Leica M 240: It's serious drawbacks for landscape shooters – but can we fix it?

Tmuussoni

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A rangefinder is hardly the best tool for long bulb exposures and the M240 is closer to the end than the beginning of its life so there is little chance that a firmware update adds new features that were not chosen by Leica three years ago IMHO.

Really?  :huh:

The history of the rangefinder also includes the M7....Which will count down from 16 minutes and apart from that has a real 'B' mode.

In fact what the OP needs in my view is an M7; it would serve him very well until the limitations of digital are solved  :D

Really?  :huh:

The history of the rangefinder also includes the M7....Which will count down from 16 minutes

Sixteen minutes? Are you sure?

Sorry, you are right. In Manual mode it's 999 seconds.

(And forever on Bulb)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Neither is medium format (MF). By MF I mean at least 56mm X * were X is 56 to 120mm.

I will still take a digital Leica over a MF film body for landscape. There is a lot more flexibility for editing and perfecting the photo in post. Which is a lot more important than the general image resolution.

• Like 1

I will still take a digital Leica over a MF film body for landscape. There is a lot more flexibility for editing and perfecting the photo in post. Which is a lot more important than the general image resolution.

It is good that we have many choices.

• Like 1

A perfectly valid viewpoint.

I sometimes do both: analogue film, and then scan and work digital post production on certain shots.

Best of both worlds so to speak.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Image resolution issue can be solved my stitching (in many cases). I have taken 100+megapixel landscape picture by using stitched shots from 90mm lens. Digital allows me to do that.

I just need a big enough empty wall in my house to display details. :)

35mm Lux - 8 seconds @1600 ISO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Leica rangefinder isn't for everyone or everything. Nevertheless, I find its positives far outweigh the negatives. I shoot almost entirely landscapes and have never felt my creativity was hampered. I actually save time with most shots since the M is so easy to set hyperfocal distance. Perhaps my 40+ years with Leica gear has influenced my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I just now checked again to make sure I was not smoking something when I gave the steps. I also noticed that you need to be in B mode which was missing in prev steps. This is what I did:

- Set B mode on shutter dial

- Auto ISO mode with max ISO 3200.

- Simulate night sky by putting cap on the lens.

- 10 second delay timer. Press the shutter and check the EXIF. Mine showed ISO 800 and 60 sec. For me it is repeatable. :)

(note: my firmware is 2.0.1.5)

Worked for me. Thanks. :)

Hello all :)

A few months back I finally fulfilled my dream and got myself the M 240. The digital Leica M body I always have wanted. So far it's been stunning experience and I love shooting with it. M 240 and SEM 21 are particularly a special combo together. What the M has brought me for the first time I truly enjoy shooting street photography.

However, I have always enjoyed landscape shooting the most. I was aware of the drawbacks of M 240 when I purchased it. If you don't know what I am talking about I mean the following problems:

- One minute maximum exposure = It's a disgrace to even call it bulb mode

- No way to turn off LENR (Long exposure noise reduction) = practical disadvantage: try shooting fireworks when the guy next to you is going to get twice as many shots as you are

- Long exposure with high ISO is even more limited = astrophotography is impossible

- Inability to move the focus point on live view when zoomed in

It seems that you are asking the 240 to do something it isn't meant to do-long exposures. It's a bit like complaining that a hammer isn't a power drill. I've shot landscapes for 40 years with M Leicas, including the 240. Never a problem and the photos are as good as I can make them. The camera never held me back. Now, I don't take long exposures and you do. 

Perhaps another body that can is the answer for you. 

But it isn't the camera's fault.

I have done landscapes with many different cameras over the years from heavy Lindhof's on sturdy tripods to Hassy's and of course the Leica's. If I need to take a very long exposure with the use of a heavy tripod anyway I would use one of the larger cameras more suited to that. The joy of the Leica is that it is light, small, has great optics and always with me. It does not do everything well but many things wonderfully. I don't use my sedan to haul fertilizer.

Edited by JOCO34
  • Like 1

I haven't read all the replies here but must say that the title is highly misleading. "Leica M 240: It's [sic] serious drawbacks for landscape shooters – but can we fix it?"

​The perceived serious drawbacks turn out to be those for astrophotographers and those requiring very long exposures of more than 1min only. What percentage of landscape pictures does that account for? For me, zero.

​As for fiddling with manual focus points using the LCD, it's primarily a rangefinder camera. That is what makes it unique  -- or why not choose another camera in the first place? 

I find it incredible anyone would shell out for what is undoubtedly a very expensive photographic tool without doing some basic research. Perhaps posters should take more care to ensure what they are writing is indeed accurate.

• Like 10

• 1 year later...