I am considering offering up my M6 Titanium, for an M8.2. Any tips?

SnowHawk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do commercial photography as a huge part of my day job, but I have a Canon EOS 1Dx for that. However I do, for my personal use, much prefer my M6 due to the size and the quality of the glass. I have a decent assortment of M glass, all with UV/IR cut filters on them.

I would like to switch to a digital M as work has me traveling quite a bit going forward and I am honestly done with the extra handling that film requires. I don't know if anyone else has done this, or if I am over reaching by wanting to swap for an M8.2 body. If any of you have any thoughts, or tips, that you'd like to share with me I am all ears.

Edited by jaapv
PM sent

This is probably not news to you, but for me the biggest issue when swapping from an M6 to an M8 would be going from full frame to a crop sensor.

If you currently use something like the classic 35 / 50 / 90 lenses, the crop sensor would leave you without a wide lens and give you one very long lens.

I would personally seriously consider paying a bit more and getting the M9.

That way you can use all your current glass in the same way as you have on the M6.

• Like 1

My M9 has just returned from hospital (new sensor). During it's absence I reverted to my M8. The M8 is a great camera and I 'think' I prefer it's colour to the M9, however nr90's comment about the crop factor is real. I have a full suite of M lenses and so learned to 'switch down' one focal length to equalize in my head.

Apart from that, the M8 is excellent.

Oh, one other point of difference, which I did encounter recently. I forgot the approximately one stop high ISO advantage of the M9 over the M8, if that might be an issue for your applications.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the tips. Each of you brought something unique to my attention that I hadn't considered before, the biggest point being about crop factor. I hadn't taken this into account, and it looks like it's definitely better to keep my M6 and purchase an M9 (I prefer CCD) to compliment it. I know, it's pricey for a hobby, but I like to think what I'll save in film costs will hopefully even it out in the future. (I know this isn't the case, but please let me live in my bubble!)

I prefer the M8.2 to the M9. It doesn't have sensor issues (cracks or cover glass delamination), card issues, etc, and I prefer its 2m frame lines, top display, sapphire screen and files for b/w.

The crop factor never bothered me….one gets used to it quickly, and it doesn't hurt to use the 'sweet spot' on your lenses. For me, it just meant using my 28 Summicron more than my 35, and I preferred using my 50 Summiliux rather than having to deal with bigger 75mm lenses and awkward (IMO) 75mm frame lines. Remember, you don't do any cropping…the camera's frame lines already take that into consideration.

I now own an M 240 (a quieter and more refined camera than either the M8.2 or M9), but gladly keep my M8.2 for back-up.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S