APO Telyt 280 f/4 - R prices

M9reno

Here is a quick comparison between the 280/4 and the 280/2.8.

Both shot at f5.6 and 1/24sec. Heavy Manfroto tripod, same color balance, no sliders moved. I shot a dozen shots from each lens and picked the sharpest. I used 12sec delay. ISO 200. First the full frame and then a 200% crop of the center:

[ATTACH]482718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]482719[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]482720[/ATTACH]

For me they are very close to each other. Or which one is the APO 4x280?

It looks to me, that there is a little, shake upwards, which could be, if you have not liftet the mirror beforehand at this speed.

This could happen even with a heavy tripod.

See my Pictures above with mirror liftet beforehand.

regards Peter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a quick comparison between the 280/4 and the 280/2.8.

Both shot at f5.6 and 1/24sec. Heavy Manfroto tripod, same color balance, no sliders moved. I shot a dozen shots from each lens and picked the sharpest. I used 12sec delay. ISO 200. First the full frame and then a 200% crop of the center:

If you have to stop down a Apo-telyt lens under this relatively good light condition, and this even on a big sensor with big Pixel size, something is wrong! :eek:

1/24sec - If your camera produce Vibrations, no Tripod can save the Image! The first crop probably shows motion blure , but possible a misalignment of the lens, although from my experience misalignment looks little bit different, more like the examples of the unsharp 4/400mm Modul, :(

200% crop of the Center - what does it mean? you made 4 Pixel out of one? :confused:

Edited by Markstade
möchte mich etwas vorsichtiger äußern

Are high prices for the rare Apo-Telyt´s justified?

Just an example,taken from a 1080p video:

Leica Apo-Telyt 2.8 / 400mm premodul @ f2.8 + 1.4x TC + 2x TC ( f8/1100mm ) and 10 x crop (GH3, 5x crop and 2x digital zoom) representing 11 000mm on a Full HD Monitor at 1:1 pixel, (enlargement 2x times to the full HD screen represents viewing angel of 22 000mm).

Misalignment: 1 line (Leica tolerance: 3 lines, average: 2 lines)

Resolution without TC @ 2.8: about 500-550 LP/mm, I think: Designed for very high resolution and extremely neutral colours, but looks soft at close distance. The 2.8/280mm is a very similar design, that's, why it looks not so crisp.

My 2.8/400mm Module even better (0.5 lines) looks extremely sharp, but resolution I estimate only about 400 LP/mm. Haven't tested it so far (my opinion: different design, different glass, made for very high contrast, tends to CA in the out of focus areas)

2 "never sell" lenses!

My 4/280mm and 2.8/100mm are very good, the 2/180mm is spectacular, except close distance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

What I wanted to say: If you get a good copy (unfortunately not all are optically perfect), the Leica R Apos perform at the edge of physical law, even with extenders, can almost not be improved, will remain very rare and preserve a very high value, as long there is someone, who can maintain them.

I picked up an excellent example last April after spending the better part of a year searching for the right combination of condition and price. I spent US$5700, which was about 10% under what the seller was asking, but about 10% more than I originally thought I'd have to pay. Like the other lenses I own, it was bought for a specific purpose (a planned trip to Namibia) and I've been working through the learning curve of using a lens of this focal length after years at mostly 35 or 50mm. Two early shots are attached - It's been hard for me to take it off the M240 ever since...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Can you please elaborate. Were there any known issues? What should one watch for when buying an APO Telyt 280 f/4 ?

My opinion!

These lenses were made for Film and FF! These lenses are now between 10 and 30 years old. Oil issues are just normal! And sometimes, accidents happen! I recently saw a f4/560mm with broken handle on ebay, this one must have been dropped badly.

I know from another 2.8/400mm Head, with was dropped and damaged beyond repair!:eek:

The given tolerances do not necessarily apply for tiny difficult electronic sensors, like my GH4 with pixel pitch of 0,0037mm and inferior Image processing in comparison with Leica Cameras !

I bought 7 lenses on ebay in the last 3 years, the two 280mm had in my opinion a significant misalignment, but possibly still at the edge of the tolerance, because no confirmation from Leica about that!

4 had issues with oil (but only one needed to be cleaned because the aperture did not close and the focus did not work reliable )

After overhaul both misaligned 280mm were very good, but I had to stress the misalignment in the repair order ! The 2.8/280mm had, apart from a misalignment, lots of scratches inside: Difficult to believe this happened during production! The lens was really very good after overhaul, but I gave it back because the scratches inside.

The 6 from private all were advertised as "very good condition", only the professional seller said: some oil on the blades. Only the 2 small, the 60mm and 100mm were without issues.

I now would buy only from a seller with a trustable return policy (high price), or pick it up by myself, which requires good knowledge and experience or get it cheap on ebay, so there will be remaining budget for a possible necessary complete overhaul! (600+ €)

But if you finally got your copy without issues, it is a joy for decades!;)

The 4/280 is very good from 1 m (with macro adapter) to infinity, it works very well with apo-extenders, if the extender matches good with the lens. With good matching 1,4x TC you maintain full quality, under good light condition no need to stop down, especially if you want maintain the bokeh.

It is my favourite for little animals at short distance between 1 - 5 m , perfect for dragon fly, lizard , birds ... but also perfect for larger animals at medium distances.

• Like 2

Can you please elaborate. Were there any known issues? What should one watch for when buying an APO Telyt 280 f/4 ?

With the 280/4 APO, the only problem I know of is sticky aperture blades. My older sample requires a CLA every two years. I have not had the newer sample for two years yet. I have not had any problems with them otherwise.

• Like 1

My response too, and not one I was expecting. I am also looking forward to John's comparison of the 560mm f/5.6 Modular APO and the 280mm f/4 APO + 2x APO extender.

I have noticed a small loss of image quality using the 2x APO extender with the 280/4 so I will be surprised if the 560/5.6 Modular doesn't show more detail (and it has a 1-stop advantage) but I was not expecting the results of the 400mm comparison so I might be surprised again.

The 560/4 at its worst aperture (f4) is better than the 280/4+2x APO at its best (f5.6, so f11 for exposure).... All on M(240)

Leica 280/4 + 2x APO vs 560/4

john

• Like 5

The 560/4 at its worst aperture (f4) is better than the 280/4+2x APO at its best (f5.6, so f11 for exposure).... All on M(240)

Leica 280/4 + 2x APO vs 560/4

john

I have the impression, seeing condition during all test shoots were not that good. Even the best optic only can shine, if the air is clear. Shorter distance, cloudy quite day or very early morning might bring better results.

It seems, your 400mm head matches good with the 1.4x focus module, the 1.4x TC good with your 280mm.

There was a slight heat haze, but the same for both. My main interest is fitting them to a S2 so Mamiya 645 300/2.8 APO, 280/4+1.4x (effectively a 400/5.6) and 560/4 (or Mamiya with 2x) keeps me covered in the focal lengths Leica do not provide.

john

Edited by chiaroscuro_NZ

Hi for what its worth I bought mine in 2010 in Korea in excellent condition, case but no box for about NZ$2800 (approx US$2100). Managed to get a perfect circ polariser in 2012 for EU$100: icing on the cake! Agreat lens as we all know, breathtaking on an A7R, and maybe the new Canon 5Ds to come!

You are one lucky dude.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I found the 400/4 result from chiaroscuro_NZ too bad to be true, even if its calibrated and CLA - even at 100% it shouldn't be THAT bad, should it?? eek!

The 280 + 1.4 and 2x results are actually believable, in which 1.4x match 280 better than 2x. I had personally experience with AME100 + 2x to produce better looking image in some light conditions compare to bare lens, even though it is physically impossible.

Eventhough we should take MTF as grand of salt, but having 560/4 looks better than 400/4 even if its different camera bodies and different compositions/magnifications, still makes me wonder if there's other reasons.

Edited by Mantice