Demise of Foto Riesel in Sydney

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I very nearly bought the Tele-Tessar (I'm assuming it was yours) a few months ago, before deciding to go with a 'fat' Tele Elmarit instead - small world...

I'm sure it was my lens.

Indeed it is a small world.

Are you happy with the Tele-Elmarit?

Im sorry to hear about your situation Mark, I feel like I dodged that bullet when I got thrown around by their staff a year and a half ago.

While this store is a sore point for me a year ago trying to get hold of my Leica M, I am both sad and not surprised that a small business closed down.

That being said, I tried to support a store that had professionals but after a kurt and rude phone call and being attacked on Facebook after I claimed their lack of communication and conflicting information given to me here in these forums I happily buy my gear from other retailers that are both the big stores and the small businesses too.

Im afraid I have little sympathy considering that two of their staff members laughed at me over the phone when I demanded my refund and after I sent the Ombudsman after them for my money. I was then told by a manager that I was wasting Leica-Australia's time when the CEO called them to figure out what happened... and then the CEO apologised and ensured my place in the queue was maintained to ensure I bought a Leica M instead of a Canon1DX

A former employee from Foto Riesel told me that a few years ago that customer service fell slowly on the wayside after owners changed hands - so I wonder, what kind of service did they give before the service I got! Im sure it would have been the Leica experience they promised on their website that I never got.

Now, my "walk-in" Leica store is DigiDirect in Australia which I happily go to in Sydney and I purchase from a country store that happens to sell Leica in Lismore (which is literally a small, old unassuming camera store) who gave me the best experience in the world ever!

That being said, I do remember one guy at Foto Riesel who gave me the best service when I bought my first Digital SLR almost a decade ago - he now works in Kudos Cameras and I highly recommend checking them out.

Edited by Leonil
  • Like 2

Looks like Digi Direct have picked up the Sydney Leica boutique. got an email yesterday. Good. They've been my store of choice in the city for a while now.

Gordon

They've also got an outlet in Bondi Junction which has most of the same stock, without the 'boutique' design.

What I wonder though is why doesn't Sydney have an official Leica Store? A city of nearly 5 million with a very high GDP and many high end industries in finance, legal and high tech etc. Should be more capable to support a Leica store than many places with an official store, like say Vienna or Jakarta. You'd think an area like Pitt Street Mall and Westfield Sydney would suit a Leica store. For that matter, you'd think Melbourne would have an official Leica store too.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1

I very nearly bought the Tele-Tessar (I'm assuming it was yours) a few months ago, before deciding to go with a 'fat' Tele Elmarit instead - small world...

Hey! Is this Nick who posts(ed) on the old mu-43 forums? Don't tell me you moved to the very dark side... You bought my Nokton 25mm 0.95!

Good to see (hear/read) you here!

Gordon

What I wonder though is why doesn't Sydney have an official Leica Store? A city of nearly 5 million with a very high GDP and many high end industries in finance, legal and high tech etc. Should be more capable to support a Leica store than many places with an official store, like say Vienna or Jakarta. You'd think an area like Pitt Street Mall and Westfield Sydney would suit a Leica store. For that matter, you'd think Melbourne would have an official Leica store too.

I live in Queens Park but haven't been into the DigiDirect store in Bondi Junction. I'll check it out when I'm next up there.

However, DigiDirect are about to launch their official Leica Store now they have taken over the old Foto Riesel.

I was invited but I'm all out of GAS at the moment ;).

• 3 weeks later...

It's a sad outcome for FR but I sensed over the last few years that complacency and online competition signaled the death knell. I recall buying my first Leica at FR in 2002 - the place was a hive of activity and expertise. Over the years it dwindled away and on the few occasions I visited in 2014, the store was empty.

• Like 1

They had a bad location, prices higher than anyone else and stocked exclusively low volume high expense gear. (i.e. mainly Leica and Zeiss). Digidirect has a much more realistic business model, with a strong online presence and a mix of Sony, Canon and Nikon in addition to Leica and Zeiss.

I agree about prices. I started buying my gear from CES in Perth after that initial purchase because FR never discounted and we're always more expensive despite being willing to buy in my own home town. Is the film developing side of things still going under new management?

I visited digi direct yesterday and they have a nice small setup. The location is way better on King St and they appeared to have a lot of stock (even the Safari model and that ridiculous LK Relic model). So hopefully they will promote Leica positively and more consistently. I think FR gave up after a while.

• Like 1

It's a sad outcome for FR but I sensed over the last few years that complacency and online competition signaled the death knell. I recall buying my first Leica at FR in 2002 - the place was a hive of activity and expertise. Over the years it dwindled away and on the few occasions I visited in 2014, the store was empty.

I worked at Foto Riesel in 2002......

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Walked up Queen Street at lunchtime and was surprised to see Camera & Camera had gone into liquidation, leaving a very large hole and a blast of cold air for their suppliers (Nikon, Canon, Sony etc and ... Leica) - tough times.

As we all speculate about camera manufacturers being in trouble with the falling interest in dSLR cameras and the moribund compact sector, spare a thought for the local retailer who has provided you with service, advice, bits and pieces you might need.  It's a very difficult place to be right now.

• Like 1

It makes you wonder where all of this is headed. Our local camera shops have been doing it tough for years... Is it the "iPhone effect"?

So aside from mobile phone cams what's changed? Online sales? It must be depressing to see your business fail after so many years of hard work!

Edited by sc_rufctr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It makes you wonder where all of this is headed. Our local camera shops have been doing it tough for years... Is it the "iPhone effect"?

So aside from mobile phone cams what's changed? Online sales? It must be depressing to see your business fail after so many years of hard work!

The point and shoot market has gone thanks to the iPhone. The other factor is online imports from Hong Kong etc, it is possible to find lower prices online. Although at the moment the difference is quite small.

However, Georges and Digidirect in the city always seem to be doing great business. The shops are full of people with lots of purchases happening. I think things will be okay, people are going to continue to buy high end cameras for professional and enthusiast use.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1