APO Telyt 280 f/4 - R prices

M9reno

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt it. The 280/4 was only made in very small numbers. I heard that Leica only made about 2000, although I'm sure that someone will be able to provide more information. I'm told that Leica could not make the 280/4 APO now at a price, which the Leica consumer would be willing to pay. You can use it on a R, M, SL and S camera with appropriate adapters, which means that demand will continue to outstrip supply. (I won't be selling my copy, even for a big profit - I paid 1300 Euros for my 280/4 APO)

BTW, the 280/4 works also fabulously well on the A7r2, not so the SL 90-280 - that would be my guess. :wub:  

I doubt it. The 280/4 was only made in very small numbers. I heard that Leica only made about 2000, although I'm sure that someone will be able to provide more information. I'm told that Leica could not make the 280/4 APO now at a price, which the Leica consumer would be willing to pay. You can use it on a R, M, SL and S camera with appropriate adapters, which means that demand will continue to outstrip supply. (I won't be selling my copy, even for a big profit - I paid 1300 Euros for my 280/4 APO)

1300 Euros - wow, that's a good deal.  Prices on this lens actually seem to be rising in the US, not dropping.  I suppose that's a good thing since I paid a small fortune for my ex++ copy ($5,700).  Most recent eBay postings ranged from $5,600-$7,450 (dollars).

1300 Euros - wow, that's a good deal.  Prices on this lens actually seem to be rising in the US, not dropping.  I suppose that's a good thing since I paid a small fortune for my ex++ copy ($5,700).  Most recent eBay postings ranged from $5,600-$7,450 (dollars).

1300 Euros in 2007, when the DMR was still alive and kicking.

Hats off to Peter Karbe if he and his team can design a zoom lens (with its inherent limitations) to be as good as the 280/4 APO. The 280/4 APO is diffraction limited and some might view it as possibly the best lens designed by Leica.

I doubt it will be as good as the 280/4.0

However if the Telezoom is as good as the 24-90 than it would be very very good and would add AF for totally fast and accurate Fokus. SLightly out of Focus will destroy any optical Advantage in a second, I guess it depends also on what subjects one plans to shoot with it.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure I would be willing to pay that amount of money if I could get a 90-280/4.0 for the same price.

Maybe the 280/4.0 would be optically slightly better, but then the Zoom has AF and IS, and maybe, 15 years younger, its maybe even optically as good, who knows.

The 90-280/4.0 is a zoom and I assume it will be very good, for a zoom.  The 280/4.0 APO is a prime lens.  What is amazing about this lens is not just the MTF, it produces a very pleasing OOF rendering and pleasing image quality that can be seen in many of Doug's photos.

A better comparison might be to the R 105-280 zoom lens.

And, I won't be selling my copies of these lenses either.

Rick

• Like 2

The 90-280/4.0 is a zoom and I assume it will be very good, for a zoom.  

The 280/4.0 APO is a prime lens.  

What is amazing about this lens is not just the MTF, it produces a very pleasing OOF rendering and pleasing image quality that can be seen in many of Doug's photos.

A better comparison might be to the R 105-280 zoom lens.

And, I won't be selling my copies of these lenses either.

Rick

+1  Rick. When you are right you are right.  Two of my treasured lenses.

Lately I have added the Olympus 300/4 IS MFT lens.

It delivers a superb IQ and on E-M1 and E-M5.2 six stops of image stabilization.

Optimal for hand holding.  Even for shooting stars on a moon-less night without a tripod!

The APO-R 280/4 and Vario-R 105-280/4.2 I prefer to use with my Sony A7r2 on a tripod.

• Like 1

Don't tell anybody but I'll probably end up with the A7r2 (like you and Doug) for my R long lenses at some point.

Rick 

Welcome Rick!  I have now 7 R-lenses for use with my A7r2.  

IBIS works like magic with them according to Arthur C. Clarke,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws, quote:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I feel this applies in particular to the E-M1/5.2 + 300/4 IS + MC-14  1.4x extender!

BTW, on the A7r2 you get pitch, yaw, and roll image stabilization for R lenses.

In order to get X and Y stabilization the camera would also need to know the focus distance in addition to focal length.

But for infinity focus those latter stabilization contributions vanish anyway.

However, for close focus they could be important.

Edited by k-hawinkler

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

first to mention: I am a harmless hobbyist... please don't beat me up. Please read down below, this post is *not* off topic.

My uncle died a few years ago. So I got his Leica R stuff including some lenses, APO extenders, R5 and R6 body etc.

I use a Canon EOS 5D III and tried out some of the lenses. I immediately fell in love with the Summilux 80/1.4 which I will most probably keep for forever.

There are some other lenses like APO Macro Elmarit 100/2.8, APO-Telyt 180/3.4 etc...

And there is that APO-Telyt-R 280/4. A huge and heavy monster. It looks quite perfect (==nearly unused) except those slight traces of wear/corrosion near the small end. But that's pure cosmetics.

I just don't know what to do with it. I'm barely able to get a sharp (but VERY!! sharp) image using a tripod and patience. But I currently like taking pictures of sea gulls, horses, people and other stuff that moves around.

On the one hand I could trade/sell it: It could be "transformed" into a Canon 300/2,8 with AF and IS  AND the latest Canon Macro 100/2,8. From my current point of view

I could have more fun with those two.

On the other hand I could keep it until the point when I will know what I have there. But I have no idea if this point will ever come??

What should I do? Any suggestions? Or offers?

Every friendly comment is appreciated.

Philipp

P.S.: Lenses and me are located in Hannover, Germany.

Hi, Philipp, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting sharp pictures with your 280/4 APO-Telyt-R even on a tripod.  The first thing that springs to mind is whether your lens lacks the slide-out filter that forms part of the optical design.  (You'll see a 'raised' portion of the lens collar beside the left hand strap lug and the portrait/landscape orientation wheel that slides the small, clear filter out of the lens.)  If the clear filter/lens element is missing then this could affect the lens's performance.  As you probably know the 280/4 APO-Telyt-R is renowned as perhaps the best performing telephoto lens of any brand ever made so it should produce outstanding results for you as mine does for me.

If the filter is in place and your shutter speed is fast enough to rule out motion blur then I'd suspect that one of the lens elements might be out of alignment, which can happen with any lens if it's accidentally bumped or dropped, and I advise sending it back to Wetzlar for a CLA (clean, lubricate, and adjustment) to put it right.  I think the charge for doing this will be worthwhile whether you keep the lens or 'transform' it because selling a lens with a defect will seriously affect its price.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

thank you for your comment.

To be clear: The filter is in place and I can get sharp images. But only using a tripod etc. - And focussing with my 5D III is somewhat difficult. Not impossible.

But I think that I will never carry around that lens in the hope to get some good sea gull shots for example.

I could send the lens to Wetzlar for a checkup, together with another one which most probably needs some lubrication.

Here is a picture of a sea gull I took approx. two weeks ago. (Using a 70-200/4.0 IS from Canon), I am sure that I will never be able to do similar with the APO-Telyt:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!