured out the cost per roll? And will you be doing E6 too?

br

Philip

• Like 1

Thanks, Philip. The best place to look is: Jobo - USA But even this isn't very helpful (there's confusing/contradictory/outdated information, or perhaps it's just me being dumb) - the set-up guide (more like a badly printed sheet) that comes with the CPP3 is in the same difficult style. (In fact, after consulting with Firstcall, the installation of the Lift had to be done in the exact *opposite* way described on the sheet, or else the screws will not go in!).

Intimidating, for anyone new to it, before they plunk down heavy cash, so Jobo can and should do much, much better in this respect.

When I felt I had to choose I went for a new CPP3. It would have been an even bigger leap in the dark (for me) to buy a used processor, and this way I got both support and warranty from both the dealer and Jobo. For installation, as I said, I ended up definitely needing the CS support.

Now that it's finally up and running I can't remember what all my worries and confusion were about!

Price: Tetenal C-41 kit for up to 12 rolls comes to under £16. That's peanuts compared to anything available from the labs (£4.90 per roll by mail + postage, or £10+ at the local Snappy Snaps shop). Even if the savings were much smaller, it's still worth it for me, for the convenience and peace of mind (I can't tell you how many times I've held my breath as I sent all 10+ rolls from a trip abroad, even by tracked special delivery, to a mail-in lab). I've also never found a lab that I trusted 100%. Even some that are highly rated on this forum have returned my film with dust or scratches, or drying marks. This way if I screw up, there's no one to blame but me.

Still, the price is steep - though still significantly less than Leica's various digital offerings. I have an M (which I part-traded at Mayfair for my sensor-corroded M9) but I see it as a practical tool (I used the M9 heavily for my work); I am not at all interested in the digital product cycle; and my heart is with film. So for me the processor was well worth the price.

I am now thinking of adding a drum for print developing. This would solve the main problem in my darkroom (a corner of a utility basement) - lack of ventilation, so bad that I've stopped using my trays.

PS - yes, I'm planning to do E-6, too. Next up!

• Like 3

Well done!

You got a good machine, much better than mine, I use an ordinary Paterson tank for colour, but I do use the Tetenal kit and it is really easy to use and very consistent (I even use it for 4x5). The thrill for me is that I can process the film the day I shoot it if I want, just like B&W, and it avoids the uncertainty of the post and as you say putting the job into other people's hands.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"I am now thinking of adding a drum for print developing. This would solve the main problem in my darkroom (a corner of a utility basement) - lack of ventilation, so bad that I've stopped using my trays."

Just in case you can remember this far back ... did you ever print with the Jobo ? I would like to have a go at colour prints, having seen some incredible images in the I like film thread, but have always been put off by people saying it is too hard. My initial research suggests that the Jobo CPP/ CPE etc may be the way forward. I was wondering if you had ventured into printing yet and how difficult/ rewarding printing colour can be.

Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've now done lots of b/w printing on the Jobo (with a large expert drum) and it works great, solving all my ventilation problems as foreseen.  However, I've not ventured into colour printing, though that is of course also possible, and I have the paper, filters and chemicals ready to go. There will be lots of trial and error, so I'm just waiting for a chunk of time to devote to it.

• Like 2

I've now done lots of b/w printing on the Jobo (with a large expert drum) and it works great, solving all my ventilation problems as foreseen.  However, I've not ventured into colour printing, though that is of course also possible, and I have the paper, filters and chemicals ready to go. There will be lots of trial and error, so I'm just waiting for a chunk of time to devote to it.

Thanks for this. I look forward to your first colour prints!

It is something I will look further into (working away from home for protracted periods always makes me think to much about equipment). It is whether I can get a good used processor or maybe get the Stark version. At the moment I would only consider it for colour processing and printing, but being able to print larger B&W prints would avoid the headache of where to put the larger trays. There are definitely advantages to these systems.

When you say filters, do you mean something like the Kodak colour cast viewing filters ? 

Edited by dgc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I won't bother you but my Jobo CPA-2 with elevator was just a bottle of wine.

24369660032_1fa98a8a6e_z.jpg

The 1m wide inert glass table was the biggest investment: Eur. 50,00 apart from that nice Ilford 4150 IR dryer (Eur. 90,00).

Here a last result in RA-4 from the Dutch Carnaval:

16799859091_e608316958_z.jpg

Mounting that elevator is a very simple handling, just a few screws and click it on, maybe 5 minutes work to do. Together with the CPA-2 I got a lot of extra Jobo drums: 2x 2523, Multitank-5, paper drums for 40x50cm, a lot of 2502 reels, a Jobo 2509N sheet film reel etc.

• Like 1

When you have to do a lot of RA-4 color prints I can advise you a Thermaphot ACP roller machine. For smaller formats. In the Jobo I am  doing the large RA-4 only (40x50cm) because cleaning and drying drums is a boring business.

24193876899_b944bd06ea_z.jpg

I was luck with that 20,3cm-80meters RA-4 Fuji Crystal Archieve paper. The "local" minilab broke their Fuji Frontier machinery and decided to go over to 100% digital inktjet prints (Epson/Canon). So the fresh RA-4 80meter rolls changed of the owner for .... Eur. 30,00. Regular price at Fuji BeNeLux with discount: Eur. 90,00. :)

• Like 2