MP or M-A?

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

, I sold my M8 for the M9, then sold that for a 240 -- but didn't like it and never bought it -- so got an MP. Sold that and got a Nikon FM3a to get an A-priority. But I kept my Summilux 50/1.4 throughout this time and missed it immensely, so then did an about-face and considered using a light meter and an M-A. So far so good.

Of course I realize now that I should have kept the MP, but going from point A to point B isn't always a straight line...

wow, I was dizzy there for a bit

I was very attracted to the M-A but I personally can't judge the light well enough, roughly yes, but not well enough to guarantee all photos. The thought of runining a good composition through my ineptitude put me off. So I went for the M-P. Can't be happer. Its absolutely gorgeous.

If I was super rich or more experienced I would buy a M-A as well for days of challenge, but the MP will do for now ....

I was very attracted to the M-A but I personally can't judge the light well enough, roughly yes, but not well enough to guarantee all photos. The thought of runining a good composition through my ineptitude put me off. So I went for the M-P. Can't be happer. Its absolutely gorgeous.

If I was super rich or more experienced I would buy a M-A as well for days of challenge, but the MP will do for now ....

I started off in photography, back in the 1950s, with a Kodak Autographic Brownie (120) and no light meter. I still have my negatives and most are pretty good. A built in meter is a great advance and I love my M7 and M6TTL but I am deremined to give the M-A a go later this year. I use a M2 with hand held meter quite a bit and find it no problem so we shall see :) . 

• 2 weeks later...

M-A or MP? Not a bad dilemma, is it! This is one of those peculiar questions that can be agonised over, mulled, chewed, digested and regurgitated indefinitely until the inevitable spur-of-the-moment decision is made to opt for one or the other.

One thing that can be guaranteed is that after a period of ownership, journeys, experiences and images created, there will be a bond  between the user and the camera that, for myself at least, cannot be made with any digital camera. I can't honestly say which option I would take, now there is a choice.  I do know that my decision would be made at the dealer's counter and it would be spontaneous. I also know that I would never feel that I should have chosen the other instead.

Go to a dealer, try both side by side, make a decision and be a photographer.  All on the same day.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thats a really hard on to decide... 

I havent slept well for at least 5 days now. Just can't decide if i should spend 1000 Bucks more for a New M-A than for a 2nd hand MP ...  

but the black chrome M-A looks sooo nice...

If you want (need ?) a brand new camera just for yourself who use it first hand, M-A is for you.

Then you would see or feel differences M-A or MP by using the new M-A.

If you choose MP second hand, you (maybe) would not see/feel those subtil differences.

Then you (maybe) would regret not to having choosen an new M-A.

Choosing an M-A is not by "reasoning", but may I say is "with your heart/feeling".

Nothing wrong with that (or maybe 1000 bucks more), if you can afford.

Arnaud

Forget the money for a moment, because you can spend less and get a black paint M4. (I own the M-A, for the purpose of full disclosure). The real issue is whether you will be happy with a absolute manual camera -- that is no meter inside. It can slow you down at times, and make you think before shooting. Up to you as to which fulfills the photo taking experience you want. Personally I believe this is the question you need to answer first. You can always get the M4 for less and sell it for about what you paid as a test run -- or just rent an MA and/or an MP for a day or two and see. Then the right decision for you will be revealed to you.

Thank you for your help sblitz and a.noctilux. 

I had a nice M6 (Which i sold to buy the new camera) and still have a beautiful M2, so the question if i can handle a meterless Leica is already answered. I can. 

I shoot 3 rolls of Black and white film without a meter in different lighting situations the last few days and most of the frames were exposed to my liking. 

While Shooting with an M for its all about the fun, and about making handcrafted images in my darkroom. If they're not perfect its more than ok. 

Sometimes an image is even better slightly over/underexposed or a little bit blurred. It think it fits my style. I value the composition and the story that an image tells much more than it's technical perfection. I noticed if i don't have to care about the exposure while looking through the finder i can concentrate on the subject much better.

End of the Story: I ordered a new M-A today from the Leica Store Vienna. :)

If i have really critical work to do (for example Weddings, i always can buy myself an M6, or use a cheaper SLR-System like my Nikon F with a 50$ Nikkor AI-S 50mm f1.8).

I'm really looking forward to using the hell out of the M-A.

19318495588_2b6054d61c.jpg

AA004 by Marcel Gladbach, auf Flickr

An imperfect image but i still like it.

Edited by marcelgladbach
  • Like 2

Marcel,

I hope that with your new M-A would begin a new kind of imperfect images that you like.

So that is a "start of..." something special.

Myself, I forgot how nice could be a brand new all mecanical Leica M.

After using some M for a couple of decades, I have used only after sometime "used M" (... by myself or by somebody else).

They had CLA when need be.

For me, my dream came true with M-A.

Some links that people talk about M-A :

http://www.35mmc.com/19/04/2015/leica-m-a/

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149875

Have fun.

Arnaud

• Like 1

Can't over emphasize the simplicity of the shutter release and the feeling of "oneness" it shares with the user.Am talking from a lowly M4-2 point of view where the added plus of simple frame lines have left my M6 shiny and new.

• Like 1