In defence of the CCD sensor in the Leica M Cameras

mikeleng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica M-E and 75mm Summarit.

—Peter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

• Like 4

Leica M9P CCD sensor, sorry to keep the thread alive .

regards

Mike

• Like 3

MM + 35 mm Lux FLE

• Like 4

With appropriate exposure, the CCD works well in B&W as long as the scene brightness range is within the M9's sensor range. Over all, it is great for quick snapshots.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9 CCD sensor system really can work well on dull overcast evenings and still bring some "pop" to the image. This was taken while I was sitting in a downtown Starbucks and noticed a lady with nice legs ... and I shot through the dirty window as she passed! Humm... Red Shoe Diaries. All that was needed in the image is an increase in contrast....

I am not always happy with how the M9 auto-exposure works ... but so many grab images are shot when you don't have time to set up the camera and focus in a contemplative way - particularly when the 75mm lens is wide open ! I obviously missed the focus point by at least 0.5 m. Of the two frames taken, one was at the actual focus point (the big black blob) but did not work well as this one slightly out of focus one step later..

Edited by TonyField
  • Like 5

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

P.S. Highlights have never been a problem.It's always the shadows that limit the usability for fine reportage work.

So,...

.... I always had high hopes that lenshacker and arvid would team up and find a remedy ( RAW converter ) against the ccd sensor lines that start creeping into the shadows once you go past ISO 160 EV -1.33.

That said and loving my old M8s and M9s ... I would buy a M10 the moment they switch back to optical frame lines ... 

• Like 1

Exif tells a slightly different story ... althought it looks reminiscent of the 35/2 IV @ f2/0

Edited by Mark Ebert

I posted in M8 pictures thread, but I couldn't find M9 pictures thread, BTW.

One thing which might be not so obvious on the internet pictures. It was growing on me since I get M-E in October 2016 and today it finally formulated in my head :). I never been pixel peeping person with CMOS sensors and I've had couple of FF CMOS cameras before getting M-E. With CMOS if zoomed 100% most often I see pixels. And it is just digital representation. With M9 and even M8 I'm finding it to be much more interesting and  worth of looking at the image in 100% zoom. On good monitor and powerful graphic card, of course, not just at iPad, Retina display, which saturate and over contrast any picture :) .

So, with M9 sensor at 100% zoom I'm finding it to be very different comparing to CMOS. I used FF CMOS camera with very sharp, modern macro lens and still at 100% zoom it was array of pixels. With M9 CCD if zoomed in, it is giving solid, un-pixelated image details. It feels like it could be zoomed to another 100% before pixels will start to show up. I don't think it is as simple as removing on AA filter, but CCD rendering most.    

• Like 2

I've not looked deeply into the CCD vs CMOS images, but know that the images from my Leica M9 usually has a quality I appreciate more than what I was getting over my full frame (CMOS) DSLR. I always attributed it to not having an AA filter and Leica (plus some Voitlander) lens quality.

30230541773_1eef2cec5b_c.jpg

Beco do Arco Escuro

Leica M9, Noctilux f/1

• Like 2

I've written an "Open Letter to Leica" asking for an updated CCD sensor in a future M camera (it currently has over 350 signatures):

An open letter to Leica… | Photographs by Peter

I'll gladly contribute to this thread.

—Peter.

-

-

-

I added my name to this list.  I'm still loving my Monochrom.  I recently sold my Canon gear to purchase a Leica Sony A7RII which can produce stunning images, but still, not quite the same quality of my Monochrom CCD version Leica, it's missing that magical element.  I would love to have the Monochrom sensor on the Sony.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I added my name to this list.  I'm still loving my Monochrom.  I recently sold my Canon gear to purchase a Leica Sony A7RII which can produce stunning images, but still, not quite the same quality of my Monochrom CCD version Leica, it's missing that magical element.  I would love to have the Monochrom sensor on the Sony.

Dear Wilfredo,

Thank you very much for adding your name. People still continue to sign my letter, and I continue to photograph exclusively (for digital) with several of my M9 bodies. I will keep doing so until I have none left, and then.... who knows?

Peter.