M8.2 - Firmware 2.024 Update issue?

tpeevski

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to all Leica users.

This is my first post about my Leica M8.2 and the first issue with it. I've bought it on ebay in september 2014 and it has 4,500 shutter clicks. Now it shows almost 7 thousand and it still looks like new. 10 days ago I've decided to update the firmware to 2.024. The update was successful(now it shows firmware 2.024) and I am not completely sure that the problem comes from this, but now, when I try to make a picture, the red light starts blinking like it 'writes' to the sd card but nothing happens. Even when I switch off the camera the blinking continues and I have to take the battery out in order for the blinking to stop. Is there a way to reset the camera in some way, or does anybody have any advice. It's strange because everything else works fine - it can take pictures, you can enter any of the menus and submenus... I'll be grateful if someone can help. Thank you all!

I have had similar issues with 2.024 on my early M8 (SN 310XXXX) and have successfully downgraded back to 2.014. If you need help doing so, please feel free to contact me.

As of today I am aware of four similar cases. In every instance the camera would seemingly work as it should, except that when taking a photograph, the memory card would not stop flashing and no file would be recorded.

Hi there.

Thanks for the replies. I've found a 2.014 firmware online after a search and tried to downgrade but it looks that the M8.2 refuses to 'read' that firmware. I've followed the instructions for the firmware update (as I did with the 2.024) but nothing happens. Probably I am doing something wrong... Any suggestions on how to downgrade?

Thank you for your time.

[...] when I try to make a picture, the red light starts blinking like it 'writes' to the sd card but nothing happens. [...] everything else works fine - it can take pictures, you can enter any of the menus and submenus [...]

Welcome to the forum :). What do you mean by "nothing happens" if i may ask? I can't seem to understand what your problem is exactly sorry. If you can take pictures and enter menus is it just the blinking lights which bother you? Just curious.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. Probably I did not explained the problem correctly. By 'nothing happens' I mean that when you press the shutter-release button, the shutter clicks like it takes a picture but that is not happening, the display remains dark and you can see only the blinking red light. When you switch off the camera, the red light continues to blink. And when you check the sd card - there are no pictures inside. So, the shutter clicks but no pictures are being recorded to the card (I've tried more than 5 different sd cards - brands and storage capacity).

• Like 1

...10 days ago I've decided to update the firmware to 2.024. The update was successful(now it shows firmware 2.024) and I am not completely sure that the problem comes from this, but now, when I try to make a picture, the red light starts blinking like it 'writes' to the sd card but nothing happens.

Before updating the firmware myself I was aware that this had happened to some M8's and so I did an on-line search to see what the problem was. It seemed to affect some early M8's but yours is the first time I've read of it happening with an 8.2.

The following text is a translation of the first item I read which mentioned the problem as posted in the German section of the forum on the 20th Dec last (apologies in advance to dg2mst - see post #5, above - for google's mashed translation of this, his earlier post!);

"After a successful update an image was recorded on a memory card no more. The settings were reset naturally. I tested it with multiple cards and DNG and JPEG. The maps were doing formatted in the camera and the PC, which made no difference. The red LED has just hingeblinkt permanently on. Interestingly, the camera view previously made pictures to another memory card and easily enlarge."

Later on he states that returning to the previous firmware sorted out the problem in his case. If it were me I'd persevere in trying to get your camera to 'read' the older version. He, like you, experienced the problems with several different SD cards so the cards don't seem to be the issue.

Have you contacted Leica about this? They might be able to sort out the problem over the phone? Just a thought.

FWIW I uploaded the 2.024 version on my 8.2 without encountering the problems you and others have faced. The serial # of my body is 35564XX.

Best of luck in getting it corrected. Could you keep us informed of developments, please?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

I uploaded the 2.024 version on my 8.2 without encountering the problems you and others have faced. The serial # of my body is 35564XX.

Best of luck in getting it corrected. Could you keep us informed of developments, please?

Philip.

First, thank you for your response. My M8.2 serial number also begins with 355. The strange thing is that now, it refuses to read the 2.014 firmware file that I've downloaded (also used the one that dg2mst send me). But when I put the 2.024 upd file on the card again - the same message about the 'update the firmware to version 2.024'. I don't know if that's normal, once it was upgraded to that firmware already. Obviosly, I'll have to contact Leica about this. If only there was a natural way for a user reboot or reset to a previous firmwares....

The bitter irony is that it is utterly unnecessary to update the firmware. It only adds the new Summarit lenses to the lens recognition register, that is all. As long as you do not buy one of these lenses, you don't need it....

My fixed rule for all electronics is: Don't update unless there is a clear benefit. Believe me, I learnt the hard way....

• Like 4

My fixed rule for all electronics is: Don't update unless there is a clear benefit.

+1

And until other users have reported any bugs or concerns.

And, with computers, until I know if other applications are affected (also learned the hard way).

Jeff

I updated my M8 s/n 3111xxxx late last year, 2.024 Firmware.At first everything seemed OK . Just before Xmas I was shooting on rapid 2 of 3 frames at a time, the temperature was 7deg C (45 F) and it just stopped, blank screen and LED about 30 mins later started again.

done this three times now, the latest was today ! So I have re-loaded 2.014 and so far every thing seems OK. every thing is in the same place, and all my settings are as they were.

it could have been the temperature, but i don't think so, it's never done it before.

Could be the SD card ? I have not changed it yet, will continue to use the same card to see if the problem re-occurs.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The firmware 2.024 is buggy. Somehow it does not suit the M8/M8.2 cameras and Leica hasn't warned us about it. Typical. Get rid of it and return to an older firmware. The red light will go on and on and on and it will only stop if you remove the battery.

regards.

• 1 month later...