MP or M-A?

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, neutral too, at best ambivalent. I only think it's a whole lot of money for a camera that shouldn't need a warranty

Yes, the price. Hard to argue around that; either you do it or you don't. Everyone has their own metric. The gray market is e.g. for Nikon, a sort of barometer for the value people put on the warranty. It's probably a big plus for Leica to have it knowing only a very small number of cameras will ever need free-of-charge servicing. Leica might be a niche but they've mastered it, and handling any Leica, new or used, is pretty dangerous. :D

thanks,

s-a

• Like 1

I bought a new MP when they first came out and it broke down on me a few months later. A factory warranty was a good thing at the time. I've since sold the camera. But all my other film Leicas have been purchased used and long out of warranty. Nothing has gone wrong with those cameras and they have been only routinely serviced by DAG in the meantime.

I'm not so sure I'd actually want a new film Leica. I'm okay with used when purchased wisely. For about the same $$ (or less) as a new M-A, one can buy either an excellent specimen of a black chrome M4 or a black paint M4. A full service on the M4 from DAG is $325. I spent $435 on my M4 (that I had bought used from Tamarkin years ago), which included an overhaul, the 90 and 135 frame lines masked out, and a M3 style lens lock guard.

Personally I'm feeling okay without a factory warranty on a Leica film camera these days. Again, careful buying and having one checked out while on a return policy makes me pretty comfortable buying used.... at least while there are great independent Leica techs still around. If I ever have the money (or the real need) to even think about the M-A, I'll likely look first at some mint specimen M4s. One forum member (Pico) says he's going to sell a 'never used and still in the box' black paint M4. I wonder what he wants for it. :)

• Like 1

Indoors the metering LEDs can be quite distracting. I have on occasion removed the battery from my M6s.

The M6/MP meter circuit can rundown unexpectedly depending on how the camera lies in your bag; it does not take much pressure to activate the meter. Remembering to turn the shutter dial to B/OFF is a pain.

I agree, the red LEDs are distracting. There is of course one M that has a meter and no LEDs, the M5. I have an M5 and it is just so well thought out by those Leica engineers all those years ago. The spot meter is perfect for slide film. The spot meter can be left continuously on for a year or more and will not finish a new battery (Leica say in the manual not to worry if it is on or off).

The M-A is great, I love it, but not as much as my M3! And I also pre-meter by the eye using B+W or colour negative film when using the M3.

• Like 1

I chose the M-A, because I could.

Yes, same here. Like you, I could have have bought 3 good M4 bodies for the same price but I wanted to buy a new camera. I already have a very nice MP so taking the batteries out would have also been a considerably cheaper option but I didn't want to do that either.:)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Battery cover? What battery cover? ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I don't have much to add here, but I went to the Leica store in Los Angeles today to look at an M-A for the first time. Even as a recently former MP owner, I was completely smitten with it. I loved the perfect simplicity of it and the way it felt. I also handled 5 or 6 other Ms for comparison too, but there was no comparison there at all for me, it just felt right. The shutter dial was much easier to turn than the one on my MP too.

I don't know if I'm good enough to go meterless, but I like the idea of being free from constantly tracking the meter as I did with my MP. I don't want to do anything impulsive and then find I'm misjudging a lot of exposures, but I'd hope to improve with time if I get one.

I'll be thinking about this, no doubt, for weeks.

If your experience is anything like mine (with an M3), you will learn to judge exposures quickly and as you say it is a real freedom to be able to judge changing light yourself. I even use my sense of the light now with my handheld computer scanner (oops... digital camera :)). Stick to colour negative or B+W film to start with as they will be much more forgiving. An M-A with a 0.85 finder would be a sweet thing!

• Like 1

From my point of view, the way of choosing a M-A or MP is largely about your usual manner of taking photo if we take the personal preference out of the mind. If you have the experience to take photos by using a light meter or others rather than a internal light meter and also you are willing continually to follow this method for photography, you would like to choose M-A. However, if some of people who started to taking photos from digital era and now went back to film camera, these people, I think, would prefer to have a MP rather than a M-A.

Regarding myself, I was starting to shooting films by using Leica M7 as a newbie a few years ago. Now, I purchased a MP for myself two months ago in Munich, Germany, think it was great purchase and it is the one I will keep for a life time.

Joseph.

Edited by MessiJo
  • Like 2

If your experience is anything like mine (with an M3), you will learn to judge exposures quickly and as you say it is a real freedom to be able to judge changing light yourself. I even use my sense of the light now with my handheld computer scanner (oops... digital camera :)). Stick to colour negative or B+W film to start with as they will be much more forgiving. An M-A with a 0.85 finder would be a sweet thing!

Yes, my favorite lens is my Summilux 50/1.4 asph, and am thinking about maybe waiting until the M-A goes a la carte and order a 0.85, but that could be a while and not even happen (unlikely, though, IMO).

Glad to hear your exposure learning curve was pretty quick...thx.

Yes, my favorite lens is my Summilux 50/1.4 asph, and am thinking about maybe waiting until the M-A goes a la carte and order a 0.85, but that could be a while and not even happen (unlikely, though, IMO).

Glad to hear your exposure learning curve was pretty quick...thx.

Looks like the M-A a la carte is on the way:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/09/leica-announces-m-a-la-carte-program/

• Like 2

Yes, it would make sense for Leica to include the M-A in their à la carte programme – after all, it is essentially the same camera as the MP and uses the same top plate design, etc.

One aspect of the Leica à la carte programme that is quite new and unheralded is that they are now able to tart up existing MP and M7 cameras with new leather, top plate, etc. Redesign Options.

Yes but have you noticed how limited the choices are for the M-A? No choice of frame lines or viewfinder magnification as with the MP and M7 only a choice of which colour leather for the covering ,strap and case.

• Like 1

Yes but have you noticed how limited the choices are for the M-A? No choice of frame lines or viewfinder magnification as with the MP and M7 only a choice of which colour leather for the covering ,strap and case.

Yes, that's too bad. Cosmetics only...not interested.