Tri Elmar 28-35-50 opinions

Firefly

I managed to get hold a nice mk 2 MATE last November.  I've been hankering after one for years.  I wish I had bought one new when I had the opportunity, but having 28, 35 and 50mm focal lengths I felt it was an extravagance.

Since having the lens, I haven't used anything else.  The results on my M (240) are very good.  It's now in Germany being coded and I'll miss it while it is away.

The Tri-Elmar is one lens NOT to fiddle with or try a home remedy on. Let the professionals at Leica sort that one out. If a version one it is irreplaceable. If damaged all you could do is get another used one and hope for the best.

Edited by jdlaing

I bought mine new at the time of the M8 launch. I am always careful when selecting a differant focal length due to the complexity of the lens. Several dealers have good examples available in the UK . I would definitely reccomend the lens to anyone interested but only buy from a reputable dealer and negotiate a service at Leica or at least a contribution. 

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Tri-Elmar is one lens NOT to fiddle with or try a home remedy on. Let the professionals at Leica sort that one out. If a version one it is irreplaceable. If damaged all you could do is get another used one and hope for the best.

So are you saying that my V1 might not be repairable? I won't fiddle with it at home for sure, but I would think a mechanical problem should be repairable?

So are you saying that my V1 might not be repairable? I won't fiddle with it at home for sure, but I would think a mechanical problem should be repairable?

It's definitely repairable but I would let Leica do it. I got in the habit of pointing the lens down when changing focal lengths. It works smooth and effortlessly that way.

• Like 2

I think the reference might be to there being no replacement front elements.  

I suspect that a mechanical problem not resulting from a drop or excessive force changing focal lengths would amount to much of a challenge for the factory service department.

If you haven't been doing so anyway, try what JD suggested and point the thing down when changing focal lengths and see if it works that way.  I also found that to work best.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat
  • Like 1

It's now in Germany being coded and I'll miss it while it is away.

Since you're having yours coded, this might be of some small interest.

There was some discussion at one time regarding what the camera was actually doing in regard to corrections with the various focal lengths when coding the Tri Elmar.  I had believed that it wasn't doing much at all until I conducted a small test.

This link http://www.nightstreets.com/trielmarcoding shows the effects photographing an ExpoDisk at all three focal lengths and f4 with the lens detection both on and off for a coded lens Version I lens.

If it asks for a code enter "trielmarcoding" to access the images.

I had expected that it would at most be doing some vignette correction at 28mm, but it appears to do some color correction as well.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat
  • Like 1

Since you're having yours coded, this might be of some small interest.

There was some discussion at one time regarding what the camera was actually doing in regard to corrections with the various focal lengths when coding the Tri Elmar.  I had believed that it wasn't doing much at all until I conducted a small test.

This link http://www.nightstreets.com/trielmarcoding shows the effects photographing an ExpoDisk at all three focal lengths and f4 with the lens detection both on and off for a coded lens Version I lens.

If it asks for a code enter "trielmarcoding" to access the images.

I had expected that it would at most be doing some vignette correction at 28mm, but it appears to do some color correction as well.

It will correct 28 and 35. 50 not so much.

I agree.  I was rather surprised it was doing anything at all at 50mm.  I didn't load it into Photoshop and actually check numerically what the variation might be, but visually is seems very slight.

Very slight but there if you look. 

First, I would like to say I love my Tri-Elmar MATE (Version 2). After 6+ years of use I have had no mechanical issues with it at all. It is my favourite lens to take on a lengthy walk or hikes and is the centre piece of my ultra-light lens set when light is good and weight must be minimized (MATE and Tri-Elmar WATE and Macro Elmar make a great 3 lens set). When changing focal lengths on either Tri-Elmar, a slow and firm twist is best. When traveling, my MATE is used for 66% of my daytime photography. When weight is not an issue, my other lenses dominate.

Second, here is an interesting piece of speculation about that front element on the MATE. About 4 years ago I was having a plastic pressure plate replaced on a Canon lens by one of Canada's more senior independent repair persons (31 years of service and counting) when our conversation turned to complex lens designs and their pro and cons. I mentioned the MATE as probably the most mechanically complex design I knew and that it was no longer made due to this complexity, possible fragility and the expense of use and maintenance. He frowned, looked at me and said that he did not agree. He said that he attended a repair symposium about Leica repairs and it was mentioned that the front element in the MATE contained thorium oxide which gave the glass a rather high and unique refractive index. It also made it a little radioactive. By 2005, this was not acceptable and a suitable replacement glass with similar optical properties or character could not be found, hence production was stopped. 

• Like 3

I am not certain what the correct answer is, but I remember that this issue was discussed some years back when we had the Forum Meeting in Germany. We were told by product manager Stefan Daniel that up until fairly recently the front element was bought from Sigma. Sigma stopped making it, and Leica started to buy it from Kyocera. Apparently they were not too happy with the quality and it was decided to end production. It was also clearly said that this was such an expensive lens to produce that Leica did not make much money selling it so they were quite happy to let it go.

Edited by Ivar B
  • Like 1

I am not certain what the correct answer is, but I remember that this issue was discussed some years back when we had the Forum Meeting in Germany. We were told by product manager Stefan Daniel that up until fairly recently the front element was bought from Sigma. Sigma stopped making it, and Leica started to buy it from Kyocera. Apparently they were not too happy with the quality and it was decided to end production. It was also clearly said that this was such an expensive lens to produce that Leica did not make much money selling it so they were quite happy to let it go.

Interesting. I always thought it was Tamron, not Sigma.

Learned something new today. Thanks.

Gordon

So I just got a call from the store. They've tested it on all their bodies, and everything worked. Maybe something got stuck and got unstuck during shipment. Anyway I'm getting it back Friday so we'll see then.

Well that's good news. Hopefully all is well now.

Leica would do well by making a new version of the MATE. I wonder whether it's on a "roadmap" somewhere? Maybe newer camera could select framelines from the 6 bit code rather than mechanically.

Gordon

• Like 1

Well that's good news. Hopefully all is well now.

Leica would do well by making a new version of the MATE. I wonder whether it's on a "roadmap" somewhere? Maybe newer camera could select framelines from the 6 bit code rather than mechanically.

Gordon

I can see that working with basically a coloured disc rotating underneath the bayonet... The mind boggles, but I would imagine that Leica would want that to work on their film bodies too.