M8.2 - Firmware 2.024 Update issue?

tpeevski

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all

I've updated my M8 (333xxxx) to 2.024 - and so far, so good. I needed it to recognise my new f2.4 35mm Summarit given that Leica recommends using coded (hence recognised) lenses for 16-35 mm with UV/IR cut filters.

Something I noticed in the first batch of DNGs from testing the combination is that they don't seem to carry the new Summarit f2.4 lens type in the EXIF data (e.g. as revealed in 'File info' in Photoshop Elements), so that field is blank, though they do correctly pick up the focal length, maximum aperture and other data, suggesting the lens is being recognised correctly. So I tried a Summarit f2.5 50mm, which I know did reveal its type under 2.014, and lo that lens type still appears correctly under 2.024 too.

Ho hum. It's not a big deal, but it's a curious feature.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my early M8 to 2.024 in order to have possibility for camera to recognise new lens. After upgrade, the files are not written to SD card anymore. I tried different cards with no success. I will try to downgrade to 2.014, wrote personal mail to the colleague dg2mst, but wanted to ask, if somebody knows, if there will be solution from Leica for the bug in 2.024?.I did not find any info on leica.de site.

Thx.

Jaka

I had a similar problem today - the red light would come on for a few seconds when the camera was switched on and then nothing worked. This was strange as I had taken a couple of test shots earlier in preparation for using the camera the next day.

I downloaded 2.014 from the link below, put it on the SD card, still nothing but I discovered the firmware update screen would appear if I pressed the shutter button and held it down (screen went black when the shutter was not being pressed). The firmware would not update due to a low battery, I was able to successfully update by replacing the battery and going through the shutter button pressing routine again - whew!

The problem seems to be related to low battery power. I had fully charged the battery earlier in the day but the camera was put in the bag without switching it off and it appears the shutter button was pressed against something in the bag. 

Posting this here in the hope it will help someone.

Firmware link - 

http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-164220.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I am a French Leicaiste.

Yesterday I installed the 2024 update and I have exactly the same problems as those described in this forum: trouble-free installation of the update, unable to save photos and unable to reinstall an earlier version as 2014 or 2005.

Comparing my old version installed, the 2005, with the new 2024 I noticed that lack a command line in the new version.

In version 2005 there is the command line: Blackfin V2.60R (380) (LDPHIAF) January 16, 2008.

In 2024 the installed version, in the same place I find the message: No BlackFin Version available !!!!

This would be the cause of the malfunction, the BlackFin would be in connection with a converter for recording to memory cards.

Have you solved your problem?

If so can you tell me how? Back Germany at Leica?

This is a Google translation. Sorry

Pictures concerning the 2.024 update

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica did it for the Super-Elmar 21/3.4 in 2011 (FW 2.014) and for Summicron 50/2 apo, Summarit 35/2.4, 50/2.4, 75/2.4 & 90/2.4 in 2014 (FW 2.024), so they should do it again for the Summilux 28/1.4 i'd expect but i have no first hand info about that.

• 11 months later...

I have had similar issues with 2.024 on my early M8 (SN 310XXXX) and have successfully downgraded back to 2.014. If you need help doing so, please feel free to contact me.

As of today I am aware of four similar cases. In every instance the camera would seemingly work as it should, except that when taking a photograph, the memory card would not stop flashing and no file would be recorded.

It'd be great to get the details on how to downgrade. I've had a similar problem with the slow processing time, since upgrading my m8.2 to ver 2.024. 

None of the leica sites list the previous firmware versions- 2.014.

Thanks! 

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone, 

My first post, I wish it was under different circumstances :) 

The same "flashing light after update to 02.024 happened to me today on my M8.2

Has anyone found a solution to this ?

The older firmware file 02.014 when placed onto the SD card does not seem to be read by the camera when turned on. 

Any suggestions or help would appreciated. 

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I have no personal experience with this problem so take what i say with a pinch of salt but i know what i would do:
1/ Make sure that your battery is completely charged. Choose another card and format it with SD Formatter. Copy the "m8-2_024.upd" file to it, switch the camera off, insert the card in it and try to redo the firmware update.
2/ If this does not work, format again the card with SD Formatter. Copy the "m8-2_014.upd" file to it, switch the camera off, insert the card in it and try this earlier firmware update.
Touching wood for you ;)

Welcome to the forum.

I have no personal experience with this problem so take what i say with a pinch of salt but i know what i would do:
1/ Make sure that your battery is completely charged. Choose another card and format it with SD Formatter. Copy the "m8-2_024.upd" file to it, switch the camera off, insert the card in it and try to redo the firmware update.
2/ If this does not work, format again the card with SD Formatter. Copy the "m8-2_014.upd" file to it, switch the camera off, insert the card in it and try this earlier firmware update.
Touching wood for you ;)

Hey Ict, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I have done all those things. Full battery, formatted cards. 

The problem is the camera does not seem to see nor will run the m8-2.014.upd when booted from it from the sd card. I did the formatting and the necessary steps. The camera had never ever displayed such behaviour before until yesterday when like an idiot I decided to upgrade its firmware. 

I see online that I am amongst many who have experienced this problem, however there is no documented solution that I can find to resolve it.  

To make matters even more interesting my other M8 did not show this problem when upgrading or reverting.  

The other M8 ( first original version ) reverted beautifully to the older m8-2.014.upd firmware. So basically it allowed to revert with no issues. 

So my technique and procedure must be correct since it worked on one of them. 

I would a greatly appreciate more feedback from other users who may have dealt with the revert back to 2.014. 

Maybe there is a different version of the same firmware file, one that is read by the M8.2 without trouble? Because the m8 and the m8.2 don't seem to be that similar inside as one might think. This is based on my findings having two on my desk and failing the procedure on one and passing on the other. 

thank you !

[...] Maybe there is a different version of the same firmware file, one that is read by the M8.2 without trouble? [...]

I'm afraid not. We all got the same firmware files, including M8.2 users like yours truly.   

Edited by lct

I am really pulling my hair over here ..:( 7 years no issue, nothing. Yesterday I decide to upgrade to a before mentioned firmware and the thing becomes a brick.. 

Would any of you have any firmware versions before 02.005 ?

I tried all the ones that came after and the camera simply does not react to having them on the SD card and booting from it. 

I can reinstall the current one ( 02.024 ) as many times as i would like ( the camera boots with it from SD with no problem ) but the red light flashing reappears right after first photo gets taken. As if it was getting stuck on writing onto the SD card

Anyone ?

thank you. 

.... the red light flashing reappears right after first photo gets taken. As if it was getting stuck on writing onto the SD card. ...

Your symptom sounds exactly as if it was stuck writing onto the SD card. Have you tried writing to another card? Have you looked at the contacts of both card and camera? Have you freshly formatted the card?

Your symptom sounds exactly as if it was stuck writing onto the SD card. Have you tried writing to another card? Have you looked at the contacts of both card and camera? Have you freshly formatted the card?

I find it very unlikely that having just upgraded the recent firmware the contacts got dirty :) It had never shown any writing to card issues, always worked like a charm. Never ever had I had any such issues. But right after the upgrade last night, the first shot I take it gets stuck on blinking and goes on in such state until I remove the battery. 

It is exactly the same scenario as described by others troubled users above. 

I have tried many cards, different brands, all kinds :(

thanks agan

Edited by sixteen pads