Choice of high quality film compacts?

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Mark to think of us. :)
Why a compact (295 g for a Contax T2) , when you can have a M RF for 545g M1 or M4 or M4P

(difference 145g) also discreet , with a light Leica lens ? if is a weight problem.
A M ranks right in the pocket of my jacket  :) 

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Why a compact (295 g for a Contax T2) , when you can have a M RF for 545g M1 or M4 or M4P

(difference 145g) also discreet , with a light Leica lens ? if is a weight problem.

A M ranks right in the pocket of my jacket  :)

Not really comparable IMO Henry. Once you add a lens, the M is a considerably heavier and significantly larger camera than a P&S compact like the T2 or T3. I haven't owned a compact camera for many years, and wouldn't swap my M cameras for one now, but I wouldn't consider my film M + 35/F2 combination as any kind of "pocket" camera (even coat pocket :D ).

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Henry,

there is no contest when comparing the weight, size, and portability of a Contax T3 with any Leica M film camera with any 35mm lens.

Furthermore the Contax T lenses are of outstanding quality.

That doesn't make it better, just different. Anyhow, they all use the same 35mm film, don't they?

Mark

Edited by MarkP

The reason why I got a P&S is actually not for the weight... I don't mind carrying my M everywhere I go... but for my everyday 'mondanity' (and I mean my journey to go to work everyday) I thought I would give a go to something a bit more simpler...something I can handle in one hand: switch on, grab the shot, back in the pocket...without needs of focusing etc. Don't get me wrong, I doubt the Contax will replace my M...someday I just don't want to be the guy with the camera strapped around the neck, I just want to be in the crowd with a camera in my pocket ;) camera arrived yesterday I loaded the first film. Excited to see the results!

• Like 1

The reason why I got a P&S is actually not for the weight... I don't mind carrying my M everywhere I go... but for my everyday 'mondanity' (and I mean my journey to go to work everyday) I thought I would give a go to something a bit more simpler...something I can handle in one hand: switch on, grab the shot, back in the pocket...without needs of focusing etc. Don't get me wrong, I doubt the Contax will replace my M...someday I just don't want to be the guy with the camera strapped around the neck, I just want to be in the crowd with a camera in my pocket ;) camera arrived yesterday I loaded the first film. Excited to see the results!

Agreed.

Not really comparable IMO Henry. Once you add a lens, the M is a considerably heavier and significantly larger camera than a P&S compact like the T2 or T3. I haven't owned a compact camera for many years, and wouldn't swap my M cameras for one now, but I wouldn't consider my film M + 35/F2 combination as any kind of "pocket" camera (even coat pocket :D ).

I understand now your point of view  Ian and Mark

I just see one Leica CL on ebay for 300 Euros less expensive than M  :)

Go for a compact

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apart from the M7 I also have a Leica CL. Lovely little camera when fitted with a 2.0/40 Summicron-C.

But it still isn't the same as  Contax T2 or T3.

You won't convince us otherwise but feel free to keep trying ;-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Compact film camera?

You want one of these..... (try Ebay before Neil sees this post and buys them all ;) ):

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Rainy saturday today in the city, I've had some spare time and I developed the first rolls of Rollei Retro 400s shot with the Contax T2. WOW!!! First time using this film and first time shooting with the Contax, what a gem!

The details of the lens blown me away! Attached one of my favorite shot...highlights are hot but I think I messed up with the scanner?? Will try to rescan it because it looks good on the negative :S