I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can be a sucker for black paint too (though not so much with lenses which I think look better in black or silver chrome).

Perhaps I should have said prettier? Worn black paint is sexy as hell too, just not in a pretty way ;)

I think my next Leica will be a black paint M4, having two chrome already (M2 and MP).

Still, the chrome M-A is the full modern equivalent of an M2, the prettiest M of them all :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea that a black paint M4 or M2 would become valuable, but I would bet

that neither in original condition would bring in a premium $ so that I could buy

an M10 for the same $. See how it works?

All this stuff about public recognition of the cameras escapes me, perhaps

because I live (and thrive) in other than a big metropolitan city.  I like

it here where nobody gives a sh*t.

Edited by pico

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish they would make a BP M-A!

Pulease! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word on the street is you can get any film M a la carte. I believe the process is that your order on at a Leica store, and then they paint it. I assume you effectively buy a chrome model, and then send it off to be refinished at an extra cost.

I usually prefer black Leicas, especially BP, (even though I have an M6 that is not BP). In the case of the M-A, if I were to ever get one, the chrome would be my choice here. I need to stop looking at this thread...because I do want and don't need an M-A.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

I am a long-time reader here and I have never posted so I thought that is time to write and contribute as well.

Long story short, the M-A is the reason why I have been putting photography theory into creative practice and that is why I love this camera.

Other than following the sunny 16 rule, I use few light meter apps as well and so far almost all my exposures are correct (B&W and C41). 

And yes, I admit: I also thought I did not need an M-A a year ago ;) . Then I understood that having a fresh produced Leica with an almost obsolete technology is a crazy idea and I was almost convinced that I did not want this model. And then I bought it as a back up for my main (back then) camera. Today I use only the M-A.

Nothing wrong with any other film camera of course. They all take pictures in the end and they are just tools for us. But since I have been using the M-A, I have been having the best photographic experience and I have been learning so much theory in so short period like never before. I also like that this model has been built in a digital era, otherwise an M2 or an M4 are almost the same.

Edited by Emtsoh
  • Like 5

Black chrome, just like an M7, no paint :(

If they ever bring out a black paint, I'll be quick to pony up :)

J

aha, so then it doesn't wear down to a different color or finish? 

I don't think so, that's why I'd prefer the chrome for the M-A. If I decide to go MP, it's black paint all day long. I'll likely be sensible and stick with the M6 though. 

Thanks, good thing I am not jazzed about this.  But I will wear the black off one way or the other.  And it will continue to look beautiful no matter what is underneath!

• Like 1

Black chrome, just like an M7, no paint :(

If they ever bring out a black paint, I'll be quick to pony up :)

J

So I thought I'd seen this before, but instead of a la carte, it's called Redesign your M, their website says it's available for any analogue M, and you can choose black paint. So depending on how much you want to pony up, You could wander into a store, order an M-A, then send it off to be redesigned. I wonder what the cost would be...