Is Leica discontinuing the X Vario?

Ecaton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Zurich Leica store is selling the XV for CHF 1690 (new). If you factor in sales taxes in the US that`s about the equivalent of a USD 1600 sticker price. What a bargain considering the lens` quality and what a price collapse for a Leica in such as short time span.

strange pricing policies there in Zürich.

The original price for the X-Vario in black is advertised as 2290 CHF

For the silver version they are calling 3180 CHF

I thought that both cameras were the same price :confused:

The black version is now reduced to 1690 CHF. the silver one only to 2990 CHF

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Don't say such things! They put me into the eternal dilemma:

"Ooh, I could buy a new Leica at a greatly reduced price before they all vanish!"

vs

"Ooh, a new and improved model will be coming out!"

Having said that, there is nothing like that kind of pricing in Australia. Retail was about AUD$3300, the best official stock price is now $2750. A far cry from USD$1600.

Edited by Archiver

Here in Germany the stores are selling the XV still for the official price: EUR 2450.

This price already includes the VAT but with today´s exchanges rates this is the equivalent of USD$ 3062.

Sometimes you can find reduced XV´s but these are showroom models, not regular sold cameras.

Best regards,

René

Pricing is sometimes strange.

In Austria:

X Vario black or silver Leitzpark edition: 2400 €

X Vario black or silver: 2445 €

In Belgium:

X Vario black: 2379 €, at another dealer: 2495 €

UK:

X Vario black or silver: £ 1499 or approx. 1920 €

All prices including VAT in their country.

Best

Auskunft Leica Shop Zürich:

preise für XVaria black und silver sind richtig. die XVario silver wurde in geringer stückzahl produziert und ist aus diesem grunde teurer.

anmerkung: beide XVario's als sonderangebot gekennzeichnet. die schwarze 600 sfr billger, die silberfarbige 700 sfr teurer. möglicherweise in echt Silber ??? :) :)

kmhb

I phoned them and asked why they sell the x vario so cheap and if it is a sould out price.

They told me they don't know exactly but they got a very good offer if they will order many of them....

I asked if the will send one to munich, germany and he said he has to ask his boss for that.

If not, I will think about driving to Zurich on saturday.

It is just 350 km away....:):)

Andi

I phoned them and asked why they sell the x vario so cheap and if it is a sould out price.

They told me they don't know exactly but they got a very good offer if they will order many of them....

I asked if the will send one to munich, germany and he said he has to ask his boss for that.

If not, I will think about driving to Zurich on saturday.

It is just 350 km away....:):)

Andi

Thats 1400€ + half a tank of diesel for me .... hmmmm.

At least three UK premier dealers are listing the XV for £1499 … and one if them shows 'in stock'

Other dealers show price as £1949 - £2150 but c/w accessories … and other dealers do not list the XV at all.

dunk

With the price difference even the airfare to Zurich would be covered;). I noticed recently that UK camera prices are rather high in comparison and despite the significant size of the market.

Dont forget that EU prices, including the UK, have Value Added Tax included (in the UK it's 20%)

If a non-EU resident person buys in the UK and then exports the goods, they can reclaim the VAT on leaving the country. Applies to mail order too.

CHF 1690 includes Swiss VAT at 8% thus price is CHF 1565 before VAT … on import into UK there would be 20% VAT payable … CHF 1565 = approx £1020 plus £204 VAT = £1224 … thus appears to be a good deal compared to discounted £1499 UK dealer price … BUT … in UK Leica dealers offer the Leica Passport which includes 12 months accidental damage cover … and any UK buyer would also have to factor in bank charges for CHF transfer or credit card charges for currency conversion … at the end of the day the 'hiddens' would probably gobble up much of the saving … even assuming a good rate of exchange is possible … and that is an 'unknown' until transaction completed … and then a flight to Zurich might need to be factored in too if deciding to make a personal trip to buy …

The proverbial swings and roundabouts to buy what in effect is a grey import … which probably subject to restricted after-service and certainly lacks UK Leica Passport.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

I would say in advance that the price will go back to a normal price next week.

I visited the Leica-Store in Munich yesterday to ask if there is a special offer there too and they where not amused about what they heard.

So the boss of that store said he will phone to Leica Germany.....

The price in Zürich is not comprehensible and did not reflect the philosophy of Leica to sell of their products in that way.

By the way: I bought the X and not the vario...

I visited the Leica-Store in Munich yesterday to ask if there is a special offer there too and they where not amused about what they heard.

The price in Zürich is not comprehensible and did not reflect the philosophy of Leica to sell of their products in that way.

Oh dear!! :)

dunk

Ever heard of EU antitrust regulations......?